Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I do like the results very much and hope with weekly use, I will get long term effects like you got @mrsbaine

@fatimamummy That's so interesting! I got that promo too but haven't tried the eye masks yet. So glad you had a good result!

oh, I'm really happy to know the Shiseido eye masks worked for you, I want to try the one I have soon! Guess it will be a mystery about the Philosophy product you tried, on why it did that. but maybe it had some other random allergic type ingredient. But your post motivates me to try that Shiseido eye mask I just got (the vib promo recently). 🙂 🙂 

I know lots of you like The Ordinary so just wanted to say that they are coming out with a foundation and the details are in The Spring Thread... just in case some of you who like the brand didn't see this info. 🙂

***ADVICE NEEDED***

I'm trying to alter between oil, moisturizer, night mask.  I'm currently using Dr. Brandt Do Not Age Night Cream.  I like the consistency and how hydrated it makes my skin.  Wondering if anyone has tried the SK-II R.N.A Power Radical New Age Cream and if they can can tell me whether it lives up to the hype or not.  thanks!

@mspera80 I had two samples of the RNA cream and didn't see a dramatic change. It is a hydrating cream, if that is all you are looking for...I do swear by the SKII essence. That has made a world of difference in my face when layered under creams. 

a little PSA from personal experience: exfoliation is good. it helps keep texture and tone even. it helps products like serums and moisturizers absorb better and therefore be more effective. AHA acid exfoliating in particular is best (presuming your skin is not sensitive to glycolic, lactic, etc) imo as it both helps kill bacteria in zits as well as maintain the acid mantle of the skin (that is, slightly acidic. when the skin is too alkaline--prone to happen with soapy washes etc--the skin will be stressed, tight, red and angry pimples can emerge. oil production may increase, etc). too much acid exfoliation can be a disaster, too, though. i have pretty firm control and understanding of when too much is too much, but i still tip the edge every now and then, and this is what happens:

a mix of oily and dehydrated skin. and pimples in unusual places. usually on my cheeks or nose. right now it's my nose. pimples are usually 'soft' rather than hard. 

i treat it by backing off exfoliation for about 5 days (this is hard for me because i, ironically, depend on my nightly gentle acid exfoliation to keep my acne at bay). things go back to normal and i can resume.

(my poor nose right now)

@jemly oooh I hear ya!! I regularly use a rotation of BHA, AHA and lactic with no problems. I had such amazing results after trying the DE Babyfacial that got a little overzelous with the frequency and now am changing up my routine to deal with the consequences!!!

When I go overboard, its very dry, flakey cheeks with flushing and breakouts on them (which I would normally exfoliate to get rid of the dead stuff & bring acne to the surface so my products can do their job) and an oily forehead.

It's just hard every once in awhile not to overdo it, especially when I'm excited about something new!  I did the same thing with both the 2% Paulas Choice BHA liquid and the Paulas Choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment back in the day.

The results were so good in such a small amount of time that I forgot the meaning of "ramp up to daily use"

I feel this way about masks. I wish I can do a mask everyday. Lol

Applying a mask and playing Fishdom while it works is my favourite relaxation technique at the end of day.

Spoiler

Yes, I use an exfoliator with both a physical (crushed quartz crystal) and chemical (lactic acid) types of exfoliant. I love it but I need to be more consistent with doing it once a week!

I ❤️ Lactic acid- like a lot. @jemly, I completely get it. We have to be mindful of the exfoliating and masks that exfoliate or it could be disastrous. 

@mrsbaine oh i hear you. lactic acid is my kryptonite. i can't resist it. i get such instant and incredible results with it, that it's like a drug. i just want that high again. and then i OD. (sometimes ya gotta go over your limit just to know where the line is !!!)

Yup @jemly. I use Sarah chapman Resurfacing liquid. I finished it and started using theDrunk Elephant Glycolic night serum and my skin said "not today!" I started seeing texture almost immediately. I'm back on Sarah Chapman. I did buy a Lactic Acid from The Ordinary to try. I'm considering breaking into that this week to try. 

excellent PSA, @jemly. Thanks! 😄

My signs of over-exfoliation are usually tiny tiny clusters bumps on my chin just below either end of my lips, and/or slightly larger red bumps spotted on the hollow of my cheek.

Those are my non-oily spots, so if that part reacts and the rest of my skin looks OK, I've gone too far!

With the upcoming sale and the sad face I have because I have used up almost all my Caudalie Premier eye cream promo samples ☹️I'm now looking for an eye cream.

Not too thick, and not too runny, I am ok with a little shimmer brightening effect.

I do like the Caudalie, but I'm not in love with it, and only use it at night because if I use it night and day it's too rich and my skin gets a bit congested.

Im 27, so nothing super potent needed, just really preventative hydration would be great!

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I kinda feel like a broken record (or like people might start thinking I work for them, LOL) but I really like the Farmacy one.  

It's sort of a gel/cream texture, not heavy, moisturizes well and in my case it cleared up the appearance of dark circles I had.  I'm on my 3rd or 4th jar now and even when I've tried other creams, I end up coming back to it. 🙂

@Mochapj I'll whole heartedly agree with you and Thank you. I started using Farmacy Eye dew ( and a lot many more products) by following your lead. This is first eye cream that I repurchased so many time.

You sold me on that one!  I have it in this week's order.  🙂

Just like me and Algenist. I was a broken record for YEARS! @Mochapj

I like the sound of this one, I've ever tried anything from the brand but I love their concept/packaging green-ness. And the fact that you repurchased 4 times gives me confidence, thanks! 

Hi!

I've been looking into eye creams recently. Im in my mid 20's and just want to keep everything hydrated and do some early anti-aging/ prevention type stuff. I have always had these tiny bumps right in my under eye area and was wondering if you knew of them and of any thing to remove them. I have combination skin, drier in the under eye area. Thanks!

731 Replies
testing