ChicDabbler

Weirdest/strangest beauty thing you've ever tried, and does it work?

So there are a lot of sketchy sounding DIY, or $43030402 treatment out there (I just read an article about facial contouring where you pay $85 for somebody to slap your face around, cellulite treatment where you get a butt mask (yea, you read that right), and the normal (in comparison) smearing strange stuff from animals onto your face).

Have you tried anything out of the ordinary? do they work? toothpaste on pimple? baking soda scrub? mayo hair mask? snail slime on face?

For me, I've read about milk bath but it seems so wasteful. I had a couple cups of milk that were just about to expire, so I did a milk soak for my feet instead. It was nice, but it wasn't amazing and I wouldn't miss it. Also, there was a strong smell of milk while I soak. I also tried rosewater/rose petals in the bath. Honestly rose petals are more for aesthetic purposes, but rosewater is pretty soothing and did make the water softer.

janinebt

Re: Weirdest/strangest beauty thing you've ever tried, and does it work?

The most obscure thing I've tried was an animal placenta hair mask. A ton of people I know swear by them and I did see an overall improvement in my hair...but it just grossed me out to know end knowing where the primary ingredient came from. Luckily the mask was scented which helped me in imaging something better on my hair.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
tashalicious

i would like to try animal placenta as a facial, i heard its the fountain of youth. lol

ChicDabbler

Eewww. Well, not that ew in the general scheme of things. Not animal placenta, but I have read an article where the celebrity have their own placenta made into pill and take after childbirth. o.O.......I read their reasoning, I don't buy it, so I forgot.

chauncie

I use a lot of Korean beauty products, and for about a year I used 4 jars of snail cream. I feel that it actually made my skin look really good. I even got compliments from my male friends telling me that my skin looked "pretty" and that I looked "glowy". I used 2 different Korean brands: Missha, and Mizon.

I also used a snail slime bb cream for about 2 months. I had to stop because I got a bit of a tan, and it only came in one color :smileysad:

Another odd thing that Ive used is "syn-ake" venom cream. It is a synthetic snake venom cream. With regular use, it promises to tighten your face. Its like botox but more mild. I used the cream day and night under my eyes for about 2 months...and I must admit that my fine lines appeared to be less noticeable.

I have also used different types of cotton masks, or "essence" masks for example: kelp, honey, pearl, caviar, snail slime, syn-ake venom, and pumpkin. After I used them, my skin felt refreshed.

I must admit that Asian beauty products may seem a little weird to people in the West, but I feel that they actually do what they promise to :smileyvery-happy:

Urbie

As a super easy tightening mask, I put a spoonful of regular (plain) greek yogurt- the lactic acid helps to exfoliate, and since greek yogurt is thicker, it doesn't run the way regular yogurt might.

Also, raw honey is a miracle product!  You can use it as a face mask (great for acne prone skin), and it is a natural humectant.  It has to be raw honey though, because the kind in the bear squeeze bottles has been heated, which destroys the enzymes that provide skin benefits.

Sugar, olive oil, and honey mixed together make a great all over exfoliating scrub.

krunce

I tried lightening parts of my hair with honey and water blend. I got really into it and found some amazing websites with extremely specific blending mixtures. I tried this a couple of times and had the hardest time washing the honey out of my hair.

Anyways, it didn't work, and I later found a BeautyBrains article contesting that theoretically, honey could release peroxide with the correct amount of water added but conditions, including proportions, quality of the water, type of honey, temperature, and time between mixing and application to hair, have to be absolutely perfect to produce any result :s. Statistically impossible for an at home solution :smileysad:

Meg82

I used to do this thing called "oxycising" where instead of a normal exercise routine you get into different poses and breathe in this really intense specific way.

It actually kind of worked, I lost like 10 lbs, but then I lost the tape and haven't gone back to it.  I always felt so silly.

