Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

[ Edited ]

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

(0) Hearts

Looks like it could be a reaction to a certain product. I've had that if my skin hasn't agreed to something (like foundation, blush etc)..

(0) Hearts

@kissXmakeup I don't think they look like skin tags... I get those on my face if something is irritating it. I get them in places where I don't usually break out. 

@kissXmakeup

If it were me, I would stop picking at it and ignore it.  I see two tiny bumps, I thought you had a bunch of big bumps!  Faces are full of such oddities that are not necessarily skin concerns.  It could be just an accumulation of skin cells.  

Your skin looks in good health....you will cause more harm.

(0) Hearts

@greenchilli I have two on that side, about 4 on the other and 3 on my chin. Not sure what they are..But I def don't mess with them anymore.

(0) Hearts

Skin tag...like a flappy piece of skin on your face? Or do you mean whiteheads/closed comedones?

(0) Hearts

I'll have to take a photo and show what I mean lol The closest skin thing that I can think of that it looks like is a skin tag, it is a raised bump on my face, not a whitehead. Nothing comes out of it. I have picked at them before, and they seem to grow back eventually in the same spot.

(0) Hearts

@kissXmakeup

Could it be milia?  They don't show a whitehead, and it is hard to extract them unless you (a pro) makes an incision.  

@greenchilli I will post a picture later. I googled milia and it doesn't look like the photos I saw. But what do I know? I took photos a few days ago and will post them once I am home from work! (:

[ Edited ]

Apparently The Ordinary Retinoid is not for me. I waited for over a week and whethe previous dry patches were completely gone I used it only once very sparingly and still ended up with this. I think I'll just toss it out. 

I am actually thinking to go back to my previous routine before I started Ordinary products and then introduce new products again with a bit more Gap say two weeks between every new product.

For Retinoid though, Maybe oil based Retinoid serum would be a bit gentle ( I have used REN in past without any bad reaction) and a better choice for me. 

Right now I can feel the pain of people who have sensitive skin. This type of reaction is new to me and very irritating.

Spoiler
IMG_6213.JPG

(0) Hearts

I can't use any retinol/tretinoin but adapalene (like differin) works on me with very minor irritation. 

I wouldn't think oil formula is necessarily less irritating since retinoid is oil soluble??

@fatimamummy I don't want to convince you to keep using this specific product, but all the dermatologists I've worked with talk about retin-a as really the only thing that's been scientifically shown to delay aging, however a lot of people won't tolerate it due to the several weeks that it takes to tolerate it. It's normal for retin-a to cause dryness and make acne worse in the first few weeks before a patient will see improvement. Outside of Botox and lasers, it's really it in terms of products that are proven. Some studies out there report only the prescription grade makes a difference (I personally use a prescription grade to treat my acne). I would suggest seeing a dermatologist if you can for their advice on your personal situation. Retinol products are supposed to make your skin not happy in the first few weeks. Yes, you're supposed to start using them every 2-3 days, but it's common to have skin look worse while you are using it for the first few weeks and doesn't mean that it's not for you.

I hope this is helpful.

**skincare should be discussed with your personal dermatologist as your complete medical history is necessary in evaluating any case**

@sierrafallon I keep hearing about Retinol needing time to get used to but I am too chicken when it comes to something that can possibly leave a mark on my face 😉

Luckily I never had Acne and my only concerns are that blemish you can see in the picture and some hyperpigmentation around my mouth so I don't think I have much to request a dermatologist appointment but I'll see what my Family Dr has to say about it.

I have some extra hydrating products on mark but keep forgetting to order .

As you said and almost everyone else have said it might take a while before my skin get used to of it. I just want to make sure I am not getting myself in a skin problem while trying to treat a non existing problem. I do want to start using Retinoid at this stage before my skin actually starts showing visible signs of aging though.

@fatimamummy

If this retinol doesn't suit you, I would suggest not using it.

Perhaps a different form of Retinol might work.  But if you don't have success with any other either....I would stop trying for a while.

Retinol is effective, but not if your skin doesn't respond to it well.  

There are several skincare products that are anti ageing by leveraging other properties in their ingredients.  You will surely find a regimen that works.

@greenchilli I have used Retinol in oil form as SR Luna oil and REN Bio Retinoid oil . Luna oil just made me excessivly greasy so it wasnt my cup of tea. REN was good. I didnt get any bad reaction or extra oiliness or dryness for that matter but it was a bit too gentle maybe? because I basically didnt notice any difference good or bad) at all so I didnt repurchase it.

