Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

[ Edited ]

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

(0) Hearts

Thoughts on DE Baby Facial vs. the Ordinary's 30% BHA/AHA

so i got a couple of samples of the DE and I've had ordinary's for a while now

So I was a little nervous about trying drunk elephants, because either their glycolic serum or their vitamin c serum gave me little bumps all over my forehead (I normally have a completely clear forehead so this was not "purging") and thought it was due to the marula oil which the baby facial has in it. I washed my faces after to make sure no residue was to avoid any irritant and didn't have the issues that I've had with the serums.

The baby facial isn't as strong as ordinary's. Both sting, but the baby facial only stings a little bit when I put it on and then I only notice it stinging some of the time. Both exfoliate well, but I think the ordinary does a little bit more. The baby facial is a thicker paste and the ordinary is a liquid. I felt I wasted more/it was harder to build up the baby facial where I could add more layers to the ordinary's. 

I used the ordinary on the same day I used herbivore blue tansy mask (blue tansy in the Am and the ordinary in the pm). This was me being an idiot because it was the first time trying the herbivore mask and it was super gentle compared to their pineapple mask so I'm like it's the pm I can do my ordinary mask. Well, I got dry patches underneath my nose from overdoing it. My fault of being dumb and not listening to the skin when it was burning more than normal. The ordinary's is definitely strong

when used properly, I like the ordinary's results a little more. Neither smell was offensive to me. The baby facial would be for people than want a thicker texture and a slightly gentler formula and don't mind the price. The ordinary is for people who want a strong mask and a liquid formula. Feel free to ask me questions about both. I will not be purchasing DE though.

on another note, I was surprised that herbivores blue tansy was gentler than the pineapple mask. The tansy didn't see to exfoliate me at all (no tingling) but did make my skin smoother without any redness (hence why I thought I could do two acid masks in one day). The pineapple mask will make my skin red at first but more glowy the next morning. I like both masks. I like the pineapple smell better, but I think I like that blue tansy is a little more gentle/I can use it more frequently without irritating my skin. 

@sierrafallon I just wanted to clarify something you mentioned.

both products are actually the same 'strength' as they are both a 30% AHA.

tingle isn't really indicative of strength or how well something exfoliates so much as it indicates irritation. If one tingles less, it's likely because they have more skin conditioning and anti irritant ingredients included to mitigate the tingle.

one of the ways the ordinary claims they keep their prices down is to leave out a lot of the 'buffer' ingredients like that.

that said, it's a good thing all you experienced when using the blue tansy and the aha 30 on the same day was flaking. The blue tansy is also an aha bha mask, albeit a not as potent one.

@Mochapj  Good points.

On a similar note - Good Genes seems benign due to all the skin conditioning ingredients as well, but it still is 40%.  Sometimes the lack of tingle or burn might encourage more frequent use....and that doesn't work out well either.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@greenchilli Also good points!

I read recently (amidst all SR's litigation news) that the GG 40% thing is a misnomer.

IMG_0218.PNG

supposedly it's really only 5% but the ingredients it is compounded with are supposed to give the effects of a 40% peel.

personally I don't understand how they can get away with making misleading statements like that, but I guess maybe that's why they're being sued 😊

Hi! 

I'm in desperate need of some advice. I've never suffered from sensitive skin and never struggled with trying new products. However, it seems that after using the Foreo Luna mini 2, whenever I try a new cleanser, my face freaks out and breaks out in a rash. My usual cleanser is the Korres Greek Yoghurt Cream Cleanser but so far I've gotten a rash with the Purity 3 in 1, and Clinique Sonic Cleanser (I think it's called). I never really minded too much with those two samples, but I just purchased the Youth to the People Age Prevention Superfood Cleanser and it's happened again. Smiley Sad It's quite disappointing to me just because I really had high hopes for this cleanser considering how natural its ingredients are. 

Has anyone else experienced increased sensitivity after using the Foreo Luna collection?

