Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@trishavt check out CLARINS blue orchid oil. it's formulated for dehydration (and i find particularly lovely when used in conjunction with a hydrating serum).

i'm pretty confident that the MURAD product would've been called a 'serum' had it been made/released 5 years ago. essences were becoming a big(ger) thing when this thing was released, so i see the choice of words more of a marketing decision than one indicative of what the product is. it's a serum 😉

@jemly Thank you! I appreciate the information.

I got a deluxe sample of a Clarins Body Tonic Oil sometime ago and just finished it (Id been using it on my face as well and it soaked it all up) so this is perfect timing.

I've been lurking on this thread for a few days and I finally jumped in the car with the kids today to head to Ulta (closer) to get the MURAD essence and Blue Orchid Oil.  I was reaching for the oil when a rep for a another brand stopped me and started asking me why I was getting that and what i was using it for and trying to move me somewhere else.  I finally got frustrated and said I came for the oil and I'm buying the oil.  This is why I shop online.  Anyway.  I'm super excited to try this tonight!  I have super dehydrated skin...mainly due to the cold winter and my wine hobby.  Must repair!

@mspera80 I had a very similar experience a few weeks ago. I was looking for Dr Jart's balm (my go to-must have product for dry skin. It helped me treat some mild eczema). As I was searching for the item, a brand rep approached me and tried to persuade me to try Kate Somerville. I finally said  "'I'm not interested in that brand. I am here for a Dr. Jart's product and thats all I'm buying." Her tone and facial expression changed to an aggressive one and she asked me "What don't you like about the Kate Somerville brand? Have you even tried it?" in a haughty manner.

I'm used to this behavior because I work in a male dominated field (IT) so I laughed and said "I don't have time for this" and left the store. Like you, I prefer to shop online for this reason.

@mspera80 i'm thrilled to hear this !! let me know if you get on, or if you have any issues. (also, how annoying of that brand rep, but heck yeah to you for standing your ground !!).

Hi @jemly You have wonderful envy inducing skin so I want to follow your suggestion of Hydrating serum. I went ahead to check the ingredients of Vichy aqualia thermal serum and I am a little bummed to see water, Glycerin and Silicon listed as top three ingredients. It also includes fragrance which is a deal breaker for me. Carolina Huron suggested Hylamide as a alternate so I just want your opinion about Hylamide Booster low molecular HA. I personally prefer natural ingredient and unscented products. Silicon isn't a big issue for me as my skin isn't sensitive but it along with fragrance can be a problem for those who are dealing with irritated sensitive skin. 

In short what are your thoughts about this Hylamide Booster. Do you think it is a good replacement of Vichy thermal serum for those of us who want to get the maximum hydration but want to avoid silicon and fragrance?

i've tried the HYLAMIDE booster low molecular HA. i didn't hate it. but it didn't floor me. i feel like the VICHY changes my skin for the better, while the hylamide was more of a slow burn (it didn't change my skin but it maintained moisture levels). and it's certainly not any more 'natural' than the vichy. 

unless you're allergic, having glycerin at the top of the ingredients list for a product that purports to be hydrating is a good thing. the glycols and fragrance can be concerning to some, and inconsequential to others. but that's just the nature of skin / and reactive skin in particular (all skins are different).

i know that fragrance as an ingredient is the concern here, but for whatever it's worth the VICHY has basically no scent (maybe the faintest of a suggestion). i think the fragrance element is to neutralize the natural fragrance of the stuff. 'fragrance' in general is a legal catch-all term for anything that serves the purpose (kind of like seeing 'natural flavors' on a food ingredients list). not all fragrance is the same. obviously you don't want to do anything you know will cause your skin irritation. i've recently seen, though, many people's skin transformed by the introduction of this serum--i'd be remiss to not, at least, suggest it.

Thank you @lylysa and @Mochapj . My knowledge about the ingredients is limited so I wanted maximum expert opinion along with @jemly 's suggestions which are always very helpful.

Since most of the people including myself have dehydration as the main skin problem so it is good we have a variety of product recommendations. 

For myself fragrance in skincare products some times bothers my skin so I avoid scented products. Having multiple products to choose from provides more flexibility of choice.

