Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@Mochapj I have retinol, vit C, and acids for my acne and PIE. Is it too much tho?

@natashamaureen from the surface of me not knowing much of anything about you other than that you're 17, yes, it does sound like a bit too much.

What all are you using (specific products) and when? 

Was the retinol prescribed to you for your acne? Very generally speaking, there's not much benefit to using retinol at your age if it's not being used to treat acne.

@Mochapj I have combination skin and quite acne prone. I use the vit C (DE C-Firma) in the morning, I read somewhere they amplified sunscreen and fade. Tretinoin at night once a week as I'm still getting used to it (prescription). My doctor wasn't quite sure either prescribing this as she told me it would dry skin. Acids 2-3 times a week. And always put on spf in the morning (physical)

@natashamaureen ok, that's not too bad.

Personally I'd still say it's probably too much for someone your age (particularly the acids multiple times a week).  You have such youthful skin I don't really see a reason to be chemical peeling it that frequently.  Overstripping the skin with peels can be just as bad when dealing with acne, as it can cause your skin to go into overdrive producing even more oil.

If you're going to continue with the retinol, I'd suggest using a rich moisturizer afterwards (after it's sunk it for 15-30 minutes) because they do tend to be quite drying and can irritate/redden the skin.  

I am leaving a review here for new skincare (to me). 

Brand - Kat Burki

I tried the Cleasning Balm and the Vitc C serum.  The brand is Cruelty free and does not contain anything you might find objectionable.  Some products are "natural", but she isn't marketing her line as natural to my knowledge.

Cleansing Balm - I LOVE this!  It is not a balm though.  It is a cool fluffy gel.  I wouldn't use this to remove makeup, but for a skin cleanse.  It feels magnificent.

Vitc C cream - Similar light weight gel cream.  I used it this AM and loved it.  Absorbs well, not greasy, hydrating.

I recommend these two products.  I am now encouraged to try other products from her line.

I really like the Kat Burki products I have tried. I love the rose hip illuminating serum in particular. It is noticeably brightening without the drying effect that some C serums can have.  

@lipstick4soul

Good to hear that you like the C serum.  I might try that down the road.

@greenchilli ! exciting ! do you know anything you can compare that cleansing balm texture to ?? 

CH compared it to tapioca but i guess i'm more curious if there's any actual product you've tried you think is similar ? maybe it's just that unique....

@jemly

Tapioca eh?  That isn't a bad comparison actually.  It felt like gelatinous pudding to me, with some solid curdy bits.

There isn't anything I've used that has this texture.  It isn't oily, or creamy.  It feels a bit cool and curdy.  It is awesome though!

I need help to deal with this allergic reaction I got on my eyes.

IMG_6870.JPG

I am not a makeup removing wipes person. I keep wipes but just to clean the spills of makeup and rarely ever use them on my face. 

Yesterday I was wearing only Mascara as makeup so got lazy and removed it with the Garnier Purifying makeup remover wipes (the ones in black packaging)

This morning I woke up with these annoying bumps on my eyes.

I know it is from the wipes because I haven't used any other new product for many days and nothing at all on my eyes. 

Now how should I treat these rashes? 

I had a similar type of reaction to a facial wipe. An all...

I had a similar type of reaction to a facial wipe. An allergy medication took down the swelling and a cold compress helped as well. I hope you get this figured out!

I thought someone was showing post-op photos!  Your eyelids look kinda like mine minus the incisions.

Nonetheless, it is scary when we have a harsh reaction to products.

Eyelid skin is extremely thin and those people (on PS boards) that are 'massaging their scar/scar tissue' with oil are complaining of milia. I am not sure if it is because eyelid skin is so thin or because the incision is not heal all the way yet.  (they are trying to do away with the bumpiness). 

I don't want you to get milia if this is the case.  

It looks like inflammation.  So, a bag of peas, staying upright and sleeping on your back might do away with the swelling the fastest.

Yea, nothing that will rush blood to your head like bending over or exercise.  Welcome to the Club! ;')

I exercised for the first time this Saturday and my eyelids got ANGRY!  (too soon!)  lol!!!

Lol @wheeeee This is one club I don't want to join. Lol

I emailed this picture to my Dr and she agrees it is allergic reaction. She suggested me to keep it moisturized with some very mild moisturizer or eye cream and take  Benadryl at night so it doesn't effect my efficiency ๐Ÿ˜‰ ( As was suggested by Dr @veronika23 ๐Ÿ˜)

I hope it will improve by morning.

@fatimamummy I hope your eyelids heal soon.

@AMK721 Thank you! They were much better next morning and completely healed in next couple of days ๐Ÿ™‚

So glad to hear that @fatimamummy I'm sure those few days were not fun. 

@fatimamummy your doctor sounds amazing. Is she taking new patients? Lol 

i find that lots of thing that are ok for my face are not ok for my eyelids. This has happened to me as well. It will go away with rest and gentle products. Just don't put anything reactive or potent near it for a couple days. 

Lol @nche I'm often asked this question but no she isn't taking new patients any more ๐Ÿ˜‰

It will be gone in no time!  @fatimamummy

Thank you @wheeeee I hope so. Itchy eyes are no fun.

@fatimamummywow that's some service you have with your doctor! Sure as heck not like this here ๐Ÿ˜„

testing