Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@k617

I also suggested a spot treatment (not a cure, but helps some) to fairlywell...scroll up.

Renee Rouleau anti-cyst treatment.  It is a lactic acid based gel.  If you use it when you first feel something might be brewing, it can be more effective.  Use it twice a day until you know you are out of the woods.

Thanks @greenchilli 🙂 

I have eyed that product for a few months but can't justify the $20 shipping fee to Canada! Can't justify the little 1/2 oz jar that would cost me close to $100 CAD 😞

I agree, that's a cyst. Those are the worst, so frustrating! Mine have tended to be hormonal, but I have a friend who quit dairy and stopped getting them. Are you experiementing at all with hormone imbalance or diet changes? 

The worst part of these is being able to feel them at all times. Ugh/sorry/commiseration!

I know I'm sensitive to dairy from blood tests at a lab (more digestion than anything), but I eat very little dairy in the first place ever since I found out I'm dairy intolerant--I do have it from time to time, maybe it's time I cut it out completely. Very difficult when I just LOVE baked goods and really, dairy is in so many things!

My diet has been fairly consistent. I wouldn't say I've had more dairy than usual these past few weeks. If anything I've actually started eating healthier in conjunction with my new workout plan. I did recently found out I might be "overdosing" on canned tuna, it's been my go-to snack of choice (I even ensured it's low cal, low fat and no additives) but maybe the mercury is a bit too much for my body to bear? I don't know.

Since this showed up ~1 week before my cycle, I'm going to say this is probably hormonal as well. I haven't had a breakout on my chin for a few months, but I vaguely recall a breakout living here back in September!

It's comforting to know I'm not alone on this @fairlywell 😄 You could've knocked me down with a feather if you told me 10 years ago that I was going to start getting more acne as an adult. Like many, I believed the myth that if I don't breakout in my teen years, I'm in the clear!

@k617 ugh I feel your pain! When I break out it's always cystic pimples on my chin or cheeks. they are so painful and take forever to go away, I hate them!

I am sensitive to dairy as well and after I cut it out my skin cleared up a lot, but I do eat it sometimes as a treat. My skin breaks out when I eat a lot of sugar or junk food too, which is annoying because those are the first things I go for when I'm stressed. 

It's quite frustrating that I still have acne well into my 30s. my skin is a lot better than it was 10 years ago but I still feel like I shouldn't be breaking out at this point!

I know right @unfungirl? Sorry I meant to tag fairlywell but tagged you instead! No idea why, I guess you were on my mind! 😉

Seems like this is just something that I'm going to have to deal with going forward. I'm *almost* 30, and my skin has never broken out so much even though I feel like I'm taking better care of myself now.

An aging body is just going to get more and more demanding, I guess!!

@k617 I was wondering why you tagged me!  But I thought I had maybe commented earlier, I pop in and out these days 🙂 

I'm flattered you thought of me 😂😂

Taking care of yourself definitely helps!

drinking lots of water, eating healthy, etc.  but I do feel like no matter what you do, if you are prone to hormonal breakouts there's no way around it.  I'm a bit older than you are, but I hope you have better luck than me! Thankfully It's not a constant thing Amy more but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

@k617 yeah definitely a cystic pimple. this is a normal size for a cystic pimple, too. 

it's not so regular for me anymore, but when i get a zit on my chin, it is almost always this kind (and certainly related to hormones). as you likely know, my fave way to treat is applying an acid directly on it (helps with bacteria) and then treating with light but regular layers of oil (i find these spots absorb oil very quickly, so as soon as i realized it's all 'soaked up' i apply a dab more). the oil will definitely help with preventing scarring (i'm not an advocate of drying zits out if it can be helped, as i find that while it can help with minimizing the zit at first, heal time is much longer). additionally, for whatever it is worth, ever since i started using a serum targeted for dehydration, i have not had a single zit on my chin, even around my period (i can't quite explain that, but i have noticed a correlation and would feel remiss not to mention it).

so ! it more or less seems like this is exactly what you are doing anyway, but i figured i'd emphasize i think you're doing good ! if you're worried about inflammation you can apply ice to it, the results may be minimal though. 

Thanks @jemly Yes I learned the hard way that nourishing is better than attacking! I see a huge difference when I nourish though like you mentioned, the hyperpigmentation fades WAY faster. 

I just did an epsom salt spot mask and a warm compress for 30, maybe I'll do the ice tonight!

Anyone know any products or treatments to reduce the production of sebum? I drink a lot of water and have added a probiotic supplement (which has helped my skin a lot) but I'm still producing lot of oil in my t zone area. I'm combo oily skin in my t zone and normal to dry on the other parts of my face. 

It's counterintuitive, but you might look into the oil-for-oil method. Just to summarize, you apply oil to your face at night, cleanse gently in the AM, and trick your skin into thinking it already has plenty of oil available. It's not a quick fix - weeks to months? Any oil your skin can handle well is suitable, but if you don't have one I suggest trying squalane. It's similar to human sebum, and (in my experience) sinks in quickly so you don't get that slick filmy feeling. 

I'm oily skinned, acne prone, and just generally greasy. For many many years, I thought stronger cleansers/products were needed and was generally very harsh in my skin care routine. I finally realized that I was likely just making the problem worse, and am currently working on finding my kinder, gentler products. One thing that has helped me immensely: Tarte maracuja oil. Three drops mixed in with my moisturizer has worked so so well. It took me a few days to adjust to it, but now my skin is soft without being greasy, and I don't get nearly as oily throughout the day as I used to. 

What moisturizer are you currently using? Also, are you acne prone?

@JulesLG yep, acne prone. I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisture Gel (gel, not the lotion). 

Can anyone suggest a great daytime moisturizer? I usually have combination skin, oily in my t-zone and normal everywhere else. For the past few months I've been using retin a from my derm that leaves me with dry patches that peel even if I exfoliate where my skin is normal. I can even see it through my foundation. I've been using cetaphil for years but since starting the retin a it's just not enough. I do need something with at leat spf 15, drugstore is fine.

@Miniivan, you may like Skin Laundry
Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 35, Algenist
SUBLIME DEFENSE Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50, or CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydro Rush Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

Thank you, will look into these. 

How do you like the results from retin a so far? I was just prescribed that but I've been reading because it's known to be strong. 

I absolutely love it. I started using it cuz my skin looked very bumpy and I had white heads that never came to the surface. So far for the last few months my skin has never looked better. I started off using it every couple off days, then every other day and now I'm up to every day. It's important to mousturize a lot and exfoliate and only use like a pea size amount. The only side effect I've experienced again is the dryness and flaky skin from in certain areas. 

Thanks for your imput! I look forward to using it. 

I received my Paula's choice order today. @k617 @lachaton How frequently you use the BHA 2% liquid. It says once or twice daily. I thought maybe twice a week or so would be enough?

2 Replies
testing