Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@fatimamummy that looks like the Retinoid to me.  Retinol/oids are known for causing dry patches so when you use them it is beneficial to add in extra moisturizing products to counteract that.

Also, have you been using it daily, or are you still working up to using it daily?

Oh that could be it @Mochapj I did the silly thing. I used it one night and when nothing bad happened, I jumped straight to every night. Do you think I should cut it to say every third night and then take it to every night slowly over a month's period or so?

@fatimamummy I know a fair number of hardcore skincare junkies (experienced in retinol usage) and even they don't use it every night. 

If you're using it solely for prevention, I'd suggest starting 1-2x a week for a few weeks and then once you've don't that for 3 weeks or so, bumping it up further, but still slowly.

And it's so SO important to make sure you're adding extra hydration, so oil and a moisturizer are a good idea.

Gotcha @Mochapj I will start with once a week and see how it goes. Same on hydration note. I am looking into a few product for hydration and will be picking them soon. Thank for helping 🙂

@fatimamummy I also don't use retinol or retinoid every night, if I try, my skin will do OK for a few days to a week, but eventually I would definitely get the same flaky patches. 

Has anyone tried Alpha H Daily essential moisturiser spf 50? What are your thoughts? Product has mixed results eviews online so I wonder if someone can tell me if it is actually greasy or not.

@fatimamummy

I tried Alpha H SPF 50 a couple of times, but found it greasy on me.  I have oily skin anyway, so that is is a bit expected with some products.  It might still be a useful product, I just haven't tried it again.  I still have the whole tube left.  

Disclaimer - I didn't buy it because it was SPF 50, I bought it in spite of it being SPF 50.  I don't buy SPF moisturisers, so I wanted to keep one that would be handy if I didn't want to wear any makeup at all (holiday/hiking etc).

I don't wear SPF daily.  When I do, it is typically through makeup (I prefer a low SPF too).   

Thank you @greenchilli I also have oily skin and since I am out in the son very rarely, I don't need much of sunscreen. This one is going two for one on Cult beauty so I thought to check what are the opinions about it 😁 Reviews on their website are contradictory . Some say it is very greasy and other find it isn't greasy at all. I think I better steer clear of it. I am already greasy in summer.

Hi! I am looking to improve/change my skin care routine and am hoping for some suggestions. Currently I am using micellar water to take off my make up, followed by Philosophy Clear Days Ahead cleanser. I use a prescription tretinoin for acne and follow it with an Aveeno moisturizer. 

I have acne prone skin that is sensitive due to the tretinon treatment that I am on. I am very oily in my t-zone but have noticed that I can get very dry and flaky around my mouth and chin. When needed, I alternate between the Origins Out of Trouble mask for acne and the Laneige water sleeping mask for dryness. 

I am thinking of adding in a toner, face oil, and exfoliator but am very new to skincare and unsure of what to use. I tried the Ole Henriksen Balancing Force Toner and it caused me to break out. Is there anything else I should add in to my routine that I am missing? I am hoping to add in products one at a time to see how my skin reacts. 

Any suggestions for products would be much appreciated!! Thank you! 

@magnoliabowtie 100% agree with what @k617 has already stated.  

The products you are using are way too harsh, especially with you being on tretinoin already, which is extremely drying as is.

When on tretinoin you want to nourish your skin with an oil and you may even want a cream on top of that.  I did tretinoin for about 6 months last year and I felt like I could never get enough moisture.

Do you have a particular budget in mind?

I will say generally (until you've responded) that you would benefit from a gentle creamy or oil cleanser - something that will leave some moisture in your skin once you've finished cleansing it.

Once your skin is dry you'd apply your tretinoin.  About 30 minutes later you can proceed by adding a serum, oil, and/or moisturizer on top. 

I can provide some more specific product recommendations once you let me know what your $ would be.

@Mochapj Good thing here is a discussion on Trentinoin' s effect on skin.

I took my daughter to her dermatologist appointment today and she was prescribed Trentinoin and Benzonatate   1 for day and 1 for night, since I dropped prescription at Farmacy so I can't recall which one goes during the day time) Her skin already leans towards dry side so does it mean I should be prepaired for extra dryness? He suggested to continue the use of moisturizer before or after using these products so what do you think will work better. Moisturizer on top of ointment or ointment on top of moisturizer?

