Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Has anyone tried derma-rolling? Do you like it? Has it helped acne scaring?

Which one did you buy?

Thanks!

I bought one a few months ago and I have yet to notice a...

I bought one a few months ago and I have yet to notice a difference. I've been using it with a vitamin C serum as well. I hope you have better luck?

Not yet, but I def plan to! I will be buying:

- dermaroller size 0.25

-  DR ROEBUCK’S Boost & Tighten Serum (to use during)

good luck!!!!

SOS! 😞 Sorry for lengthy post.

My skin is going crazy. It started roughly 2 months ago. I've been working so hard for the past year+ to get clear skin but then suddenly everything blew up. I changed nothing in my regimen, and I seem to be getting break outs even on nights without any skincare products. Some are cystic acne.. and I used to get those like once in a blue moon.

The break outs are on my jaw line. I looked it up and apparently it could be related to hormones, but I'm still having the same issue, 2 months later. When one blemish goes away, another pops up. I don't want to even get started on the acne scars I've accumulated in just 2 months 😞

HELP 😞 I've come here because I feel like I've run out of options. I've tried:

• Cosrx acne pads
  • Changing/washing brushes and sponges
  • The Ordinary Retinoid

My current regimen (AM):

• Eborian Yuza Double Lotion
  • Clinique vit C
  • Belif moisturizer
  • Nivea water gel sunscreen

(PM):

• Son & Park Beauty Water
  • The Ordinary Niacinamide serum
  • Belif moisturizer

I cleanse my face thoroughly with Philosophy Purity. I use Clarisonic every other day.

I have THE SAME hormonal break outs. I feel your pain (literally). With hormonal breakouts the solution isn't so much what products to you, but what lifestyle choices to make. You could follow a PCOS diet.

I would cut out dairy and eggs immediately and give that about a month or so to work. The time is needed because your body needs to be free of them and heal inside-out. Dairy is the #1  culprit for my hormonal breakouts. The thing is too, I could have ONE BITE of pizza and I'm paying the price for TWO WEEKS. It's vicious. 

For products, I find that keep hormonal breakouts moisturized helps to keep them small. Use a redness reducing mask or peel for leftover marks. 

But be PATIENT and try not to stress over them so much (ya ya I know, not happening) becuase they are so large and deep, it takes precise care for them. 

ALSO! wash your cell phone and work phone, don't rest on your head on your hand on your desk, etc...stop touching 

If this routine has worked for you in the past (how long have you had this routine, by the way?) I think it really could be hormones.

I started having hormonal breakouts too last year, in places that I rarely ever broke out. And instead of the nice pustules that eventually come to a head and can be carefully extracted, I get these angry red papules (not quite a cyst, but still annoying) instead.

I can almost pinpoint exactly when I started getting hormonal breakouts. Unfortunately, it took more than 2 months to get under control. It's not easy to  hear, but it will definitely take time for them to calm down. I've accepted that I'll have to deal with and manage hormonal breakouts for the rest of my life.

I'm going to go out on a whim based on our past conversations and assume you're in your early/mid twenties. What I've learned aging past 25 is that my skin's need for exfoliation (chemically) has increased exponentially. It looks like your CosRX pads have BHA, which is great, but perhaps you could slowly introduce an AHA in your routine and use it once per week to help loosen the skin cells and help them slough off?

I'm also with @MissPuff that although the Ordinary Zinc + Niacinamide serum didn't break me out initially, but with continued use (1-2x per day, every day, after about 2 weeks) I also started noticing little red bumps in my lower cheek/jaw area. I stopped using, and the bumps went away.

And when I do get a papule (I'm battling one now, actually, that just popped up last week), my arsenal consists of the following: warm compress with wet towel in the PM for ~20 minutes, Renee Rouleau Anti-Cyst treatment (not a miracle product but has AHA to help exfoliate skin), Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion for when the pimple starts to die down, and this has really, really helped in the past: Epsom salt in just enough water to dissolve the crystals, and used as a spot treatment mask.

And do remember to nourish that area too. I try not to attack pimples with too many harsh products so I rotate the things I listed above, but I the skin still ends up being a little dry. My facial oil usually helps with that.

Good luck @myumew! I know how frustrating these types of breakouts can be.

@myumew Oh no! Unexplained acne is the WORST. Since it sounds like your skincare routine hasn't really changed up, could it be lifestyle related? When I'm stressed/sleep deprived, I break out like crazy, giant, angry, pimples. If I'm dehydrated or my diet has been kinda crap, then I get random smaller breakouts around my nose/cheeks. Then of course the hormonal ones around my mouth and chin.

When I do feel breakouts coming on, my life saver has been Origins 10 minute Rescue Mask. I'll slather on a nice thick layer after cleansing and toning, leave it on for about 30 minutes, then rinse off. Follow up with a quick swipe of Son & Park Beauty water to remove any remaining residue, then my serum, moisturizer and oil (depending on the season). Clarifying/decongesting masks might really help with the acne.