(0) Hearts

Hi @claudez I haven't used Foreo Luna so I'm not sure how much physical exfoliation it provides so may be discontinue it's use for now until your skin gets back to normal and then reintroduce once or twice a week only. As for Cleanser, I also bought the YTTP Cleanser after reading the reviews but Skin didn't like it. I doesn't necessarily means that it isn't a good Cleanser. It just isn't for us, so try some gentle Cleanser maybe cleansing milk? It is a good idea to get samples of a few if you have a store near you. For I me I think Cleanser is one thing I can tell if my skin likes it or not after a single use. 

(0) Hearts

@claudez so it's not per se your cleansers but that your skin doesn't like being physically exfoliated with the foreo so often. So either cut back on how often you are using the device

of the cleansers you've mentioned, I'm not a fan of any of them, but to each their own. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it won't irritate your skin. 

A lot of people rav about the eye dew and honestly it gave me a red dry patch on my eye skin. Likely related to one of their "natural" ingredients that my skin didn't like.

i'd switch to a cereve cleanser or a first aid beauty cleansers and try with using the foreo less often

or you could try your cleansers without the foreo

(0) Hearts

Hi! Im interested in trying Drunk Elephant. Do you guys think The Littles set is worth it? 

Right now I only cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize (but with aveeno only). 

OR Im debating on just getting the full sized La la cream and then the mini duo of the peke/juju bars. 

I'm 26. Normal skin mostly. Drier in the winter and oilier in the summer. No acne but I have eczema (on my body not face). 

I'm curious about serums and treatments. Are they something I need to start implementing?

http://www.sephora.com/the-littles-P419444

@ayeshayh Is that the set for $90 US?  The link isn't working for me but if it's the same as the one on the DE website, I personally don't think it's worth it. The sample sizes are pretty small for figuring out if they work for you or not. My vote would be to go with lala retro and the mini cleanser duo to start and then find a Sephora that carries the brand and ask for samples of the Vitamin C and Glycolic Serums. The vitamin C serum is more gentle but it didn't do much for me so my personal recommendation would be for the glycolic serum if your skin can tolerate exfoliation.

I personally haven't tried the cleansers because I don't like bar cleansers even though I know DE's are well-formulated.  I find that I can get away with several other gentle cleansers. However the mini duo set sounds like a good option if you want to try both.

I'm a really big fan of the brand and love that they don't include silicone or fragrance.  They also have excellent customer service responses so feel free to contact them directly if you have any questions.  

Do you like the La la moisturizer? 

@ayeshayh I love Lala Retro!  It keeps my skin so well moisturized and I love that it's in an airless pump. I have B-Hydra too and I like the lightweight texture, but I don't think I really need it.  My skin is dry to normal so B-Hydra isn't enough moisture on it's own and it's nice under Lala Retro but probably not necessary.

Thank you so much! Thats really helpful. And Yeah the set is $100 CAD Smiley Indifferent 

(0) Hearts

Does anyone know if Sunday Riley Luna Oil and Good Genes can be replaced with anything from Decium? Wishful thinking maybe but...

(0) Hearts

Hi @ChristalM the ordinary retinoid 2% is a dupe for SR luna and for me it works better! Hope it's help Smiley Happy

@ChristalM I'm not sure about Luna Oil, but Tracy at the fanserviced-b blog reviewed 17 lactic acid products hoping to find a dupe for Good Genes. A few of them sound promising!

@JenniferOhJenny Thanks! I will check that out!

(0) Hearts

You're welcome - I hope you find something!

(0) Hearts

Lately I'm getting tiny rough patches exactly where my glasses rest on the bridge of my nose. Is there anything I can do about it? I never had this issue with my old glasses, but I can't switch back because my prescription changed.

(0) Hearts

Do you have an allergy to the material?

(0) Hearts

No, the new glasses are made from the same sort of resin/plastic as the old pair (at least I think so since the same parent company makes both and it looks like the same material). I just switched from Prada baroque frames to Miu Miu rasoir frames. 

They even rest on approximately the same area of my nose.

My skincare regimen has changed a little bit, but I'm not getting roughness anywhere else.