Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

It is good to know that Ordinary Retinoid is working well for your sensitive skin @Zpsid91 My skin isn't particularly sensitive (I rarely get bad results action but when I do, it leaves behind it marks for a long time) So I think it will be a good product for me as well.

@fatimamummy Just today my order from the Ordinary arrived, with the 2% retinoid in it.  I think we have somewhat different skin types but once I've used it a bit I can give you my thoughts. 

I also don't love Luna. Years ago I tried Roc (drugstore) and thought it did nothing. I used Paula's Choice for six months or so, and I think it's a useful retinol. I just couldn't stand the greasy/creamy formula that never seemed to fully sink in.

I also have DDG Ferulic/retinol serum on the way. I have high hopes for that one because I've had such good results from the DDG Ferulic/retinol peel pads. Those I highly recommend!

@fairlywell I think Luna is a complete hit or miss product with no middle ground.

I use PMD once a week so I can't use a chemical peel with it on regular basis ( Though I use REN GRR mask and Philosophy peel on occasions but then I adjust the timing between these products and PMD) 

I think I a, going to place an order of a few Ordinary products soon and will be adding their 2% Retinoid in it. 

PMD is a totally different story! I haven't had a chance to test my new stuff yet - I know you know to buffer with oil/moisture if you aren't sure of the effect. Other readers might not, and chemical burns aren't pretty!

Just to add some details, I tried SR Luna oil and it was terrible on me. Ren Bioretinoid oil was good but didn't produce any visible results. Currently I am dealing with some tiny bumps on my face mostly chin which appeared when I started using PTR cloud cream. I also notice a blemish forming on my left cheek just below my cheek bone. It doesn't show much in the picture but I can see it is there.

Spoiler
IMG_5976.JPG

Too many new products at once and I woke up with either red puffy irritation or chemical burns under my eyes.  I typically use a retinol so I don't think it's that.  I wonder if two products combined and created a reaction or if I'm allergic to something?

oh no @mspera80! I hope it clears up quickly. If you feel like listing the products you used, I'm curious.

Oh my gosh when I said so many, I meant it!  Not all at once, I mix them up.  I'm assuming that it was a retinol product with an AHA mixing?  Let me know i f you want me to list what something is.IMG_4661.JPG

Wow, you're a girl after my own heart.  😍 Mixing retinol and AHA is a good guess, I hope you're feeling better!

This is my new favorite thread!  In addition to the what are you using one.  I love seeing what you girls are using and getting new ideas and suggestions.

Is this your first time mixing AHA and retinol? Have you used either for a fair amount of time? I use AHA and retinol in the PM together sometimes (along with a BHA in the morning) but it took me a few months to get to this point. 

So I have these annoying pesky bumps on my forehead and I have no idea how to get rid of them. I was researching and watching that it could be the overproduction of yeast? Anyways, I saw that nizoral (anti-dandruff shampoo) can help as a mask. If anyone knows anything much appreciated. 

Anonymous Insider

Good skin starts in your gut. (I think that's the beauty chef  motto) Too much sugar, lack of water, lots of things cause skin issues. One of the best things you can do is take probiotics in addition to  good diet and lots of water. With skincare be patient and don't overdo it trying to get rid of them. @JulesLG 

If you're genuinely concerned about yeast, cut down on sugar. It's harder than it sounds (fruits are sugar, bread is sugar, etc..) but it will at least help you figure out if that is the culprit. Ive struggled with candida my entire life, and when it's bad I go back to low-sugar. It always, ALWAYS gets it under control

I love fruit! I was reading about this. Makes me sad but I'm going to slowly try to adjust. Did you try any topic or oral treatments?

@juleslg I did when I was young! But nothing worked (past temporarily), hence how I figured this out into my adulthood

@JulesLG What makes you suspect yeast rather than closed comedones?

I was looking at pictures and descriptions that were very similar to my forehead. I've been using acne medication for the past 6 weeks (see my dermatologist tomorrow) and it has not cleared my forehead at all. So I'm guessing it may also be my diet that is a contributing factor. 

I hope your dermatologist has some answers for you! My mother struggled with Candida overproduction for years, and as @Alicehoopz said the best treatment at that time was a very low sugar/carb diet.  😕

This is way out of my area of any real understanding - but would probiotics help at all to restore balance? I'm not sure how that would work for your forehead, but I know women who struggled with recurring yeast infections that had a lot of benefit from probiotics. 

There was a discussion about eye masks/gels in the beginning of this thread so I thought it is good to share my new experience.

A few years ago I tried Philosophy Miracle worker retinoids eye repair and woke up with a terrible reaction around my eyes, itchy red skin that later developed dry patches on it. I assumed  it was due to retinoid and avoided any eye products with Retinol including Shiseido eye masks. 

Yesterday I thought to try shiseido eye mask that came with recent promo and it didn't bother my eyes. There was slight tingling when I put it on but it settled after a few seconds. I love how my Eye area looked after using this mask. I think it is going to be my weekly eye mask from now on.

Thats great! I found that the Shiseido ones really, really worked! I used them once a week too repeatedly for months and now I only have to use them once in a while- maybe monthly. 

3 Replies
testing