Going through your routine, for me, I had to stop using the Ordinary Niacinamide serum after a several weeks because it was causing me to breakout. Not big acne, but smaller cysts and lots of texture. This was after no immediate reaction from initial use, so who knows?

Good luck!

@MissPuff Thank you so much for your response! I'm definitely going to be trying the Origins mask. I'm trying so hard to determine what the cause of these break outs are. 😕

@myumew I'm just bumping it up so you can get some suggestions for your acne. I'm not much knowledgeable about acne products but I. Sure there are many who can chime in and help you establish a good routine.

Question regarding Facial Oils that double as serums or replace moisturisers (preferably natural options)

I've recently tried to overhaul my skincare regime to really work for me while of course trying to stay mindful of ingredients (I'm fairly new to more natural options). I've been using serums for a few years but have now discovered facial oils. Any opinions on great facial oil options that are multi-purpose (either double as a serum or used instead of moisturiser)?

I'm 31 and starting to notice those "fine lines" so some options to combat early aging would be great! I currently use the Body Shop's Oils of Life but it's coming to an end and I'm starting to think it has some added ingredients I'm not keen on. I'm liking the look of Herbivore's Phoenix (for PM) and Orchid (for AM) oils. I know a lot of people like the Lapis oil from Herbivore but I don't really have issues with my skin so I don't think it's right for me. Has anyone tried those two specifically? Thanks!

Hi again @Bluecrusher!

Am I correct to assume you have drier skin since you don't think the Lapis is right for you?

I am lucky to have very normal skin, not really oily or dry. I break out slightly more now that I've turned 30 but it is very minimal. The reviews I read for Lapis online seemed to suggest it was for skin prone to redness and acne. The Phoenix and Orchid oils seemed to be more all around oils.

@Bluecrusher I have very slightly oily skin on my nose, otherwise everything else is normal and I use Lapis! Am about to finish my bottle and will buy another since I use up my bottle of Sunday Riley UFO. I don't have redness nor acne (just the odd breakout here and there) and it's made a huge difference in my skin. It's much more balanced and glowy. 

With that said, I think you may very well be better off with Phoenix for PM. I do use it from time to time and I find it best for winter as it's quite rich. 

If you want a lightweight option, squalane, while not an oil, is wonderful. My current PM oil is the Biossance Squalane and Vitamin C Rose oil. My skin has been glowing since using this product!

I also really liked the Laura Mercier Rose oil...used up a bottle and only stopped purchasing because it wasn't carried on the Canadian Sephora site for a period of time. 

Some other good options for normal skin IMO: Josie Maran Argan Light, Drunk Elephant Marula

Questions about sebum and acne:
I've been using Sunday Riley Luna oil, followed by good genes, nightly and I've honestly noticed an improvement in my acne flare ups. My biggest concern right now is the texture and sebum build up on my t zone, across my cheeks and around my mouth.

I've heard good things about the Herbivore blue tansy mask, but will I be overdoing it if I'm already using a lactic acid treatment as well as a glycolic toner (pixie glow tonic).

Is there something else I should be adding or eliminating from my routine that might help with sebaceous filaments?

The Herbivore blue tansy mask is awesome. I have dry acne prone skin and tend to break out during that time of the month and the mask calms everything down and even minimizes the size and redness of my breakouts. I also use the Phoenix oil at night too. They both work wonders

RE: Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I agree you may overdoing it! Stick with a routine in the morning and night.

@Quinnyquinn it sounds to me like you might be over stripping your skin.

i wouldn't add the herbivore mask in at this time. Rather, I would suggest pulling back on what you're currently doing (perhaps to GG twice a week?) and see if that resolves your issues.

when you overstrip your skin it can often push back by producing even more oil.

Agreed with @Mochapj, all the chemical exfoliation and retinol in your routine may be too much.

I use the Blue Tansy mask approx. once per week but I don't use AHA and retinol more than 2-3 times a week (on separate days, too). I don't think adding the Blue Tansy mask will help solve the sebum buildup/texture issue. I think you could be doing more damage than good to your skin by adding more products.

My skin is really oily is there a good product that can help?

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm looking for any recommendations for a sleeping mask. I have Clinique Moisture Surge and Nude Advanced Renewal overnight masks and they don't really wow me. I feel like my regular night cream (Algenist Overnight Restorative) is more moisturizing. I don't want anything with AHA or anything other chemical exfoliant, as I would use said mask after a glycolic peel. I'm a little sensitive to fragrance but if it's near the end of the list of ingredients it won't be a big deal. I'm also sensitive to orange/lemon or any citrus extracts/oils etc. Thanks in advance!

Farmacy's Sleep Tight is nice af

Farmacy's Sleep Tight is nice af
731 Replies
testing