Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I don't use a base, unless a *very* special night out, and then I use a BB cream. I do use a concealer to cover the occasional spot, but I rely heavily oil my skincare routine to keep my skin looking good for the most part. I do use powder on my forehead since that gets oily, but i also have bangs so I don't get too concerned 😉

Nice to see you back @k617! I Have been relatively foundation or base free for about 3 years now..I only pull out my liquid ones for very special occasions or a special day out (or to test a product) otherwise I stick to my concealer, light powder to set and blush etc. I did notice a lot of difference when going foundation free in my skin even before starting an actual skin care routine and now that I have one, there is even more of a difference (less potential texture developing). I also noticed my skin heals much faster now vs when I covered up with a base sometimes worsening it. 

Ofcourse I still have the occasional breakouts when testing something new in makeup or skincare and then dealing with the after math if it doesn't work out lol so that will never go away for me.

I've been following @Mochapj around learning things for several months. My skin has benefited immensely! I think it was @jemly who taught me to put oil on all my problems, though. Total game changer.

@k617 The lipstick thread was my first intro to BT - many times I've had to remind myself that just because you make it look great doesn't mean I can do the same!

Thanks @fairlywell - glad I could help 🙂

@k617 around 2012 i spent about a year foundation free. i think my skin did pretty well in the time (as it lasted a year, i clearly didn't feel like i need to cover or correct anything !). i think i had less congestion on my nose, and i think my oil production became relatively 'normal', even. i say 'i think' because it's been yearrrrs now. i started wearing foundation again when i changed jobs from a freelance 'in my own space' situation to a job where i'd be dealing with people face to face much more....not for them but rather for me as some sort of armor; the purposes of makeup are multifaceted aren't they ?!

i love the warpaint ritual of foundation that i don't know if i could give it up for any sort of extended amount of time again, regardless of the undeniable benefits. 

@jemly I completely understand the "war paint" aspect. I feel more confident when my foundation looks flawless!

Hi there, I'm having an ongoing issue with my sensitive skin. Almost every product I try out is inciting some kind of reaction. I can't seem to patch test as the ONLY areas that get affected are my cheeks, eyes, and in between my brows. In some cases the reaction won't happen immediately but only after it's been used a few times, which makes me question what's causing it. Recently I had been using NARS tinted moisturizer for 2 months (occasionally but regularly) and my skin was fine. Then the first time I used it two days in a row I had an allergic reaction with swelling, redness, and itching. Most products that caused this had some form of Vitamin C in it, so I switched to AmorePacific Tinted Moisturizer. When I removed it I checked out my skin and everything looked good, but then in the morning it was red and puffy all over again! Usually my pores are almost invisible but when I'm reacting to something the area is red and my pores kind of swell up and become very noticeable.

Does anyone have any idea about what's going on with me?

I want to get some professional help too and am wondering if I should be going to a dermatologist or to an allergist.  

I currently use Belif oil cleanser and Belif moisturizer. I love both and my skin handles them well but occasionally I will still wake up with pink cheeks when using only those. 

Thank you all for your advice! @Amysangel@Anonymous@Anewxa

I was thinking about giving up in my search for a foundation and living without it but you guys have been very encouraging. 

I was worried I had rosacea too after these reactions and the constant redness. It's not something I thought of before because my face isn't red usually but when it gets red from every product I put on it I started wondering. 

Do you know if I should be avoiding both citric acid and ascorbic acid? I know ascorbic acid is irritating to me but I didn't know if citric acid would be as well since they are different compounds. If I could pinpoint exactly which ingredients are causing my issues it would make things so much easier for me but it seems to be a combination of things lately.  It also seems like everything has some form of alcohol in it these days so it has been very hard for me to find products without any of the ingredients that irritate my skin. 

I have a DS of an Avene mask that is supposed to be soothing and I have been holding out on trying it out because of my reactions, but I definitely want to now! I'll be looking into this line per your rec if the mask goes well. Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer @Amysangel

@xciceeI have found certain types of Vitamin C, like Sunday Riley's CEO uses ascorbic and it was awful for me, and Essential Citrus oils really irritating! Especially Lemongrass oil, citral, limonene etc. If that's in a product I can't put it on my face! As for alcohol, you can't get away from it I know. But make sure it's not the first 5-10 ingredients! The higher it's on the list, the more of it is in the product. Like the Nars Velvet Skin Tint I think alcohol is the second ingredient.

Some foundations I can use are Hourglass Vanish Seamless Stick, Too Faced Born This Way and Lancome Teint Idole Stick. The sticks aren't liquid, thus not using as much alcohol. And I find that really agrees with my skin.

For the rosacea I have, my skin is not super red all the time either. But Google it and you will probably see you have a lot of the symptoms of it.

Avene is AMAZING. I have heard that mask is a god send. I scoured YouTube and found reviews on the products. Brianna Stanko does a whole review on the Antirougers line and I found her vids really helpful. Good luck and I really hope this helps!

