Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I've had a massive breakout on my cheeks recently, and now that the breakout is healing I'm left with dry flaky patches. I've been trying to exfoliate and moisturize often, but they're still flaky. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting rid of patches of dry skin? Any super awesome instant moisturizers?

@Saschattack

Breakouts is that gift that doesn't stop giving 😞

Perhaps a little more info would help...

- How old are you and what is your skin type (oily etc.)

- What are you using for exfoliation right now?  *ETA - I read down thread that you said you are using the Caudalie Deep Clean.  I would suggest changing over t an acid instead of a scrubby product.  WHen a breakout is still healing, a scrubby exfoliator is quite harsh as the skin may still have open patches.  Scrubby products (the best of them) are best used sparingly anyway.  Try Dr. Gross alpha beta pads or FAB Radiance.  Your other answers will help focus on frequency and product type.

What is your moisturiser?

- Did you use any topical drying treatments for the acne, and if so...are you still using them.

@greenchilli

I'm 24 with combination skin. Kinda dry skin but oily in my t-zone. I'm currently alternating between Laneige Water Bank Moisture Cream and Simple Rich Moisturizer. I had been using some Clearasil (main ingredient is sulfur) for a week or so, but I have not used anything in the past week and a bit because I wanted to focus on moisturizing to get rid of the dry patches.

Thanks for the response! I will try to use some FAB pads instead of my exfoliating scrub. I may have been over exfoliating as well, as chicdabbler mentioned below, as I was exfoliating almost every morning. Oops haha.

@Saschattack

I definitely suggest FAB over a scrubby exfoliator.  Also, try to exfoliate at night instead of in the morning.  FAB is gentle enough that you can use it at least every alternate day.

Your skin might actually be dehydrated.  Sulphur can be helpful for acne, but it is also drying. 

I suggest adding in an oil with your moisturizer at night - layer them.  A good oil can actually rebalance even oily skin, and will be helpful for dry skin.  Not all oils suit everyone (don't I know it), but you may find one you like.

Thanks so much! I will try what you mentioned above. 

If you are talking about awesome instant moisture, try some sheet masks. After exfoliating gently at night (and after toner), apply a sheet mask. The sheet masks will constantly infuse moisture into your skin for 15-20min or however long you leave it. Some sheet masks can leave a greasy residue and feel stuffy, I recommend When or Karuna. They moisturizes but absorbs well and leaves the skin feeling clean and hydrated within seconds/minute of taking it off. Follow up with a very light layer of moisturizer over the dry patches and it will be mostly gone the next day.

Also, usually you should gently exfoliate 2-3 times a week. If you are doing it more often than that, it's possible you are overexfoliating and causing the dry flaky patches. If you have oily/combo skin and is using a thick/rich cream, it's possible that the cream is too rich/thick to be absorbed so it's just sitting on top of the skin, causing it to be dehydrated deep down despite feeling greasy on top.

@Saschattack What are you using to exfoliate? I've found that scrubs can make my dry/flaky patches worse. I like to use a glycolic acid pad (like FAB or Pixi) followed by a non-silicone face oil massaged in well.

Thanks for the response! I've been using Caudalie Deep Cleansing Exfoliator. 

Hey guys! I'm new to this, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have somewhat dry, somewhat sensitive skin. Main concerns are acne scars, brightening, and anti-aging. Currently, I'm dermarolling 2-3x a week, and using the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial 1x a week. I'm wondering if I should still use a mechanical exfoliator? I used to use a scrub 2x a week and I kind of miss it. I'm concerned with overstimulating my skin though. Advice?

@LizziCat

I will give you my input (I will be making assumptions, but I have limited information to go by)- 

1. There is a good chance you do not have sensitive skin.  Everyone that reacts to something assumes they have sensitive skin, but all it means is that their skin doesn't like a certain product/ingredient.  My skin is fairly strong, but the list of products I am reactive to is long.  

There are some members on this forum that truly have very sensitive skin.  They have many challenges using even the gentlest products, and it can be quite a difficult task.

All this to say - your skin is not sensitive.  There, I said it.  🙂

2. If your skin IS sensitive, dermarolling is the worst you can do to it.  In fact, dermarolling weekly is terrible for everyone.

I blame Youtube for this nonsense.  Needling at a salon/clinic with a qualified aesthetician (who will use other products to mitigate the harshness) once in a while can be helpful.  Using needles on your face twice a week with an at home kit is just damaging your skin.  

3. Again - for dry skin that "may" be sensitive, a mechanical exfoliator is a poor choice.  I don't recommend mechanical exfoliation to anyone, but there are some gentle enough products that can be used intermittently.  But not for "dry sensitive" skin.

Here is what I would suggest (I will assume you are in your 20s or 30s).

Since you have dry skin - my recommendations will be based on that.

1. Use a balm, oil, or cream cleanser.  You can use the oil and balm at night - either to remove makeup, or after you have removed makeup with something else.

2. Incorporate an acid exfoliant 2-3 times a week at night.  I suggest FAB Radiance pads, Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta pads (either extra gentle or regular strength).  Lactic acid is great for dry skin - you can try Dr. Jart Micro Peel milk as well.

3. Incorporate oil into your nighttime routine.  Not all oils are created equal - it took me ages to find something that I liked.  After cleansing, acids, massage oil into damp skin  To off with a moistuiser.  This type of layering is very helpful for dry skin.  

4. Anti ageing - Vitc C, Retinol, Niacinamide - this is what I look for when I think of antiageing.  Although I am of the school of thought that moisturising your skin is antiageing as well.

Theer are many Vitc C serums that can be used during the day to help with pigmentation.  Some people find Vit C more effective than others...so just try it out.

There are great retinol serums at Sephora as well.  DDG Retinol serum is a good one.  You can use it before your oil/moisturiser in he PM.

Good luck!

I have several products from the Dr. Jart Ceramidin line, but I can't get a clear answer on how to use them from Sephora or Dr. Jart's site. Right now I have Dr. Jart Ceramidin: Liquid, Cream, Oil Balm, and a little bit of the Gel Cream left.

I know that you use the Liquid first, but I've been reading that most people use their oil last. Is this true? I was using the oil as a moisturiser for a few weeks, which I guess is bad, but my skin looked really nice. Any suggestions? I would love some guidance and Sephora/Dr. Jart, even YouTube, no one gives you a step by step on how to use their line.

@kj9817

I responded to your question in the "Questions" thread.

Bottomline - if you see a benefit from a skincare product or routine, do it.

@kj9817 alright, so these are lovely products, and you may find using them all together will serve you well. but i'd suggest, also, that maybe save different combos of these products for different situations. it can all be a bit much to use all at once, which is why, likely, you can't find any straight forward advice on that. 

it's not bad to use an oil as a moisturizer. it just depends on what your skin needs. i like to think of oils as food (nourishment) and moisturizers as water (hydration). obviously that's simplifying what both these sorts of products have to offer, but it's a jumping off point. it's common for a lot of people to use moisturizer then oil--as oil can feel heavier to people so they put it on top. but i'm in the camp where i like to massage my oil in, then add a cream on top to seal it all in. i've never used an oil in balm form before, but i imagine, since it needs to be rubbed in, that it would do best before applying any moisturizer

generally speaking, you want to go from lightest/thinnest texture to the heaviest. so, for example, in the a.m. i'd apply the serum (liquid), then the gel cream or cream depending on how much you feel your skin needs. the gel cream is presumably lighter, so perhaps best for day and under makeup.

in the p.m. i'd go liquid --> oil balm --> cream or gel cream, again, depending on how much help you find you need. you may find one or the other does you best, it's likely not necessary to have both. and furthermore, if you were using the oil balm as a moisturizer and your skin was doing well, keep at it. maybe the creams aren't necessary for your skin !

So ideally, it's waters to oils. So clear to more opaque. So Micellar water, serum water hybrid, opaque serums, creams, and then oils. (check out Nadine Baggott on YT) 

For this line in the directions for use: 

Dr. Jart Ceramidin Gel Cream, Liquid, Then Cream

The oil balm per the website says "This balm is perfect for extra-dry patches or chapped, chafed areas and can be used on cuticles, elbows, nails, and hair to keep them looking and feeling nourished and revitalized." 

And while it doesn't give any directions to use before or after, it seems like a spot treatment situation that you would apply at the end to any areas that need extra hydration. Hope this helps! 

Hello! I've been trying to improve my skin rather than mask it with makeup, so I'm in the discovery process of products that work for me.

I was using Dr Jart's Water Fuse Water-Sure gel moisturizer, which I absolutely loved. But it's been out of stock for quite some time - it almost seems like it may have been discontinued (sad face). 

Does anybody have suggestions for a similar moisturizer that's lightweight yet hydrating for dry (possibly dehydrated) skin?

In case anyone else happens to be curious about this product - I emailed Dr. Jart+ and they actually responded. They said they're reformulating this product. I'm assuming that means it will be back in the future, I'm just not sure when 🙂

Thanks for the news and for checking, elise222!

That's awesome news and I hope its comeback is soon! 😄

Is it the Dr. Jart Water Drop Hydrating Moisturizer or the Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25 that you're referring to? I'm not seeing anything named "Water Fuse Fuse Water-Sure".

Are you shopping from the US, Canadian, or an international page on Sephora? Both products (as well as the Dr. Jart Water Fuse Water-Max Sleeping Mask are all showing in stock on the US site. By chance are you able to use the store locator to see if the product is available at a brick and mortar location near you?

I think she's talking about the one that used to come in a jar, which I believe was 'water fuse water sure' but I haven't seen it online for a while in Canada either.

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 4.18.39 PM.png

Ahh! That one's disappeared from the US Sephora site for quite some time now too.

I'd definitely recommend checking into the Water Drop Hydrating Moisturizer (silver tube above). It's got a lightweight gel-like consistency that soaks into skin and provides instant hydration. The formula actually causes water droplets to be released on skin as you're massaging it along skin's surface!

Thank you! Yes, it was the jar one I was referring to. My apologies for not being clearer. I'll definitely check out the Water Drop one, though. I actually prefer a tube over a jar for hygienic reasons anyway.

I hope they work similarly!!

731 Replies
testing