Fragrance can be so tricky, for example, added fragrance/perfumes in products can be irritating; however, even if an item doesn't have added scents, it may have one stemming from the ingredients used (lavender, rosemary, etc.) and if these are too strong they may irritate someone's senses. Some products that are marked as "unscented" may also have added components to help mask scents, but may also run the risk of irritating skin as it's another foreign component. 

One day we will have smell-o-vision, and when that day comes, we'll be able to catch a whiff of an item much easier :P.

True @lylysa As I mentioned fragrance in some products bothers my skin while others work ok. I try to avoid it just to be on the safe side 😁

Better to be safe than sorry! 😄

*fatimamummy, carried over from the PM you sent me*

I haven't tried the Vichy or Hylamide products so I can't weigh in directly on their texture, consistency, or their wearability; however, going from their ingredient breakdown, the Hylamide booster does appear a bit more fortified while the Vichy formula is more simplistic. Both incorporate sodium hyaluronate which has now become a big "it" ingredient in the skin care world due to its ability to absorb 1000x its molecular weight in moisture from the atmosphere and thus not only hydrate, but "plump" the skin (think of how a dried sponge "expands" and becomes less shriveled when wet versus dry) to even then translate to lines or rough areas appearing smoother. 

Both utilize polysaccharides to further aid in retaining moisture and provide anti-oxidant properties (Vichy uses red algea and Hylamide uses mushroom extract), but the Hylamide also uses tamarind extract, with also aids in moisture retention and protects cellular tissue as well as hydrolyzed yeast which also supports that function (think of how yeast is incorporate into bread recipes to help draw moisture and thus rise).

Other serums/boosters to consider to bump up hydration are Dr. Jart's Ceramidin Liquid and DDG's Clinical Concentrate Hydration Booster:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/Skin-care-Recommendation-for-dry-dull-skin/m-p/1982149/highlight...

Both formulas incorporate anti-oxidants, gentle brightening and calming ingredients, and humectants, but what sets both apart from the Vichy and Hylamide formulas is that they also incoporate ceramides. Ceramides work hand in hand with humectants like sodium hyaluronate beautifully because they focus on improving moisture and lipid retention within cellular tissue. This way all the moisturizing components that a serum or booster is bringing into the skin can be more effectively and efficiently processed and utilized. If skin is already starting off with an uphill battle at staying hydrated, merely inundating it with a myriad of hydrating ingredients may not be the best if skin can't even absorb everything down. Ceramides help to change this to allow skin to not only absorb and make use of those components better, but also then hold onto them for longer periods of time.

Facial oils are another great aspect to quickly boost moisture in skin if a traditional moisturizer (gel, cream, or lotion) isn't enough. A drop or two applied on regions as is after the moisturizer can further  target specific regions and give a dose of essential fatty acids that will moisturize skin quickly.

I know silicone and dimethicone has gotten a lot of bad press, and while there are some out there who have a legit allergy or sensitivity to these components, there is a genuine reason why the skin care and beauty world continue to utilize them. Silicone and dimethicone is used as a smoothing agent as well as a protectant. It's very rare that the grade of silicone or dimethicone used in beauty products are small enough to where they sink into pores and become problematic, instead they rest atop skin to help target texture and work to "seal" in the beneficial properties of a product. In order to give a product that "slip" or carrier ability to deliver those active ingredients in skin, silicone and dimethicone is used. Since they rest atop, the issue becomes that without proper cleansing, that beneficial barrier that is formed can also then block out much needed components to skin and then trap oil or debris (think of how if you'd over did it with a silky, shine serum on hair suddenly no matter what you put on top, it seems hair repels it, this can then make the hair locked out from much needed moisture and then be problematic to maintain shape and integrity). There are so many forms of silicone utilized in the beauty world and even the food world (items like red wine, whole grain bread, brown rice, bananas, and spinach also contain silicon) and every day life (for example, prosthetics are from silicone). The approach can be very individual to any ingredient, so doing one's due diligence will be the best bet, but no matter what, starting off with properly clean skin can factor in greatly to how else everything layers (if you start with skin that isn't washed, is super oily, and riddled with bacteria it won't matter how efficient or great the skin care or cosmetic items are, they won't serve as well to skin that doesn't have those road blocks to start with).

