Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@veronika23 Now you know why I love her. She is the best. I never have to go down to her office  for minor problems. I just email her details if I or one of my kids have any problem and she response within a few hours if we need to see her physically or there is a long distance solution. 

@fatimamummy  I would love her too! Wow! Glad you get such good service 🙂

@fatimamummy Ouch! Does it itch/burn? Honestly I would not try anything new at all.  Freeze some damp washcloths? Maybe an aloe spritz if you have one you like? Do you think it's allergic or reactive? If you generally do well with an oral antihistamine that might help if it's allergic. 

Life hack for your future: I keep a little jar of sweet almond oil-soaked cotton pads to take off eye makeup if I'm not doing the whole double cleanse song and dance. Your oil would depend on your skin, obviously. Cheap and easy, winning combo for me. 🙂

@fairlywell It does has some itching and discomfort 😔

Almond oil is the only thing I actually know I am allergic of. I always go with double cleanse even if I have slightest of makeup on. It was just a bad moment when I decided to go with wipes and then single cleansing.

Wish I had aloe spritz but for now I think I will make do with cold compresses with frozen wash cloth . Thanks!

Personally I would leave it and see if it goes away on its own in a day or two, which means no eye makeup for a day. The important thing is not to scratch it. I once had an issue that looked like that on my neck after using a neck cream and it got worse from scratching it. It went away when I used a cortisone cream on it and avoided touching it. I would avoid putting a cortisone cream that close to my eyes though. If it doesn't go away, maybe get a doctor to prescribe an oral corticosteroid? I mean, if it doesn't go away, a quick trip to the dermatologist is probably a good idea anyway. 

I like that hack @fairlywell 🙂  Jojoba oil is a good one to remove makeup too. It's the closest oil to resemble sebum.  @fatimamummy  just in case you want to try something like that in the future 🙂

Yes! Any oil you like! Cleansing oil is pretty much just oil, right? I should try jojoba next. 

yeah 🙂 Been using Jojoba for a while maybe I should try sweet almond 😉  I know I have in the past but it's been way too long 😄

Thank you @veronika23 I'll keep that in mind.

Oh dear, I had the same thing happen to me the first (and last) time I used cleansing wipes, I woke up with my eyes so swollen, and then it was like the top layers of my eyelid skin died and I had flaking and peeling for a week and a half, it was awful. Benedryl is a smart move. I just used a really good plain unscented eye cream during the flaking and peeling stage. This week I just purchased and used the Ciate cleansing balm which is just for eyes and lips. It's really clean ingredient wise and completely scentless, marvellous product. I find plain oils don't remove eye makeup as easy for me. Take care of those peepers girl ! Benedryl!

OMG no! I am sorry @fatimamummy 😞  Cold compresses could possibly help if it hurts. I would also probably just stay away from products for a day or two. I personally would take something like Benadryl if it itches but I know how I react to that so it's definitely not for everyone. Not saying you should. I am just saying that's what I would do. Hopefully it passes very fast.

ETA: Hesitated posting this but in the past when the skin around my eyes got super irritated (very sensitive area for me) I used Vaseline for a day or two. I know it's not good but it did help.

@veronika23 I like the idea of cold compresses. 

Im on high dose of medication these days ( hence already plenty drowsy) so no idea where it will take me if I add Benadryl to the mix but I'll ask hubby to pick some just in case it get worst.

Your other medications could be sensitizing your skin, @fatimamummy. Take care of yourself! 

@fatimamummy  I always found the cold compresses so soothing. I totally understand about the meds... hesitated posting Benadryl too. I hope it will go away by tonight or tomorrow morning. 🙂

Thank you V! I hope so too.

Hi All!  My daughter is having difficulty finding a good routine for her skin. She came to me and although it didn't look red, when you touched it, it felt ruddy (like very fine sand paper). I told her I believed her skin was both under moisturized and dehydrated. She is currently using only MissHa FTE and Neutrogena Hydroboost water gel in the am and then MissHa FTE, Cerave Lotion, followed by Biossance Rose Face Oil in the pm. She also exfoliates twice a week and uses the Fresh Rose Mask a couple times a week. Her skin texture has improved somewhat but she is also breaking out. She had been using Paula's choice AHA/BHA  too but stopped when she started trying to get her skin soft.  I told her I think she needs to add that back into her routine but I was going to post the question to get help from all of you too. She is getting married in the beginning of July and really wants her skin to look its best.

