placaminero

Why do we use our ring finger to apply eye cream?

(0) Hearts

I've heard the myth that our ring finger is the weakest, so using it on the delicate skin around our eyes is best. But it's just that.. A myth. Our ring fingers are considered the weakest, but really, the range of motion in certain activities is different from other fingers. The ring finger is just as likely to cause damage if used improperly as the pointer finger is to not cause damage if you apply a feather-light touch.

So, my question is.. Why use it? Is it just comfortable now, since it's out of habit? Do you use a different finger or another method of applying eye cream?

JenBlush

Re: Why do we use our ring finger to apply eye cream?

(0) Hearts

I think i use it because usually my index and middle fingers are usually the first to get dirty when applying makeup! (when you grab the brushes, to clean the fallout from the eye) So since the ring finger is rarely used in my case, It is the most clean and i know that if i use it for concealer or eyeshadow, i wont dirty something else!

But that is just me! lol

BlushHoarder

I have always heard it is because it has the most blood flow and is therefore the warmest and will therefore warm up your makeup and help it melt into the skin the best.

Ultimately, I think we all do it because we saw someone else do it.

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

I think you may be right about the blood flow...touching all of my fingertips, the ring finger pad does seem to be the warmest...and at least on the left hand side, I know it has a direct connection to your heart (hence wearing wedding rings on this finger).

placaminero

The "vena amoris" is just a folk legend. As far as finger veins go, they're all relatively similar to one another.

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

Lol, learn something new every day!

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Yes, I think the biggest reason is probably because it's how we were taught.

makeupmaven

Maybe it's a clever way to stop you from using the pointer finger, which is probably the strongest. I think the angle works as well (could you imagine using your pinky or thumb)...maybe the middle finger would be equal.

Either way, this is how I was taught and it works for me..gentle tapping motion, with most products cheekbone and browbone only...no pulling/ tugging. 

The ring finger also seems to have the largest pad besides the thumb, so I think this helps to apply the right amount of product. Shoot, I type crazy fast so all my fingers are probably pretty strong! =)

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I like to use my pinky since the rest of my fingers have other products on them that may be too strong/heavy to go near the eye area. 

makeupmaven

Interesting!

drrragon

(0) Hearts

Personally I use my ring finger to apply eye cream because it's the most conveniently situated and sized.  Try applying eye cream with your index fingers and the rest of your hands get in the way.  Try with a middle finger and it's too large and the cream goes everywhere (at least it does for me).  Try with the pinky and they're too short.  Ring finger....aaaah, perfect.

I honestly don't think amount of pressure has anything to do with it.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Applying with your ring finger gives you an equal amount of pressure when applying eye cream. You can easily cause wrinkles with too much pressure, that skin is super delicate and your ring finger is  recommended for the least amount of pressure and pull.

ChicDabbler

Lol, I delegate: index finger for opening the jar/bottle, middle finger for applying serum, ring finger for applying eye products, then middle finger for face moisturizer, and pinky for lips. =P

It wasn't intentional, but at some point I fell into that routine. o.O

placaminero

Maybe I should try your approach.. I wash my hands between every product and that can get to be a tad annoying, not to mention it dries my hands out.

mafan

I wash my hands a lot, too, but part of that is time between steps. Hair gel, wash everything. Index fingers for serum, middle for eye cream, wash. Dry hair. 

Serum sinks in while hair dries. Wash again because I've scrunched that gel. 

Moisturize, curl hair, wash hands. (Yes, I probably washed before curling my hair, too.)

Optional -- apply BB cream, using fingers of one hand. 

Eye primer with middle or ring finger, luminizer with index finger.

Wash, wash, wash -- that BB cream as fairly waterproof. 

Get out brushes, do everything else. Apply hand cream because hands are fairly dry now. But I do my hair between steps to save time and let things sink in. 

Someone mentioned lips and I really should add them. Most of my lip things are in my purse so they travel with me and some days I forget. I should at least use one of the huge number of tinted lip balms that I own or one of the little pots I have. I have a spare finger somewhere!

krunce

[ Edited ]

I don't think that it's a myth that our ring finger is the weakest. I think, physiologically, it really is the weakest, and has the smallest range of motion. It moves best when being moved with another ringer on the hand... so it has really bad muscle independence. I'm not sure on the anatomy of it, but I think it has to do with our musculature in the hand.

So if you test this out on your eye area with light tapping, you'll notice that an attempt to tap lightly with another finger (at least in my case) is still always higher pressure than any attempt to tap with a ring finger.

I'm not sure about your point about how the ring finger is just as likely to cause damage if you use it improperly though. As far as I understand, the important thing is lightness, moreso than tapping v. pulling.

placaminero

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oops, my reply was directed at your original post. :smileyhappy:

Anyhow, I tested out your tapping experiment and, as expected, my ring finger is able to exert the same amount of gusto as the rest of my fingers. Weakness and limited range of motion don't necessarily go hand in hand. (No pun intended.)

But what I mean is that since the eye area is so delicate, even the "weak" ring finger could cause damage by using improper technique and too much force. And on the same token our "stronger" pointer finger is capable of said feather-light touch, which would not cause damage.

placaminero

Well, our fingers actually have no muscles, which is why the myth that our ring finger is the weakest is exactly that.. A myth. It might seem to be weaker compared to other fingers, but it's that the range of motion is limited, due to the location. But without muscles in our fingers, there really isn't strength in them in particular. Fingers are controlled by tendons that are connected to the muscles in our palms and forearms. Therefore, all of our fingers have the same amount of force behind them. And our ring fingers are capable of applying the same amount of pressure as all the other fingers.

bittersweet86

I think it's just because we are not use to using our ring fingers so when you use a part of our bodies only once in a while we tend to be softer with it. I guess you can say it could be muscle memory or something. We use our pointer finger for pressing buttons or poking so we naturally press harder with that finger because that's what it's use to. Our pinkies, thumb and pointer are used most for grip like holding cups. So more likely our middle and ring finger are best because we don't use them much but putting on creams with our middle finger seems wrong so thus the ring. At least this is why I think we do haha

placaminero

Hahah, using the ring finger because the middle finger seems wrong.. Brilliant! I'll take it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • drrragon
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • bittersweet86