Answer
exoticbeauty1
Skincare for 10 and 11 yr olds?
[ Edited ]

My 10 and 11 year old daughters are growing up fast.  Is it too soon for skincare?  I have them wash their faces with Aveeno foamy cleanser but should they moisturize?  If so, what should they use?  They both have great skin, (but I'm their mom so everything about them is great).  To be specific they have fair skin, freckled faces.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
tenngal
Answered

Being a mom myself, I understand exactly how you feel about wanting to protect your children's skin.  The cleanser you have them using is fine.  If you wanted to change to an all natural, soap-free cleanser then I would recommend Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser which you can read all about here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12978&categoryId=B70

The main thing that you can add to your daughters' skincare regimen is to make sure that they wear sunscreen on their faces every day whether they wear makeup or not to help prevent pre-mature aging, prevent skin cancer and to keep their freckles like they normally are without multiplying or becoming darker.  Although having freckles is a genetic trait, sun exposure can cause the spots to darken or multiply.  If you have freckles, wearing a sunscreen every day is imperative, because people with freckles are more susceptible to the sun's rays.  A sunscreen of at least SPF 30 will help them from multiplying.  I'm going to suggest a couple of sunscreens that are gentle, invisible once absorbed and won't cause clogged pores or skin breakouts.

First of all, there is Kate Somerville Protect SPF 55 Serum Sunscreen which is a quick-absorbing, oil free formula that delivers powerful UV protection with its SPF 55.  It is a mild, water-resistant sunscreen that includes broad-spectrum, UVA/UVB sun protection without any white residue, greasiness or stickiness. This complexion care essential offers a rich dose of antioxidants for further protection against damage and premature aging.  This sunscreen is paraben-free and is ideal for daily use for all skin types, including oily and problematic skin.  You can find it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P238608&categoryId=B70

A less expensive alternative that is still an extremely good product (but not sold at Sephora) is Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50 and it's 100% naturally sourced.  It is waterproof and sweat-proof and has the consistency of water so it absorbs very quickly and leaves no greasy residue.  It gives you an even, non-shiny finish and works so great under my makeup that I can't tell that I'm even wearing a sunscreen.  It is perfect for sensitive skin because it is PABA-free, fragrance-free, dye-free, oil-free and is free of irritating chemical ingredients.  It is also hypoallergenic.  You can purchase it anywhere that Neutrogena products are sold (Ulta, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

Right now cleansing and using a sunscreen are the most important things that your girls can do for their skin. 

I hope this helps!  :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • emiea
    • ran8
    • exoticbeauty1