Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

The problem with the DE vitC serum is that this product is water based but the vitC used is ascorbic acid which oxidizes with the water so DE needs to reformulate this product completely to avoid this major problem.
Anonymous Insider

New here! Really need help looking for cleansers, moisterizers, toners, etc the reduces the size of pores, helps with blackheads, & evens the texture of my skin tone! i'm 17 years old & big pores runs in the family. It is already starting for me & i really wanna find products that'll start helping me out! Any tips or recommendations would be amazing.

Mario Badescu makes a great skincare regime. Their drying lotion is a lifesaver for pimples (glass bottle with pink liquid). For large pores, I think the brand Benefit is the best with their pore minimizing primers. I’ve heard Clinique is a great brand for pores, pimples and clearing up skin.

#queenbellaleigh have you tried Tarte Knockout Tingling Treatment? It has seriously helped me. And definitely try using a mud mask as often as your skin will take it. The entire GlamGlow mask line has been amazing for me! My pores are practically invisible now, and they have been large for almost (ahem) 25 years!!! Wish I had access to all these products when I was a teenager! It sucked to have huge pores and not know what to really do about it. Good luck, I know you will get some great advice on this stream!

I also have really large visible pores. I use FAB red clay cleanser;son and park beauty water in the morning as a toner and pixi glow tonic at night;a few other serums to target any concerns; snail mucin from Cosrx (I don’t like to use this under makeup) and always a water cream last. This really helps for me, I find my pores look a lot tighter and it is easier to apply powders on top of my skin now. Also I shave with a small eyebrow razor to manually exfoliate.

I swear by Juice Beauty's blemish clearing serum for even...

I swear by Juice Beauty's blemish clearing serum for evening skintone and keeping blemishes at bay. I've always had good skin but as I get older, I find my skintone uneven and I just keep coming back to this product everytime.

IT cosmetics is a brand Tailored to those needs when it comes to make up so try them out! But when it comes to toner and cleansers there are a whole bunch of options. I used to have really bad scene and black heads. I still have blackheads but the appearance of them reduced with the Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal mask! I swear by it!

Re: RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@Anonymous Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to change the actual size of your pores since that's genetic, BUT you can work to make them less noticeable by keeping them cleaned out! I'd start with using detoxifying masks once or twice a week. Caudalie's Instant Detox is my favorite. And you can use gentle exfoliants, either chemical or physical, to keep blackheads at bay. 

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I am looking for recommendations on a good summer time moisturizer for oily skin that tends to go a bit overly oily in hot weather. Throughout the summer I kept using Murad hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture and I love it. My skin is currently well hydrated which also means no excessive oil pouring out of my face. I’m not sure if it will work equally good in summer as well. 

Has anyone with oily skin tried it in both seasons and can share their thoughts? Should I re- buy it or consider something different for upcoming hot weather? Thanks!

@fatimamummy I'm also a fan of the Murad Hydro Dynamic Moisture though I've got more combo skin. In the summer though, my skin gets quite dewy and almost leans oily, and I switch to Belief Aqua Bomb (the blueish one). I find it to be super light yet hydrating, perfect for summer while not quite heavy duty enough for dry new england winters.

You could try it out on the first few warmer days to see how it wears. But if you want to change, try the tatcha water cream.  It's really lightweight, but will keep your hydration up. Oh! And it great for brightening! 

@krystle713 I have been hearing quite hyped reviews on Tatcha water cream. I ordered the set of cream and cleanser minis to check them out. If I like it, I may pick full size during second round of sale.

Hey friends,

I'm on vacation in FL from the Northeast. I usually rotate Drunk Elephant Framboos AHA and adepalene or tretinoin every other night. I also acid tone and use Drunk Elephant C-Firma daily. I use a 30 SPF daily on my face even up north in the winter, but I'm wondering if I should tone down my actives use while I'm on vacation? (I already brought them all with me.)

I am either going to baseball games or at the pool daily, so it's hard to limit my sun exposure. I do have the Super Goop SPF setting mist that I use to reapply when I remember, but I'm afraid maybe it's not enough. I don't see myself slopping on sunscreen every 2 hours, though I would maybe every 3 or 4.

Do I cut back on the AHA/retinoid use? Can I still use the vit c serum daily? I don't want my skin to fry more than it already does going from no sun to full sun. But this routine has my skin looking so nice and blemish free!

New here! 🙋🏻 Looking for any gel-based skin care products for oily skin. Any good recos under 20 USD? 

Did anybody get the Foreo UFO on kickstarter? I've had such good luck with my Luna I'm really tempted to get one!

hi there im trying to figure out what type of moisturizer...

hi there im trying to figure out what type of moisturizer i should use i have combination skin my nose and part of my cheeks get super oily during the day but my chin and around my mouth get super dry i recently bought boscia tzubaki moisture cream and gel moisturizer at first i loved it but after a couple of uses i noticed that my skin started to dry out even more in dry areas and the inside of my glasses turned a bit green i have never had that happened to me so im trying to find another moisturizer for i tried belife the aqua bomb gel and my skin absolutely loved it gave it a nice supple dewy glow to my skin but it sort of made me shine a little too much on my nose also i noticed really good reviews on the new drunk elephant protini cream for combination skin so what i really want help for is if i should stick back to the belif aqua bomb or try out the new drunk elephant cream ?

Re: hi there im trying to figure out what type of moisturizer...

Belif aqua bomb also made me look too greasy /shiny/oily 😔 planning to return it

Seems like no matter how much I scrub, buff, exfoliate, etc., my chin is always dry and flaky, even in the summer. My skin is normally combination that leans toward oily but gets drier in the winter.

Also, does anyone know a good, cruelty-free dupe for Tatcha The Deep Cleanse? I got a sample and like it but am hoping there's something like it for much cheaper.

@shyvicki How often are you exfoliating and what products you use for it? The dry flaky skin can also be a result of over exfoliating.

Need some recommendations for backheads (they are getting out of hand) and how to prevent break outs!! 

@jtrapp I definitely agree with the other posters below on incorporating a BHA. It has worked wonders for my skin and blackheads. (I should note my skin seems to tolerate BHAs very well; better than AHAs. This is not true for everyone so YMMV.)

I have used The Ordinary's option but I found it did not make as much of a difference as I have experienced with the Paula's Choice option. PC is my go-to. I used to use the 2% liquid (for years) but recently I have switched to the Pore-Refining line (4%). I'm very happy with it. Both The Ordinary and PC are slightly sticky as they dry, but it's just for some minutes before I moisturize so it doesn't bug me too much.

Ease into using a BHA (or any chemical exfoliant) just to make sure you don't over do it and that your skin takes well to it. But I use it regularly now. 

731 Replies
testing