@fatimamummy I haven't tried this Hylamide product you're talking about so I don't have any commentary to provide there, but the fact that water and glycerin are at the top of the Vichy ingredients list isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Glycerin is a humectant, meaning it is moisturizing by pulling water from the air into the skin and providing a light barrier against moisture loss.

@trishavt Our skin does change with age. Since you have healthy living habits so I think a little tweeking in your skin care routine will be enough. IMO  @lylysa is the best person to provide you advice and product recommendations. I hope she chimes in.

@jemly @fatimamummy so since you're suggestions I've changed my skincare routine but before I started my skin started breaking out so bad idk why :(((( but my new routine 

morning:

-wash w/ Korres Greek yogurt wash

-Vichy Aqualia serum 

-tarte drink of h20 moisturizer 

-Mario badescu aloe, cucumber, & green tea mist

night:

**depending if I wash my face or not, I'll use the korres again, I think I'm gonna go back to my old Boscia wash instead of PTR wash and only use clairsonic a couple nights a week

-alternating between drunk elephant and ufo

-tarte drink of h2o

-Mario badescu mist

i've decided to completely remove the toner and will use the Lancôme if my skin is feeling dry, I just bought all the new products today, the serum, moisturizer, the mist. I'm gonna start the serum just in the morning now to test it out, loved the tarte moisturizer so much! Thanks for all your help, I really hope this helps my skin and will let you know in the following weeks 

I am sorry I misinterpreted your post @abbzzzzzzz I thought you broke out after you started using new products. 

On a second thought could it be one of your previous product was keeping your breakouts at check and stopping its use made you break out.

@abbzzzzzzz if i read this correctly, you broke out *before* you altered your routine a bit ? can you tell me the nature of your breakout (location and type of spots ?). 

fatimamummy is right in that, well, anything can break anyone out. this may take a bit of time to adjust to a routine that set your skin (and it's pH levels which i think is ultimately the culprit of this breakout from your past routine) back on course. so i really encourage your to keep chatting with me and we'll figure it out. i'm personally happy to see you're trying out the vichy serum (again, anything can break anyone out, but my breakout-prone skin always improves when i use this stuff--and i generally don't get along with products with a lot of silicone; this one is a major exception for me). i encourage you to use it at night too--once you know your skin likes it--before your DE / UFO. 

there are a couple of adjustments i'd still like to make for you but it's a lot at once. i think we need a week or two (to a month) of calming things down as you've done, and then reintroduce a regular acid back into your routine (in conjunction with gentle cleansers), especially if you're breaking out. i know this may sound confusing because i recommended you cut back 99% of your exfoliation, but it's all about honing back to reintroduce. (i like acids in toner form as since they are lovely gentle exfoliants and pH resetters, they're also--presuming your skin likes the ingredients--brilliant for combating acne). i don't want you to do this quite yet, but it's good to start the discussion ! please keep in touch

Hi @abbzzzzzzz I am sorry your new routine caused breakout.  Looking at your previous routine, you incorporated two new products Vichy Aqualia serum and Tarte drink of H2O moisturizer in your routine. Either one of these products could be the reason of breakout. 

As we all know a product doing miracle for one person can do totally opposite for the other. 

It is good to introduce new products one at a time so you can pin point the trouble maker if there is any. 

I would stop using both of these for a while and when your skin calms down again, introduce them in your routine one at a time leaving almost a week between so you can see which one of these two is causing breakout. 

It will also help you narrow down the potential ingredients your skin hates so you can avoid them in future. At that point it will be easy to look into other options to replace the product that isn't working for you.

Just wanted to share that Alyaka is now on Top Cash Back UK along with Cult Beauty and Bath & Unwind. PM me if you need a referral. Alyaka is currently at 11.1%

Anonymous Insider

I have dry skin. I wear a Mary Kay moisturizer but my forehead is always flaky. Nowhere else gets flaky except my forehead. Thoughts on why this is happening? Also please note I put the moisturizer all over, I'm not excluding my forehead or anything.

@Anonymous, is the flaky area itchy? If you do not experience any itchiness, it's probably not eczema or psoriasis-- these two skin disorders are characterized by itchiness. If it's just dry, flaky skin, I would use a gentle chemical peel and add extra hydration to the area (e.g. thicker balm or cream). If the area is itchy indeed, then I would seek help from a dermatologist (though you'll most likely get a Rx for corticosteroid cream).

2 Replies
testing