I am thinking maybe get samples of DDG Ferulic Acid+Retinol serum and brightening solution and see if my skin likes any of these products. I think I have used a DS of DDG serum in past and dont remember any bad reaction.

Aging is a valid reason to see a dermatologist or even for a mole check once a year and you can slip in your skincare questions then Smiley Happy at least in the US. I don't know has things work up in CA though

your family doctor should either talk to you about retinols or refer you.

i don't think I've heard of anyone getting permanent marks from retinols, but it's worth a search in pubmed if you're worried about it (you might get more results for treating scars/marks with retinols though haha) 

regardless of what we do, we'll all eventually show signs of aging to some degree. You're lucky because it looks like you have a little bit darker skin tone which usually means less overall wrinkles because your skin tone has protected you more from the sun

it sounds like you might be happier keeping your skin hydrated and aging gracefully that way @fatimamummy

best of luck on your skin care journey

[ Edited ]

Thank you @sierrafallon .I know aging is inevitable and I am very comfortable with it and happy with the state of my skin but I also love to take care of it.

That's too bad! I have wondered if the formulation of that Retinoid is missing some of the things that contribute to better comfort. So far I've only been able to use it following the Whamisa rich toner, which must give me just enough cushion. I kind of want a thread just for retinX, where we can talk about all the things we have tried/used/abandoned/love. Maybe too specific though!

It could be that @fairywell  The first two product I started using from the brand were Caffine solution and Alpha Arbutin 2% and my skin doesn't hate them. This Retinoid is the third product I am trying to incorporate but it just isn't sitting well.

@Mochapj Do you think I should skip the idea of using Retinoid all together and once my skin heals, I start using Azylic Acid once a wk or would that be even stronger? 

The other option is I use only Caffine and Alpha Arbutin from The Ordinary and find a gentle Retinol formula from another brand.

@fatimamummy as others have mentioned, your reaction to retinoids is fairly common.

They tend to make the skin worse for a time before it gets "better".  Speaking from my own experience (on both prescription and non) it was about 6 weeks of my acneic outbreaks getting worse than they'd been before I started, before the retinoid started to clear everything up.  So, it's up to you whether you feel like toughing it out for the long term anti-aging benefits that it could provide.  

Personally, I stopped using retinoids/retinols last year because while my skin stopped showing these congested pores eventually, it never stopped feeling stripped and dry - no matter how many moisturizing products I used or how I buffered it.  I also noticed after 9 months of using these products (6 on prescription retinoid, 3 on OTC retinol) my cheek pores became larger and more visible than they were prior to my treatment. 

I definitely wouldn't start using the Azelaic Acid until your skin heals.  It's supposed to be targeted for redness and rosacea but with your skin already in a bit of an irritated condition, it's not the best idea to introduce another new thing into the mix.

Thank you @Mochapj Hmm let's see maybe I use it once a week for a few more weeks and then decide if I am comfortable with continuing it. 

Just when I'm at the 1 month mark of going foundation free and getting comfortable with it, my face decides to let this monster freeload and hang around...

I hope I can ask this here. It's kind of? skincare related.

It seems like nowadays these are the types of zits I get, makes the regular pimple that eventually turns into a white head feel like a walk in the park. These tend to be larger than usual, fairly red, but also relatively flat (my whiteheads/pustules tend to look a little "pointy" from the infection rising to the surface)

I'm curious as to what you think these types of pimples are. I want to say they're a cyst, but apparently if it were a cyst it should be larger...much larger. This one's about 1/3-1/2 the size of my pinky nail.

The rounded surface gets really shiny, and the skin around the "dome" tends to start flaking off even when I'm not attacking it with harsh products. What you see here is a pimple pampered this morning with moisturizing serum, facial oil and a dab of Tigergrass cream. Still, the flaky edges are the result of skin lifting off from the edge of the "dome" to where you see the new outline just beyond the redness.

The area within the inner "circle" outline is the surface which seems to be the shiniest. There is no head, but if I move my jaw so that the skin is pressing up against my jaw, I can faintly see the center turn a bit yellowish in addition to the red. Is that pus?

I can conceal that part as long as I gently dab concealer in. If I blend too aggressively, it'll rub off the shiny surface.

My experience with the last few of these types of zits is that it shrinks as it peels off in layers. It never comes to a head, but the last one I had, once I got to a certain point where it was just a tiny bump, a gentle squeeze did result in a little plug with a tiny bit of pus being expelled. Amazing how such small amount of material can generate such a large bump.

Any thoughts? Oh dear, brace yourself for this....

Spoiler
IMG_0959.JPG