chanty
Accepted Solution

Skincare Regimen Help Needed

I turned 30 last summer and I'm thinking its time for an updated skincare regimen, but I don't know where to begin. I didn't give my skin a second thought in my teens (other than makeup removal), and my 20's included the bare minimum (Clinique 3 Step, eye cream, and sun protection).

I'm not entirely sure what my skin type is. It LOOKS oily (large pores and allover shine) but ACTS dry (flakes, itches, and feels tight). Its not shiny in some spots and dry in others, but rather both occuring concurrently.  I don't breakout often - just a few blackheads and a couple of pimples a month, which I think is pretty normal.  I am, however, very prone to redness, which is entirely unresponsive to Clinique's Redness Relief line.

And one more point I'd like some input on: is this the age where I should be starting to look into an anti-aging skincare line, or should that wait for closer to my 40's? In the last year some relatively minor signs of aging have starting to stick around - namely signs of stress in my forehead (creasing between and above brows, giving me a slightly 'worried' look), along with puffiness and a few very fine lines under my eyes.

I'm not looking for specific product suggestions so much as just basic input on what TYPES of products to look for. Any imput on what might work for my type of skin would be endlessly appreciated.

beautygirl3

Re: Skincare Regimen Help Needed

(0) Hearts

Hi,

It sounds like your skin is oily but dehydrated, so you just need some balance to it. A great moisturizer that should help is the Pomegranate Balancing Cream Gel Moisturizer from Korres. It's light weight, non greasy, fast absorbing, and it helps mattify the skin and minimize pores...basically everything you're looking for! I would definitely recommend heading over to your local Sephora and grabbing some samples to try out.

As far as anti-aging goes, it wouldn't hurt to add in a few things now. An anti-aging serum would be a good start, and an eye cream targeted towards puffiness and fine lines. Hope this helps!

prissyb

(0) Hearts

you should use tinted moisterizer instead of foundation, if you're looking for less oil in your makeup routine.

julienc

(0) Hearts

Hi, chanty!  What you described with redness, a few pimples, etc., sounds more like rosacea than acne.  They can act very much alike, but rosacea is a little different.  Rosacea can only be diagnosed properly by a dermatologist, and I say this from experience.  I had terrible acne in my teens and twenties, but the redness got worse as I got into my 30s.  I still had pimples and bumps, but it was not like the earlier acne.  Once my derm began treating my rosacea, things got much better, and at 48, I rarely have any problems with it. 

When it comes to skincare for rosacea, less is more.  Choose a soothing moisturizer, preferably with sunscreen for day, and just use enough to do the job.  Use a mild eye cream as well.  As for cleansers, I recommend a very mild, slightly foaming cleanser followed by an alcohol-free toner. This should help with the rosacea as well as the minor signs of aging you described.

Hope that helps!

tallwoman

It is not to soon to look into anti-aging products.  From how you describe your skin, it sounds like oily skin which has a tendency to be sensitive and mildy acne- prone.  The types of products to look for are ones which will not dry out your skin or contain benzoyl peroxide or alot of alcohol.  Look for products that contain natural botanical ingredients(example aloe vera, cucumber, tea tree oil) which will soothe your skin. A good oil-free moisturizer with an SPF.  Cleansers with glycolic acid. Your skin could also benefit from salicylic acid products too.  Retinol products are good at addressing aging but tend to be very drying and irritating to the skin.  I use one called Retiniacin which has retinol and vitamin b combined with peptides and it is non irritating and absorbs very well into the skin.  Products with vitamin C have proved to be very beneficial. Products with Matrixyl plump up the skin.  By the way, Clarisonic Mia works great on a large majority of people with oily and aging skin concerns. It actully helps to clean out congested pores and helps smooth the texture of the skin.  Is the redness related to skin irritation by products or a health issue like rosacea??  There are so many things on the market that work and are very effective. Some stand out more than others because of alot of hype and they do not deliver.  Then there are others which are in the background and have not been discovered or are not as popular but deliver results.   I have had success with Isomers and Mario Badescu Skincare lines.  I have oily, acne prone, sensitive and also "mildly" aging skin(frown lines).Yes, I am older than you and the frown lines did not happen overnight. So, my personal opinion is that it is not too soon to start using anti-aging products to maintain healthy skin.:smileywink: 

chanty

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I'll start looking into new skincare products with those ingredients. I've been considering a Clarisonic for over a year now, and I think its about time I picked one up. As for the redness, its not there when I first wake up in the morning, but it is by the time I'm putting my makeup on, so I think its more of a reactive redness. Its not blotchy or bumpy or anything like that - more of a deep natural blush. I'm also very fair skinned, so it could also just be blood circulation showing through a little too much. Hopefully the right products will help with that though.

sephoramusthave

Weleda Sensitive Skin Regime or Weleda Wild Rose Regime ( for women in their 30's). The Sensitive Regime has a killer score on cosmeticsdatabase.com and their Facial Oil will get rid of all dryness/flakiness ( its also a fantastic make up remover, it breaks down everything like none other without pulling and tugging at delicate skin). This company has a regime for every age, and there's a quiz on their website that you can take and get the products that it recommends for you. I love this company and this brand-they really are the bomb diggety.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • tallwoman
    • chanty
    • beautygirl3
    • julienc
    • prissyb