ChicDabbler

Wait wait what? skincare glossary! =D

Ok, am I the only who likes to read ingredients list and stuff? Apparently Sephora have a beauty glossary that explains keywords like acne, retinol, vitamin K in a informative and concise matter.

http://www.sephora.com/explore-the-glossary?mediaId=18100052

For example:

Acne

The three factors in acne breakouts are oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria, and if any of these factors are out of balance, breakouts can occur. Acne is more likely to take place on the skin when experiencing stress, hormonal changes, excess oil production, and slower cell turnover with aging.

Silicone

Silicone is derived from sand and is used in cosmetics to provide an aesthetically pleasing formula, especially in serums and moisturizers. There are different grades of silicone, and cosmetics-grade silicones create an elegant, silky, and spreadable texture in skincare products. Silicone is a desirable ingredient because it can deliver the active ingredients in the product and immediately smooth the look of imperfections. Silicones prevent moisture loss and their properties make them porous (allowing the skin to breathe) as well as resistant to air.

syn: Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methicone, polydimethylsiloxane

MermaidBarbie

Re: Wait wait what? skincare glossary! =D

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the link. I was not aware of it, and I am definitely one to read ingredients and uses.

CaitlinBrunson

I just started taking my skincare regime really seriously and I cannot believe that I ever didn't read the ingredients! I have Keratosis Pilaris (aka stay AWAY from mineral oil in any way shape or form!) I love the synonym part !

thesupergirl

This is awesome!!! It's quite funny but my friends think I'm crazy for reading ingredients on makeup skincare etc.

ChicDabbler

It's ok, we are all kindred spirits here. =)

evno

This is amazing! I'm such a paranoid nut about what I put on my face, so this cuts down on my crazy, last-minute Googling. :smileyvery-happy:

iknowitstoday

What I LOVE this THANKS!!!!

ry22

Thanks for the information :smileyhappy: it is kinda sad that they don't put the cons of these incredients. Like petrochemicals make "form a protective barrier." However, it fails to include that mineral oil causes photosensitivity on skin (increases the risk for sun damage). Also, petrochemicals interfere with the body's own moisture regulation system and can actually cause dry skin and chapped lips. The reason cosmetic companies include them in their products is because the are cheap compared to their natural alternatives.

I wish Sephora would include the harmful side effects because saying that petrochemicals prevents chapping is at best disputed, at worst untruthful.

Sephora carries so many nice natural brands (Tarte, bareMinerals, Josie Maran, Korres, Origins, Boscia, Alterna, and tenoverten to name a few of my favorites) I think it would be good to promote them as well by including that harmful chemicals are in fact harmful in their Glossary. One of the many reasons I shop at Sephora is their great selection of natural products.

spedteacher74

Thanks!   I didn't know this was there!

PoesRevy

Thanks for posting this. It is always great to have more information when product searching/or prior to purchasing.

sunshine38

Nice!  Thanks for sharing this resource.

kirstensf

Such a great resource and wealth of information.  I was super happy when we added this (semi-recently) to the site.

aviscardi

what!!! must see. I read ingredients as well. Like when i want to make sure a foundation is water based, doesn't have bismuth etc 

DTalksAll

I never saw this! Thanks :smileywink: 

spoiledbrat

sheet the bed, arielaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa isn't the only one with a new name! LMAO as i sit here with riveting read of the PDR! :smileyhappy: : ) :smileyhappy:

lucyshnoosy

How did  you even find this?  Thank you for posting it!

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

At the top of sephora, mouse over skincare on the far right, bottom of the box, under the bold Skincare Advice is Skincare glossary

ChicDabbler

I just found this randomly as I was browsing the site cuz I don't feel like staring at the same "new" and "sales" page for the 3rd time today. =X

#IHaveNoLife

jellybean917

OMG, thank you for posting this, and thank you Sephora for doing this!

arielaaaaaaaa

Ahhh, I love reading ingredients!! Does this make us weird @beautytester :smileytongue:

ChicDabbler

@arielaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Nope, it makes ups savvy. =P

I mean if a $60 jar of moisturizer have water, alcohol and dimethicone as the top 3 ingredients, I'm not buying it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • kirstensf
    • spoiledbrat
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • aviscardi
    • ry22