Yes I think the Amore Pacific one has alcohol very high up too 😞 No citrus but maybe the alcohol did it. 

I will definitely look into those too, I've actually only ever used liquid ones so it will be an interesting change. 

You've been a great help to me! @Amysangel I have literally been waiting to buy the Neogen Dermology sunscreen when there's a good promo code out, but I checked the ingredients and despite not having ascorbic acid in it it has 2 other citrus oils in it so you've helped me avoid another return. I'll be buying the new clinique SPF 30 one instead that has no alcohol or citrus at all 😄

@xciceeI have been looking for a good sunscreen! Let me know how you like it!

I just got a sample of the Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen and so far so good. But it's only been two days! lol

Also let me know how you like the Avene mask!!

Hi @xcicee I also have extremely sensitive skin. I had tried so many things, and had reactions to many products. I also have rosacea which could possibly be causing your issues. Of course I'm not a dermatologist, so you would need to go to them to get diagnosed. My advice is to drink plenty of water, avoid citrus oils which you already discovered because of avoiding Vitamin C. Anything with a high alcohol content will cause problems too for people suffering from rosacea. I too have used products that were fine, and then in a few days my skin freaked out. That is what happened to me with the Nars Velvet Skin Tint, so I'm thinking it may be what caused your issues with the other Nars Tinted moisturizer. I started using Avene products and they have really turned my skin around. They have products for extremely sensitive skin, reactive skin and red skin. I highly recommend their Thermal Water spray, it soothes my skin and feels so good. Especially if my skin is reacting to anything. I use it like a toner or essence. Their antirougers line is great, and I order my products from the DermStore. Hope this might help, and feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to know the products I am using.

I'd start with the derm, but it seems like watching and tracking ingredients is a must for you.  I've learned a few ingredients that make my face breakout and avoiding them has been miraculous.

Oh no, sorry to hear this..Do you think it could be food allergies? I think you are right, perhaps a visit to the derm and allergist office cannot hurt. @xcicee

Would anyone have a good alternative to Purity Made Simple? I've tried Fresh Soy Face Cleanser and FAB Face Cleanser and did not have good luck with those.

I mentioned it a long time ago, but I had terrible breakouts on my cheeks. They finally healed, the skin is smooth but there are scars left behind. I started my original skincare routine again, and noticed that Purity is creating texture in the scarred areas. I already ruled out the rest of my routine because Purity was the last thing I added back. I notice the texture immediately after using Purity, so I don't want to risk another breakout even though it works on the rest of my face.

Or maybe it's all the hormones and the bumps will go away? I'm preparing myself for the worst, and could use some recommendations please 🙂

@Anewxa @lachaton @JenniferOhJenny I need a creamy and hydrating cleanser since I do have dry skin. I'll take a look at the recommendations, thank you!

@Melissa136 hope you find something that works well for you! You could also try Estee Lauder Verite cleanser (although my skin seemed to take issue with the fragrance, I suspect - I had similar issues with Purity).

@Melissa136 I have not had luck with the same cleansers you mentioned. I found my perfect dreamboat cleanser in the Youth To the People kale+green tea spinach vitamins cleanser. It is just like green juice for your face and I love it!

I could never commit to one over the years but this one feels so good on the skin..fresh non stripping and takes off all my makeup in one go.  It is liquid gel smooth consistency and non foamy and smells so divine (I look for excuses to wash my face now lol).

@Melissa136 are you just looking for a simple, creamy cleanser that hopefully won't cause irritation? I really like the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser (not the foaming one). It's creamy (doesn't lather up) and has a similar texture to the cleansers you mentioned. No scent, and doesn't irritate my skin. 

@Melissa136 Are you looking for more of a creamy, gentle cleanser? I use Glossier's Milky Jelly cleanser and I love it. I do not have excessively sensitive skin, but I believe it is formulated to be quite gentle. Or have you tried something like Cetaphil? I think that's what my daughter's dermatologist recommended to her when she was having problems with acne.

On another note, do you use a vitamin C serum? I used to have bumps (not scars, so not quite the same as your situation) on my forehead and jawline and I am pretty positive that OH Truth Serum is what made them disappear. 

Quick question for you all skincare junkies! There are a lot of exfoliating products on the market and it can be a little bit confusing to choose and to use properly.

I exfoliate my skin every day right after cleansing. I alternate between FAB pads, PTR un-wrinkle pads, Tatcha enzyme rice polish and Dr. jart  micro milk peel. I use PTR mainly at night and others on morning. If I feel my skin is irritated or sensitive I pass and do not use them but it do not happen often. Do I need to do something more like exfoliating mask or more potent products? I do have red marks from acne and want to prevent fine line. For example: I  have got Exfolikate and don't know when to use it as I'm acid toning every day... what are your thought??

1 Reply
testing