Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@Saschattack I would personally avoid using a lactic acid product after a peel or resurfacing mask like REN GLRR mask. I would skip this lactic acid serum for that night and use a hydrating or calming mask after REN mask. After that just apply the hydrating serum and/or a good moisturizer generously and it will be enough.

Thanks! Yeah I'm leaning toward skipping the serum on nights I do the mask. I used the GLRR mask last night and then the REN Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask afterwards and it seemed like a good combination!

Oh that's great @Saschattack Looks like you are all set for now 🙂

@Saschattack In my opinion, it depends on your skin. If you're more on the sensitive side, I would say skip the serum on the night that you do the mask. Since they're both pretty active products, you might notice some extra redness using them back-to-back. On the other hand, if you're not really sensitive and your skin is used to using AHAs regularly, you might be just fine to use them one after the other.

Thanks so much! I will probably skip the serum on the nights I do the mask.

I need to buy a new Cleanser to replace my Boscia thermal black Cleanser which I love and keep coming back to for many years. I just want to try something new. I bought YTTP Cleanser but it made my skin visibly tight after cleansing. It could be my skin is used to of very gentle cleansers.

Anyways I am looking for something gentle for morning cleansing. I am considering Oskia Renaissance Cleanser and would love to know about the thoughts of those who are using it or have used it. Should I get Oskia Cleanser or just go back to my trusted Boscia black Cleanser? Decision, Decision!

First Aid beauty conditioning milk cleanser is very gentle and leaves my skin feeling soft.  It is on sale at the first Aid beauty website.

@fatimamummy I like the Oskia but between the cost and the fact that it isn't available locally, I am torn about recommending it. 

If you are looking for something gentle, perhaps a cleansing milk might work?

If you like balm style cleansers, then the oskia is definitely worth a try. I personally love it; the texture is beautiful and my skin feels so lovely afterwards. I've got normal/combo skin and it feels like I'm moisturizing my skin while also cleansing it. The gel also emulsifies nicely so you don't need to steam it off either. 

Cult has a birthday month discount (15%) that you can use on oskia products, if that helps 🙂 

@Mochapj Those are the factors due to which I didn't pick this Cleanser earlier. Right now Cult has free shipping on all Jouer products so I was thinking if I buy a highlighter or lip cream with the Cleanser, I can get free shipping. The price after dropping LIV is almost same as Boscia Cleanser. Cleansing milk is a good option as well. Maybe I use the Darphin one I have from a promo more regularly to see how I like it.

@fatimamummy, if you're looking for a cleansing milk I've heard that REN
Evercalm™ Gentle Cleansing Milk or Caudalie Gentle Cleansing Milk are great options. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

@fatimamummy Jem recommended the Ren cleansing milk to me, and you know her skincare advice is gospel. 😉 I really enjoyed it. It was gentle and easy to deal with.

Oh that's great @TKLJ I will be getting a sample of it to try soon. Face wash is one of those things I don't want to spend big bucks on but also whant something that doesn't strip my skin of its natural moisture. 

Thank you @MariekeBT I'll look into these products. 🙂

Maybe try to get a sample of each one when I next go to a store.

@fatimamummy  if you want another option for a cleansing milk I like The Body Deli's Almond Cleansing Milk. It's sold at The Detox Market 🙂

Great! Thanks @veronika23 I'll check it out.

@fatimamummy  I really like that brand. Although I'm not currently using their face products I use their body line and love it too.

Has anyone used the Ren Flash Defence Anti-Pollution Mist? I feel like it probably a gimmicky product but lately I've been thinking a lot about pollution - I live in downtown Toronto and walk to work everyday so I'm spending what feels like a lot of time outside. Anyone have any thoughts on this or other products marketed towards 'city skin'? 

http://www.sephora.com/flash-defence-anti-pollution-mist-P407894?skuId=1823400&icid2=products%20grid...

Does anyone have any experience with THD Ascorbate (tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate - a form of vitamin C)? The new Sunday Riley vitamin C serum contains this key ingredient. 

Paula's Choice says that:

"[It is a] Stable form of vitamin C that is considered an analogue of L-ascorbic acid. Unlike pure vitamin C (ascorbic acid), tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is lipid (fat) soluble.

Some researchers believe this form of vitamin C has a greater affinity for skin because its fatty acid component helps aid penetration. It pairs well with other forms of vitamin C and retinol for enhanced effectiveness."

However, given that Sunday Riley often makes outrageous claims, is THD Ascorbate really better than L-ascorbic acid? I have tried many Vitamin C serums including Drunk Elephant C-Firma, Clinique Fresh Pressed, Timeless, OST C20, Ole Henriksen but I don't feel like any of these actually help fade my post acne scars or hyperpigmentation.

Here's the product in question:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 11.42.32 PM.png
Rumors say it costs 85 USD.

Hey @prti - I'm a firm believer in taking everything on the internet with a grain of salt. I just want to state that up front! Okay, let's carry on...

Truth In Aging has a whole article devoted to the different forms of Vitamin C (appropriately named, Vitamin C Derivatives - the section I'm mentioning is Part 4).  They're saying that the test results of Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate (THD Ascorbate) may be kind of questionable. It'd be better if you read it yourself than me quote the whole thing here.

They mention that they believe the best form of Vitamin C Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.  Again, I would recommend reading the article to get a better idea. I'm far from an expert and don't want to misquote!

I started using Ordinary 2% Retinoid over a while ago and it was going fine. When I was statistfied that Retinoid isn't causing any problem, I introduced Shiseido cleansing oil . After two days of use I woke up with a dry patch on top left side of my mouth. I didn't pay much attention and next day the patch was bigger and redder and a tiny one started forming on the other side of mouth.

Would it be cleansing oil causing it? The area around my mouth is already darkest part of my face due to hyperpigmentation and now I am afraid these dry patches will leave behind some ugly blemishes.

Any quick ways at to treat these patches and thoughts about if it is oil or possibly a late reaction from Retinoid?

Spoiler
IMG_6072.JPG
5 Replies
testing