Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I've used it every day, but I'm happier to use it every other day after cleansing. I've used it less, but for my skin it appears to work better with more regular use. Twice a day is too much for me. 

@fatimamummy I use mine once per day in the AM, but it wasn't always that way. It took me a few months for my skin to get used to it, but it was also one of the first acids I've incorporated into my routine. 

I will also use an AHA at night once in awhile (was doing nightly but I'm trying out some other skincare right now so I backed it off), as well as a retinoid every other night. 

Thanks @k617, I took a wrong start with Retinoid and started using it every night. I ended up having dry patches and peeling skin so had to cut it back to once a week for now. I may eventually increase it to twice a week . 

@fatimamummy hi ! it matters what other acids and exfoliation you use regularly in your routine. can you remind me what a typical routine is for you ?

@jemly Here is my typical routine which some times change according to what I want but mostly these products are there.

At night after. Cleansing and toning I use following in order

-The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2%

-The Ordinary Caffine 2% solution (eye orbits)

-Rose water mist

-Odacite Pa+G, CaR and Jo+L (I mix them in my palm and use together as a single product.

-Shiseido wrinkle resist eye cream

- Korres wild rose sleeping facial

- Farmacy Sleep tight

( I also started using Retinol 2% once a week and Azelic acidonce a week)

Morning 

Again after cleansingand toning

-Hylamide C25 booster

-Patchology eye gel or Ordinary caffeine solution.

-Rose water mist

-May Lindstromyouth dew

-Farmacy Eye dew

- Any moisturizer that is in rotation.

I don't use any chemical peel on my face due toPMD that Iuse once a week.

I do use masks frequently but those are all non acid masks mostly hydrating and Brightening masks.

@fatimamummy just wanted to pop in to mention acids (in most cases) are chemical peels.

Since you mentioned you are using the Azelaic Acid, I'd make sure not to use that anywhere near when you're doing a PMD treatment, as it could irritate your skin with regular use.

@Mochapj I have used Azylic acid only once so far. I have stopped Retinol after the dry patches and will re introduce it next week with once a week frequency. 

What I had in my mind is to use them in a schedule. ( I actually work on schedules even in skincare 😉 )

Saturday ---- PMD

Tuesday ---- Azylic acid

Thursday ---- Retinoid

Do you think this routine will be ok? Or should I entirely drop Azylic acid for now and keep only Retinol and PMD each once a week? 

@fatimamummy I think you may be able to comfortably manage that schedule in time, but I wouldn't introduce the azelaic just yet, until you've gotten a few weeks of retinol under your belt and your skin starts to get more comfortable with it. 

PMD + retinol may be irritating enough at first, so it's best not to introduce another peeling agent into the mix.

Got it, Thank you @Mochapj . I'll drop Azylic acid for now.

@fatimamummy what do you tone with ? i would use it either in that step or in between cleansing and your other toner (presuming it's a toner formulated for hydration ?). i can use acids once a day easily, but if you're nervous about that, start at twice a week, build up to every other day, and so on. i prefer to use acids at night, and would recommend that (you'll get the best benefits of your other p.m. treatments that way). don't use on days you do PMD and just use your regular toner on days you don't want to use the BHA. 

Thank you @jemly Right now I am using Sisley toner for combination oily skin but that is a DS and is about to finish. I will buy Murad hydrating toner once it is finished. I thought this BHA liquid might replace the toner but directions on the bottle say to use it after Cleanser and toner. 

I think I'll start with twice a week and then slowly take it to once a day just to be on safe side.

@fatimamummy it can take the place of toner. toner is a very very widely used term these days, but in the olden days 'toner' was a step used to make sure that all your makeup and soap/cold cream came off completely (as well as your makeup). it was considered a cleansing step, which is really what PC is referencing here.

i like a good spritz/hydrating toner after using an acid. but it is probably the least necessary step in a good skincare routine. don't think of it as a must-do.

Does anyone have recommendations for a great eye cream? I'm looking for an eye cream for my mom. She wants an eye cream that reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and dark circles.

I bought her the Kate Somerville Retinol Firming Eye Cream. She likes it but she doesn't like using it everyday. 

Two weeks ago, I noticed a small, white dot on my eyelid that feels hard to the touch. At first I thought it was a pimple or something but I can't get rid of it. I think it's milia? I've never had this before and I think it's from the Estee Lauder eye cream sample I've been occasionally using..

Anyway, is there a way I can get rid of it? 

@myumew I agree with @unfungirl, it sounds like milia. If it feels like a tiny pearl or grain of sand under the skin, that fits the description.

As she said, you probably want to stop using the eye cream. You could also try warm compresses on the area or very gently exfoliating to help speed up the process of clearing it out, but please don't try to extract it on your own!

@myumew i've had those before too. under my eye, and on my eyelid. chances are it's a milia 😞

the only thing i've found that helps is to quit using the product you think is the culprit, and wait for it to go away.

I am hoping to dabble more into sunday riley and or tatcha with the vib sale coming up. Any recommendations on products? I have dry and sensitive skin, mid 20's and have some hyper pigmentation/dark spots and some fine lines under my eyes.

@shef90, I absolutely love Tatcha's packaging! If you're going to get into one product from them I'd have to recommend their Tatcha Indigo Soothing Triple Recovery Cream. They have a body butter or exfoliating polish version of it which are also amazing. Really any form that you pick of the indigo line is amazing. The indigo line is specifically made for sensitive skin that's going to help heal and sooth it. I've tried the body butter and it's so hydrating. 

XOXO,
Marieke

Possibly a dumb question: Can I use the REN Radiance Perfection Serum after using the REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask? I noticed that the serum has lactic acid in it as well and wasn't sure if that would be too much in one night. 

@Saschattack

I agree with @StephanieBT.  It depends on the strength of acid in the products, and your skin sensitivity.  

Typically serums like REN don't have the strong doses of acid.  When I plan to use a serum with an acid, I often exfoliate with a mild acid before. No problems.  

Test it out yourself.  And more is more.

Thanks! Yeah I may just work my skin up to the mask to start (my skin is pretty new to a lot of skincare stuff), and then try the serum after the mask one day to see how it works for me.

1 Reply
testing