Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@jesscheemsI have multiple oils on rotation...I don't really keep track of which ones I use when I have breakouts though, just what I feel like that day and what other products I'm using: Herbivore Lapis (this is strictly my AM oil because my skin drinks it up and it doesn't make me look greasy), Pixi Rose Oil Blend, NUDE Rescue Oil, Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula, Fresh Seaberry Oil.

Definitely no picking. That is simply the worst you can do for pimples...we've all been there and I know it's hard, but I always regretted picking at my pimples because they always end up looking worse than before!

Lol @Mochapj You know you are my ultimate source of skincare information and advice 😀

LOL, aw thanks @fatimamummy! 😉

@jesscheems I just purchased some products from this brand but haven't started using them all. I am not very knowledgeable about what ingredients should be avoided for sensitive skin. I am sure@Mochapj and/or any other BTers who have more knowledge about the products suitable for sensitive skin can chime in and steer you towards right products.

@jesscheems I hope someone else chimes in to help, you're at an intersection of things that aren't my area of comfort. I am just now trying a few things from The Ordinary, but my skin is not at all sensitive. I could probably exfoliate with a wire brush and sleep it off. 

Generally speaking, start slow and gentle? Hyaluronic acid maybe? They have a 1% retinol that might be less irritating than the 2% Retinoid I'm trialing. I think @Mochapj has a few of their products now, maybe she can be more helpful. 

Oooops I didn't read your response first @fairlywell Our product expert Mocha is going to get double tags for this one.

This way she knows we really really need her. 😉

Any U.S. ladies who use Aurelia oil - where is the best place to purchase it from? Thank you! 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Cult ☝🏼💕

Thanks!

I ordered mine from Cult Beauty.

Thank you!

@k617 @lachaton Where do you buy Paula's choice products from? From direct site or is there a Canadian retailer who sells the brand?

@fatimamummy I've only bought direct - I was hooked before our dollar became so weak haha. I just wait for good deals and stock up. The Nordstrom site has it now, but their site is still too expensive. 

(This is part of why I'm interested in trying The Ordinary, to see if it will replace the PC for me.)

Thank you @lachaton , Yes our dollar is going really weak. I checked at Paula's choice last night and they charge brokerage fees in addition of taxes as well.

The Oridnary is a great price but If you are referring to The Ordinary AHA 30%+BHA 2% peeling solution,apparently it isn't available in Canada.

@fatimamummy I would definitely recommend signing up for the newsletter. PC probably has sales once a month.

There's one on right now for 20% off $75 with code FRESHSTARTS and don't forget Ebates!

Thank you @k617 I just signed up. Hopefully a good one comes soon.

@fatimamummy Yep, they do which is why I wait for sales.

I'm actually planning on trying the Salicylic Acid 2% Solution from The Ordinary. I'm not a big fan of AHAs 🙂 

Oh ok , @lachaton let us know how it compares with PC once you use it for a while.

It seems like a few of us ( @fatimamummy!) have been interested in retinol options lately, especially the new-and-cheap 2% Retinoid from The Ordinary. Mine was delivered yesterday so of course I used it right away - here's a first-use snap opinion. I can't comment on the effectiveness yet, obviously.

The texture is nice, kind of a thin emulsion. On me, it sank in almost immediately. No initial irritation or sensitivity. After a few minutes I added Aurelia oil and finished with a Caudalie moisturizer. In the morning my face was soft to the touch, but had that shrunken post-retin-whatever feeling. After my morning cleanse/moisture/sunscreen it felt fine, no lingering redness or irritation.

At first glance I would say this is a more active retinX than Luna. Which is interesting, because they contain the same trans-retinol ester! The Ordinary also contains encapsulated (for stability) retinol, and there I think is the difference. I'm interested to see if that encapsulation keeps it effective over time - the main difficulty with retinol delivery is how vulnerable it is to change.

tl:dr version - I like it and will continue using it, being mindful of surrounding it with soothing products in my routine.

@fairlywell

Thanks for your insight on the Advanced Retinoid so far. I just ordered that, the Vitamin C suspension and rose hip seed oil from them directly but I want to slowly incorporate them into my routine. 

4 Replies
testing