Yuumei

OMG this is the exact same thing I was going to post :smileyhappy:  I would FORBID my boyfriend from even glancing towards the room I was in because I felt so ridiculous and I knew he would start laughing at me and then I wouldn't be able to finish my "workout" lol :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

Lol! oxycising! I have a low embarassment level and am shy enough doing light yoga. Ha, well, if your bf ever see you doing oxycising, at least he will be getting some stomache workout out of it? laughing hard for extended period of time can make your stomache sore. =X

annonymous1

The only thing thats every truly worked for me is a Dupe of a LUSH scrub, its called ocean salt, i made it out of literally sea salt, limes, an unscented lotion and vodka (not much, but it has astringent purposes) , and i think its literally the same exact thing.

also, mayo to get gum out of hair, as well as peanut butter.

i've done lemon juice before going to the beach, i spray it all over my hair and it does lighten it. 

and lemon, olive oil, and pure sugar, makes a really good lip scrub, (people have told me you could use it for your face too, but i wouldnt want my face to breakout because of the sugar)

kiml50

(0) Hearts

In what ratios did you make the dupe scrub? I'd love to try it out

annonymous1

this is not perfect, but i take a medium sized bowl and mix about 6 or 7 table spoons of sea salt (or as much as you need, i like to make a little bit at a time) about 2 limes (i then juice them, and crush the limes up so it smells even better) and then maybe half a cup of unscented lotion (i use unscented lubiderm lotion) and about a half a shot glass of vodka, this isent perfect but i have been making it this way for a while now and its saved me tons 

ChicDabbler

Hmmm, I might have to try the Lush scrub.

Ah, I have done sugar+olive oil scrub for face and it's fine. Just to make sure to cleanse/rinse really well afterward and it should be fine. I used organic brown sugar since I don't trust the overly processed/bleached white sugar.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

thats smart, maybe i'd dry it with the organic brown sugar, i know they have an organic pure cane sugar too that someone used and said it was good for them. 

the lush scrub is good it just needs to be like a creamy scrub thats why the lotion is important. but it smells so amazing too like limes

rikkie

The lush scrub sounds like it would smell so good! I may have to try it out too!

Beesca21

Gelatin and milk mixture as an alternative to Biore pore strips. Wasn't to excited about the results, but it might work for people with less blackheads. 

LCResz

Weirdest thing I've ever read was using monistat chaffing gel as a primer. First, I had no idea monistat made a chafing gel, and second, I can't think of how someone rubbing said gel on her thighs said, "Hey, maybe I can use this on my face!"

lightuptheroom

Oh I can pay someone to slap me in the face? Lmao.

I've read/heard about people using burnt toast crumbs to whiten their teeth. Somehow the "charcoal" bits of the toasted toast helps remove stains. Never tried it, but it's a totally big thing out there.

Monistat cream (miconazole nitrate, technically speaking) really does make your hair grow. Kills the fungus that lives on the scalp, which slows the natural growth cycle. EVERYONE has this "naturally occuring" fungus. Google it, if you haven't heard.

Using milk of magnesia to mattify skin has been a classic beauty secret since the 40's, maybe even earlier than that. Great for oily skin, it keeps you perfectly shine free all day when nothing else will. But you can't use it everyday because it will upset the ph balance of the skin and cause breakouts. I just use it when going out.

Crazy ideas, but I'll try anything that works.

ChicDabbler

Monistat cream? have you tried it? does it work? I'm curious (I'm only mid-20 and I only have half the hair I had 10 yrs ago T.T)

Otherwise I think I'm perfectly fine with my current toothpaste....

mafan

This medicine is used to treat yeast and fungal infections.  Yes, we all have a certain amount of this in our systems, and our bodies keep it under control.  Moist conditions usually cause more growth than our bodies can fight off.  That's why you get athletes foot, thrush, diaper rash, etc.

Personally, unless I KNEW I had a fungal infection on my head, I wouldn't be using what used to be prescription medicine on it.

Considering your age and your hair loss, however, I would have my doctor check my thyroid levels.  Hair loss can definitely be an indicator of different conditions, including having your thyroid be out of whack.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • annonymous1
    • chauncie
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan