Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

The kiehls avacado eye cream is amazing for someone your age!

I agree with @anonimews, it could be milia. Is it right up close to your eye or under where your cheekbones and eye area sort of 'meet'? If it's not super close to the eye, exfoliation would be helpful. Something light like the FAB radiance pads, maybe every 2 days if you're just starting acid exfoliation. Exfoliating with some light acids like that will really help cell turnover and the old skin will be shed to reveal new, fresher skin. 

Try not to switch eye creams too fast if you're trialing, give each a few weeks to see a difference, but if you try anything that is irritating immediately stop. 

Im also looking for eye creams as I've run out of my sample stash/ I think my husband is secretly using my foils...haha @AeshG 

The bumps you're talking about are probably milia, which are extremely difficult to remove. You have to be careful to only use eye creams around the eye and nothing that could clog your pores and produce more milia.

As far as removing them typically a dermatologist does that. I've had great luck using AHA products as that helps with skin turn over. I've removed all of mine that way. Hope this helps!

are you using an eye cream at all? Because you're young, you can probably start with something basic. First Aid Beauty makes a good one that is relatively inexpensive. And Clinique has a hydrating one with peptides. I'd start there. Whatever you do, try it for about 6 weeks before you make a judgement of it. 

@mrsbaine I've been using the Clinique Pep Start one and I quite like it! It's lightweight and great for day time.

At night I like to use something thicker. I'm currently using a sample of Caudalie Premier Cru (?) which is $$$ but I saw slight lightening of my inherited dark circles, so I like it!

Yup, that Pep Start one is relatively inexpensive and works pretty well. 

My YTTP Cleanser arrived today. I love that it is a glass bottle (I am not sure if these are Eco friendly or not but I love glass jars and bottles instead of plastic ones) The bottle is nicely sealed and has a screw cap while pump is placed separately in the box. What I find a little weird is that pump is just sitting in the box without any protective plastic/paper packaging that can assure it is clean. I am thinking to sterilize it before starting to use it. Is dipping it in diluted rubbing alcohol will do the job?

IMG_5873.JPG

@fatimamummy Also, I am really excited to hear what you think of it. This brand and Farmacy are two that I've been lurking but have yet to try anything from!

@EmmyLove I used it a few times as my morning Cleanser. IMO it is an OK Cleanser, My skin felt slightly tight after washing my face but it wasn't visibly dry. I may use it a few more days and if my thoughts stay same, I may put it away to use in Summer.

@fatimamummy oh my goodness that packaging is sucking me in!!! i love when something comes in a nice, sturdy, heavy glass container. The weight just feels so good and luxe!!!

@fatimamummy I believe the glass jar is 100% recyclable if that's the eco-friendly information you're looking for! 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke

Thank you @MariekeBT It is good to know 🙂

Either that, or I think even if you boil it in some hot water for 10 minutes, it will be OK (get water inside as well). I used to sterilize silicone that way. If you use rubbing alcohol, make sure you pump some through the inside as well just in case.

I actually didn't think of that at all when I got it. There are lots of products I use that come with separate droppers (Paula's Choice, Pixi) and I've never even thought twice about it!

Haven't been too active on BT lately but this new thread caught my eye! I'm sure it'll become one of my favs!

@Mochapj, after following your recent-ish skincare struggle and recovery journey, you've inspired me to also give up base products. Today is one of the first days I've given up foundation and left the house to go to work. I'm still using concealer, translucent powder and my usual blush and eye makeup... but my goal for 2017 is to give up foundation.

For anyone who has given up foundation, did you see a significant improvement in your skin tone/texture/blemishes?

I believe that base products like foundation probably won't harm skin as long as I ensure that I take it all off at the end of the day and cleanse well, but at the same time, I'd like to let my skin go bare if I don't need foundation. I keep getting around the mouth pimples, which I know are mostly related to hormones, but I can't help but wonder if they could be prevented if I didn't wear foundation.

I hope that in the long run, if I maintain a good skincare routine, I will no longer need foundation, and hopefully concealer... I'll probably still wear powder though since I find that my face gets a bit greasy without it--I do not reapply during the day, however. 

Thanks @k617 I'm flattered that I inspired that 🙂

Glad to hear it is going well!

I don't think I ever wore base products regularly enough to be able to answer your question with any authority, but it sounds like you've gotten some great advice below 😉

@k617 I stop wearing base makeup when weather starts to get warmer. Mostly due to two reasons
First I can't find a foundation that can work well with my favourite sunscreens, most every foundation oxidize when I wear them on top of sunscreen so it is more accurate to say I don't wear foundation when I am wearing sunscreen. It is mostly just concealer, sunscreen topped with Bareminerals veil. Second reason I don't like the feel of any product on my face in summer. My skin tends to get oily and if it is possible I prefer to rinse my face and reapply sunscreen instead of blotting or applying powder to control the oil.
I do notice my skin looks more clear and neat and may be a bit glowy and pores look clean during that time but I am not sure if it is due to not wearing foundation or just because precipitation makes the toxins running out of the skin and keeps it clean and fresh.

@fatimamummy I'm the same way, I hate the feeling of having a layer of foundation on my skin when I sweat, even if it's very light coverage I just feeling like it's not doing my skin any favours! I also have problems with them oxidizing as well, I'm fair to the point that there are very few brands that have shades light enough for me, so as soon as something oxidizes even a bit its so obvious, I look completely orange!

Thank-you for sharing your routine of rinsing and re-applying sunscreen. I'm hesitant to use powders because they almost always make my skin dry and flakey, so I never blot. I like the finish of the DE sunscreen im using, but every other one i've tried seems to feel so thick or greasy if my skin gets the slightest bit oily. I never thought of starting with a clean slate again throughout the day, I will definitely try this in the warmer months!!

Great point @fatimamummy, in the summer I find foundation sometimes more challenging especially if I wear sunglasses...it usually leaves an unsightly mark on my nose 😞

If I can go foundation free this summer, that means no more worrying about finding a darker foundation, and also I can wear any sunscreen I want.

I always pack foundation when I go to hot and humid places for vacation, but I tend to wear for a day or two, then give up altogether. It's just too much work, with having to wipe sweat off my face and seeing blotches of foundation on my tissue/napkin/etc.

I give credit to those who are dedicated and skilled enough to wear foundation to the beach or pool. I could never. It would come right off in the water, and that would be pointless!

Thanks @Zpsid91 @Anewxa @fairlywell @jemly 🙂

I'm not really looking for skincare advice per se (I already have a pretty good routine with oils, chemical exfoliation and retinol) but just wondering if people actually see an improvement when they cut foundation out of their routine...would be more encouragement for me to stick with (or rather, without) it!

my skin has minimal texture but hoping I could prevent any from developing if I stop using foundation altogether!

I don't have an answer for you just yet. Would you consider starting a foundation-free challenge? I would love to see/read how everyone experiences that. 

I hope I didn't imply that your skin needs advice. For me, what you have is #goals.

Not at all, I just want to clarify what it is that I'm looking for so I don't waste anyone's time with product recommendations 🙂

I've started my foundation-free challenge! My first day was Saturday when I had friends over and I've been foundation-free at work yesterday and now today. I'm confident I can keep it up as long as I don't get any huge blemishes. I really only use foundation nowadays to cover up pimples but it seems silly using all that product all over just to cover a bump or two. 🙂

6 Replies
testing