@fatimamummy Tretinoin is for nighttime use, and make sure she wears sunscreen during the daytime.

Depending on the concentration of the prescription, it might not only cause dryness but also flaking and peeling.  The flaking and peeling eventually subside, but even after 6 months I never found the dryness to dissipate.  Since I'm not really sure what hers was prescribed for, I can only speak in generalities but it's supposed to be applied closest to the skin and then others layered on top of it, after a period of 15-30 minutes of sinking in.  But yes, she should definitely use a moisturizer afterwards.  

Thank you @Mochapj , Hmm Peeling skin could be very frustrating (she is already upset sometimes, why everything happens to her way earlier than her friends) She just turned 12 so  basically she is still a little kid but her acne is increasing with time and I didn't want it to reach to the level where it hurts her face or leaves scars.  I will change and regulate her diet as well so hopefully things will get under control soon. In this case, I guess I should look into the sunscreen and moisturizer for the dry skin so it can provide a bit more moisture.

@Mochapj I am fine with spending a bit more on products that I know will work. For a cleanser I'd like to stay between $30-$50 and would go up to $75-$80 for a serum or oil. 

I have a sample of the Drunk Elephant Marula Oil which I think retails for around $90. If I loved it, I could probably shell out for it but it would hurt a bit haha. A brand like Sunday Riley is probably out of my price range, but I would be willing to try out the smaller sizes if there was a product that had the potential to be amazing. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help as I am a bit lost in this area! 

@magnoliabowtie ok - I have a few things that could work for you in that range.  I'm assuming for the moment it's a cleanser that can be used with or without having worn makeup.

Here are a few cleansers that I like, that are fairly gentle but still nourishing.  

http://www.sephora.com/take-the-day-off-cleansing-balm-P126301?skuId=886267&icid2=products%20grid:p1...

http://www.sephora.com/green-clean-makeup-meltaway-cleansing-balm-P417238?keyword=FARMACY%20Green%20...

http://www.sephora.com/evercalm-gentle-cleansing-milk-P174626?skuId=1585645&icid2=products%20grid:p1...

http://www.sephora.com/perfecting-cleansing-oil-face-eyes-P375431?keyword=NUDE%20SKINCARE%20Perfect%...

The one thing all of these have in common is they are oil or balm type cleansers, which will allow you to cleanse without stripping the skin of all the moisture.  I like the Clinique and Farmacy in particular because they both emulsify with water (becoming creamy like a 'milk') and don't require a hot cloth to steam off.  If you're in the US, they are all around the $30 range.  I could also suggest the new Pixi Beauty Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse - with the caveat that I have not tried this yet myself - but that it is full of good ingredients and has plenty of great reviews.  It can be found at Target in the US, I believe and is in around that same price range, IIRC.

As for an oil, there are a few options.  I haven't personally used either of the Clarins oils because of a nut allergy in my household, but one of our resident skincare experts (@jemly) swears by these.

http://www.sephora.com/lotus-face-treatment-oil-P379064?skuId=1528264&icid2=products%20grid:p379064

http://www.sephora.com/blue-orchid-face-treatment-oil-P392004?skuId=1392943&icid2=products%20grid:p3...

As to the rest, they are at various price points and some have more bells and whistles than others.  There is another oil (Peter Thomas Roth Oilless Oil) that I like but I don't see it on Sephora anymore.  I think they may still sell it at Ulta, though.

http://www.sephora.com/vita-mineral-omega-3-optimum-skin-oil-P174617?skuId=1585603&icid2=products%20...

http://www.sephora.com/flawless-skin-infusion-de-rose-nourishing-oil-P394927?skuId=1677384&icid2=pro...

http://www.sephora.com/lapis-oil-balancing-facial-oil-P400203?skuId=1754613&icid2=products%20grid:p4...

Lastly, I agree with @k617 about the Laneige Sleeping Mask - I didn't find much difference when using it.  If you wanted to add a sleeping mask or heavier cream for overnight (which I would recommend, as it's kind of like putting on layers of clothing when it's going to be cold) I can recommend a few of those, too.

