Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Does anyone know if Sunday Riley Luna Oil and Good Genes can be replaced with anything from Decium? Wishful thinking maybe but...

Hi @ChristalM the ordinary retinoid 2% is a dupe for SR luna and for me it works better! Hope it's help 🙂

@ChristalM I'm not sure about Luna Oil, but Tracy at the fanserviced-b blog reviewed 17 lactic acid products hoping to find a dupe for Good Genes. A few of them sound promising!

@JenniferOhJenny Thanks! I will check that out!

You're welcome - I hope you find something!

Lately I'm getting tiny rough patches exactly where my glasses rest on the bridge of my nose. Is there anything I can do about it? I never had this issue with my old glasses, but I can't switch back because my prescription changed.

RE: Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Same here! I thought it may be because I moved a few months ago to a drier climate. I have had good success clearing it up over the last two weeks by 1. Not putting any of my serums on that area. I originally blamed it on my switch from OH truth serum to Drunk Elephant vitamin c because the DE seemed stronger. True or not I keep everything except my cleanser and sunblock away when applying to my face. 2. I add antibiotic ointment for scars Morning and night. The ointment vs cream makes sure the area is hydrated and I use the kind for scars in hopes of avoiding any discoloration. So far so good. The flaking and patchiness are completely gone but I still do it at least once a day because I came to believe my glasses were a contributing factor since they are rougher than silicon nose pads and I fear it can come back. I wear Prada resin frames. Good luck!

Do you have an allergy to the material?

No, the new glasses are made from the same sort of resin/plastic as the old pair (at least I think so since the same parent company makes both and it looks like the same material). I just switched from Prada baroque frames to Miu Miu rasoir frames. 

They even rest on approximately the same area of my nose.

My skincare regimen has changed a little bit, but I'm not getting roughness anywhere else.

So for the last 2-3 weeks I have been using Sunday Riley products. I have oily acne prone skin. I get hormonal acne on my jawline and cheeks. I have a lot of dark spots from healed acne. 

Night time: Murad clarifying cleanser, Sunday Riley Luna, Good Genes, Sunday Riley new brightening serum and Tidal.

Morning: Murad clarifying cleanser, Sunday Riley UFO (if needed), Good Genes, Sunday Riley new brightening serum, Murad essenital c moisturizer with spf 30. 

My skin has cleared up. no new breakouts and my dark spots are about 50-75% lighter! im so happy!

Also, i noticed that my pores are tighter. I'm starting to look like a walking ilter. I am so thankful for sunday's products. i hate the price tag tho 

So I have literally all the of the same skin concerns that you listed above, and I desperately want to try all of the Sunday Riley products but cant't really afford that price tag, like you said. Of all the stuff you've been using, which has been the most effective/which would you recommend, especially in clearing up those scars (my main concern rn)?

Every so often the skin right around my mouth has a small breakout. Not in a consistent place, and usually 1-2 small spots at a time. They take forever to clear up- even after the little bump subsides (usually in a day or so) that skin remains red and dry, especially right near the corners of my mouth. That can last weeks and leaves behind hyperpigmentation when it does heal. I almost never have breakouts anywhere else on my face.

Any thoughts on how to avoid/treat/mitigate?

@fairlywell I don't get breakouts but still have some hyperpigmentation around my mouth. I was talking to the lady about it during my skin Fit appointment how it bugs me. According to her it isn't as bad as I think (Lol) and also she said the area around the mouth is mostly slightly darker than rest of the face for most people. It could be due to the reason that we eat and drink all day so the skincare around the mouth are removed shortly after we apply them. She suggested that if we are using some product for hyperpigmentation, it would be a good idea to keep it ha dry and pat a little bit around mouth time to time. I don't know if it is practically possible for everyone but just thought to share what I was suggested 🙂

That's interesting @fatimamummy. Definitely worth a try! Agreed that no one else ever views us as critically as we do ourselves. 😉

@fairlywell

Blemishes on the lower half of our face, especially around the mouth and chin are often hormonal.  We usually see one or two pop up around that time of the month.

I notice that if I eat poorly (I am quite sensitive to excess sugar or refined foods) I will get a spot around my mouth as well.

My own strategy is 3-fold, and it keeps the blemishes to a rare occurrence.

1. Diet - What I got away with in my 20s and 30s just doesn't fly today.  I see a quick impact in energy and fitness as well.  Even if I have to get a quick meal out on the road, I am more selective.

2. Skincare - this is the preventative aspect.  I am in a good place with skincare.   Especially the oils....I am using Aurelia, Uma, and Vintners daughter...and my skin has not felt better.  Around the time I expect my skin to be cranky, I use a clarifying oil.

3.  Spot treatment - not to overlook this aspect.  I sometimes feel a deep spot coming up.  I recently found Renee Rouleau Cystic acne fighting gel.  It is lactic acid based.  I bought it without expecting much.  But when I apply this at the first sign of skin irritation that is an early sign of a pimple (itching, tenderness, or tightness)- it stops it in tracks.   Or helps it go away sooner and not be a nasty one.

Not sure if this helps, but hope it does.

@greenchilli thank you! I think you are probably correct about it being hormonal. I've been on a hormone rollercoaster for several years with pregnancy and nursing and then not-nursing. There has been no status quo! 

I am considering the Uma Clarifying oil - really just for this issue. I love the Aurelia too, it's made a great difference for the rest of my face. 

Is is it the Post-breakout Gel or the Anti-Cyst Treatment that you like from Renee Rouleau? 

@fairlywell I picked up the Uma Clarifying around Valentines day and would also agree with @greenchilli suggestion of it.

I don't use it daily because I find it quite potent (I am more sensitive to scents than some, and it is like being hit over the head with a bag of cloves) but it does work very well at keeping problem spots manageable. 

@fairlywell

It is the anti-cyst treatment. 

I used it to squelch one just a few months ago.  I felt a tenderness and hardness.....used it a couple three days and it subsided without really developing.  

Haven't read too far into this thread yet. But I was curious if anyone else has experienced clear, skin tag like bumps on their face? I have pretty clear skin, usual blackheads on my nose here and there, an occasional break out and redness on my cheeks. I can't pin point a product that causes them, but it has been bothering me. I should look into going to a dermatologist I guess!

IMG_2078.JPGIgnore my sideways photo, it's late and I'm too tired to figure out how to rotate it. These are the bumps I'm talking about! Not sure what it is.. Not a pimple and I have accidentally scratched/scraped them off and they seem to come back in the same place.. HALP! @k617 @greenchilli

@kissXmakeup I have to agree with what others are suggesting. I got these type of bumps a while ago when I started using PTR water drench cloud cream. It took almost ober week for them to clear after I discontinue the use of this cream.

I think you need to look into what new product you started using around the time these appear on your face. 

5 Replies
testing