A few things you might want to know about her to help. She is 24 (going on 25), does not wear any makeup on a daily basis, and is a minimalist when it comes to skincare. 

What products/routine would you all suggest to address these issues? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you all in advance. I am desperate to help her.

@NancieNano Have her eliminate the Rose, both the Bioessence and the Fresh. Some people are sensitive to Rose and she could be having a mild reaction. It can build up over time, even if she's been ok with it before. Have her switch to the regular squalene instead. 

And yes she should add the Paula's Choice back. But I can't stress this enough. She needs to add a sunscreen, especially with the acids. Rain or shine, every day. If she wants something milder, the Pixi Glow Tonic is great. Leaves my skin soft. 

I agree with Jemly on the silicone issue. You know my opinion. She's using two moisturizing products with silicone. Those little bumps, plus the breaking out, make me think her pores are clogged. She would be better off trying a face Oil along with the squalene and eliminating those silicone based moisturizers. And honestly, I know peeps swear by that Rose face mask, but it dehydrates me terribly and I have oily skin. 

NJ do you have that Mario Badescu silver mask? The little pot of power? That stuff is a miracle worker to quickly unclog the skin. It eliminates blackheads in minutes and she could try it as an allover mask. 

Hi @pixiedust2. I did not know that about rose oil/products. I'll give her the squalene to use tonight. 

I will definitely tell her to begin using the BHA 2% again. I asked @jemly but I'll ask you too. AM and PM or once daily?

Is there any moisturizer you can recommend that hydrates and doesn't contain silicone? She won't want to use an oil in the am because she doesn't like the feel of it.

She loves that rose mask and likes the way if feels but if you think it might be clogging her pores, I'll have her stop. What type of mask would give her the hydration she needs?

I do not have the Mario Badescu silver mask. I've never actually even heard of it. Would it be too harsh for a full face mask? 

This balancing moisture and hydration while keeping acne at bay is hard. LOL. But she's willing to try anything to get glowing skin for her wedding.  Thanks A. 🙂

hi @NancieNano ! tell her to add the Paula's Choice BHA back into her routine. it's whats going to help soften the texture of the skin the most-- particularly when she follows it with those hydrating products. this should also help with the breakouts. how often was she using it ? did the breakouts begin once she cut back usage ? and was she using her current routine in conjunction with the BHA before she stopped using it ?

the only exception to what i'm saying is if her skin just doesn't like BHAs. (for example, mine tolerates them but responds to AHAs better. everyone's skin is different). but if she was using it without problem before, tell her to use it when she does to bed at night, after cleansing. also, see if she gets better results with the rose oil but applying it before her moisturizer, rather than after. everyone has different opinions on where oils should go (before or after moisturizer) but i prefer to put them on before, as i find they absorb infinitely better.

lastly, how does she like the neutrogena hydroboost water gel ? it's definitely, in theory, the sort of cream to go for when dehydrated. but the second ingredient is dimethicone, as is the 3rd. these sorts of ingredients are find for some skins, but to be honest--particularly when so far up and prominent in the ingredients list--the dimethicone is there to serve as a "feel". to make skin feel smooth and hydrated, rather than to smooth and hydrate. can lead to breakouts too, she might be better served by a different type of moisturizer.....

OH @jemly and @pixiedust2 she was using the Paula's Choice Resist Repair Barrier Moisturizer. But it has retinol and was not moisturizing enough so stopped ussing that awhile ago.

@jemly thank you for your reply. She was not using her current routine when she was using the BHA so I think removing that might be part of the issue. Should she use it am and pm or just once a day?

Also, I was mistaken. She is using the oil then the moisturizer like you do.

She loves the neutrogena hydroboost water gel but if it is only giving her  the feel of hydration and not really doing the job, maybe she should try something else. And like you and @pixiedust2 said,, her skin might not like dimethicone.  Any suggestion for a hydrating yet light moisturizer? She does not like to "feel" it on her skin once put on. (That's why she likes the Neutrogena)

testing