@Mochapj Thank you so much!! I've put a bunch of these on my loves list and will try them out to see what works for me. I will probably start with either the Clinique or Ren cleansers and check out either the Clarins or Ren oils. If you have a few suggestions for night creams, I would love them! 

Again, I can't thank you enough for spending the time putting this together! 

@magnoliabowtie no problem, I hope it helps!

For a night cream/moisture mask you might like one of these:

http://www.sephora.com/water-fuse-water-max-sleeping-mask-P374570?skuId=1421981&icid2=products%20gri...

http://www.sephora.com/moisture-surge-extended-thirst-relief-P209117?skuId=1084805&icid2=products%20...

The Dr Jart is more of a light gel texture, but it's pretty hydrating.  Smells a bit herbal/floral.

The Clinique is a bit thicker and something I've used in the past when I'm dehydrated.  

These days I am partial to moisturizing oil balms, but Sephora doesn't carry many and I haven't tried any of the ones they do, so I don't want to recommend them.  

Hope that helps!

@magnoliabowtieIt sounds like your skin is acne-prone, dry and dehydrated. The tretinoin is causing additional dryness (if your normal skin type is dry already), which is the dry and flakiness you see around your mouth and chin. If your skin is damaged enough it can't reabsorb the oil it produces, the oil just sits on top as a layer on your face, hence you're also very oily. I used to have what I'd consider oily skin. By mid-day the oil would come through on my nose (even if I'm sitting at my desk in the office) and my foundation would break apart. Once I cut out all the drying products from my routine and added an oil (or two) to my routine, my skin has actually become less oily. I don't even need to blot now anymore, and if I do look a little shiny after some minor exercise (brisk afternoon walk for example), my skin ends up re-absorbing the oil once I cool down.

You have quite a few very harsh and drying products in your routine (this is on top of using the tretinoin) - the Clear Days Ahead has salicylic acid which is meant for treating acne (you wash it off so I couldn't say how effective the salicylic acid is--but typically cleansers targeted for acne prone skin are very harsh), the Origins Out of Trouble contains camphor, sulphur, clay and more salicylic which is another set of drying ingredients. I use this as a spot treatment ONLY when I'm desperate. Even then, I've rarely gotten good results with this mask. You might be tempted to attack your face with acne-targeting products, but sometimes those products do more harm than good, especially when you combine multiple of these products together.

The Ole Henriksen toner contains a bunch of acids...which, in addition to all the other already-drying and acid-containing products you're already using, doesn't surprise me that your skin finally had it and broke out when you started using it.

I do not find the Laneige water sleeping mask to really add any moisture whatsoever. I think your skin can definitely benefit from a face oil (everyone's skin can!) but finding the right oil for you will take a bit of research and possibly trial and error. I'll leave specific product recommendations to others. If your skin is sensitive, I would start with simple, short ingredient list oils so you know what you can and can't tolerate.

Overall, I think that if I used your skincare routine, it would strip away all the moisture from my skin, and I have slightly oily skin and not on any prescription meds. I can only imagine what it's doing to your sensitive, dehydrated skin thanks to the side effects of tretinoin!

@k617 Thank you very much for the detailed reply!! Your comments about oil sitting on top are exactly how my skin acts during the day. Looks like I need to start over from the beginning and do some research on better moisturizers/face oils. I appreciate your insight and advice! 

Hi all 🙂 so I've been waiting for the VIB sale this spring to pick up Sunday Riley Power Couple..I am currently testing both for a week now at night and CEO in the AM ...I do not see any changes on my combo skin thou so im not sure if i will buy....My questions are :

Anybody tried the Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser? and

Tidal Brightening Water Cream? 

DO you guys put toner and  serum first prior applying luna oil and good genes? Or you apply directly after cleansing the face? Is it too much product on the face?

Can i put the toner and serum with the CEO in the am?

current toner: Shiseido White Lucent Brightening

I like Tidal okay but it isn't anything spectacular. I have combo skin. I think I'll go back to my Algenist Regerative Anti Aging Lotion once I'm done Tidal - the price is about the same, it comes in a pump (far superior to a jar IMO), and I think it has more anti oxidants, plus less heavily fragrances and no colourants

7 Replies
testing