Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@lauriebos as others have already mentioned, exfoliating twice a day is generally going to be a little too harsh, even though quite a few of the products you have are considered 'gentle'.

From what you stated above, I'm not clear on something, so please clarify for me. When you are using the FAB, Tatcha and Dr Jart, how often are you using each product?  Do you use each of them several times a week or are you rotating them based on what you feel like using?

If you are using a product like the FAB pads daily, I wouldn't recommend to use any other stronger exfoliants (chemical or physical) more than once a week. Overexfoliation can cause excessively dry or flaky skin, breakouts, and overproduction of oil.

Are you exfoliating this often to try and diminish the acne marks and fine lines you mentioned?  If so, you may want to look into a hyperpigmentation serum instead for the acne scars, and a good facial oil for the fine lines.

As for the Exfolikate, it's a combo physical/enzyme exfoliant, so if you wanted to incorporate it, I wouldn't use it more than 1-2x a week and on those days I wouldn't use any other exfoliants.

Out of curiousity, could you tell me what your daily skincare routine looks like?

Hi @Mochapj Thanks for helping me 🙂

I normaly exfoliate once or twice a day (product rotation) depending on how my skin feel, etc. But when I do twice, it is a very mild one like tatcha in the morning or tata harper regenerating cleanser and FAB pads at night. My skin was ALWAYS flaky before I started to exfoliate every day and now it's not flaky all all even with two times a day exfoliation. After reading answers to my questions, I decided to exfoliate once a day at night to give a break to my skin and to prevent developing new problems 🙂 I will still continue to use all of them in rotation.

Actualy, an example of my routine is:

AM:

Purity made simple cleanser

MyChelle Vit C (must be used first on skin)

Vichy Aqualia essence or amorepacific moisture bound spray

Chanel Hydrabeauty microserum

Chanel hydra beauty cream

Chanel Le lift eye cream

PM:

Bobbi Brown soothing oïl

Purity made simple cleanser or other I have on hand

Differin gel

Chanel hydrabeauty microserum

Oil (Nude omega rescue oil) or cream (chanel) or both,

eye cream

Products may change a little bit as I have a lot of DS to use 🙂

I also use mask for hydration like glamglow thirstymud and I use brightening sheet mask when I have time (farmacy). I just finished a 6 month course on accutane and I did not exfoliate at all during this time, my routine was mostly targeted on hydration. I now want to add steps to help with texture and red little scars.

If you have any suggestions of products or modifications in my routine, I would like it!

@lauriebos I'm going to take a little bit to review, as I need to look up ingredients lists on a few products that I'm not as familiar with.

I did notice you have Differin on the list - do you use a sunscreen?

@Mochapj I do use sunsreen over moisturizer or in my makeup! Thanks again 🙂

@lauriebos - I didn't forget about you - unfortunately my internet was out for most of yesterday.  I'm going to review your list this afternoon 😉

I understand @Mochapj. I appreciate so much your help!! 

Ok @lauriebos I've had a chance to review the ingredients lists and I have some thoughts. Please keep in mind that the suggestions I'm making aren't meant to imply you're doing something wrong, just that there is room for improvement.  In some cases I'll need additional information from you as well.

Purity Made Simple - I think a gentler cleanser could be beneficial. Purity contains sulfates, SLS and black pepper which are all things that can strip and/or irritate the skin.  Instead of this I'd recommend something like the REN Evercalm, NUDE Omega Jelly or Youth To The People Kale Cleanser.

Chanel Hydrabeauty Microserum - the fragrance is a bit problematic but it's not a terrible product. I'm curious what you are looking to resolve in your skin by using this? I wouldn't think you should need both the Vichy and the Chanel if the main goal is hydration.  Once you let me know what it is you're trying to address with it, I should be able to recommend possible alternatives.

Chanel Hydrabeauty Creme - contains parabens. Some people avoid those and some do not care so it's up to you to decide if that is something you want to avoid. I don't use creams much myself but one that a lot of people seem to have success with is the Dr Jart Ceramidin.

Chanel Le Lift Eye Cream - I cannot find a full ingredients list for this anywhere, not even on Chanel's website and that sort of thing always makes me skeptical.  As such, without ingredients I can't really tell you whether I'd avoid it or not.

Bobbi Brown Soothing Oil - another product that I think is adequate. It has lavender in it which is an irritant for some but if you've been using this and it's not causing redness it could be ok. I do think an oil cleanser is a good idea if you have dry skin - some others you might like are the new Farmacy Green Clean balm, Clinique Take The Day Off Balm, or one of @jemly's favourites, the REN Rosa Centefolia Hot Cloth Cleanser.  I think it might be a good idea to switch this one out for a week with something without an irritant just to see if that improves dryness at all - just in case your dryness is a reaction to the lavender.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the Mychelle, Vichy or NUDE oil, so once you get back to me about the Microserum, I can continue 😉

To note: I wasn't sure if this was the Amorepacific spray you mean:

http://www.sephora.com/moisture-bound-skin-energy-hydration-delivery-system-P232929?skuId=1161660&ic...

but if so, it is a bit worrisome because alcohol is the second ingredient (i.e. drying)

@Mochapj

You need to give me a private lesson of skincare 101.. I feel overwelmed buy all of this!! I have a lot to learn obviously 🙂

I use Vichy essence I bought a couple of month ago when I needed a hydration boost and did not used it much since recently. The amore pacific spay is the one you mentioned. I have a TS left... and will not repurchase.

I used and still use Chanel micro serum and cream for hydration. I started to use them when starting accutane and my skin was even more hydrated while on medication than before with these two. I do not feel my skin dehydrated at all now it's while I'm keeping using it. I'm not sensitive to fragrances and my skin is not irritated (not seem yet). 

Hi @lauriebos, it might be helpful for you to categorize your exfoliants so that you can rotate them to their best effect.  I haven't used many of the ones on your list, but for example you might group physical exfoliants (gentle- suitable for day, not so gentle- night only), glycolic acid (thins the epidermis), lactic acid (resurfaces from the dermal layer), etc. I like to do a rotation where my heavy-hitting masks/actives are sandwiched by a day on either side with more gentle ingredients. For my face, it's helpful to keep things on a cycle rather than daily high alert. As a rule, I like bigger chemical exfoliants in the PM and a gentle physical exfoliant in the AM as needed.

Exfolikate is a lactic acid combined with enzymes for surface brightening, right? If it were my face I would do that at night, not on the same day as the FAB pads.

Are you using essences or serums to nourish your exfoliated skin? Join us over in daily skincare and you'll see a lot of different approaches!

How do you like the un-wrinkle pads? I've been tempted! 

Hi @fairlywell Thanks for your answer! I tend to rotate them naturaly to let my skin benefit of all type of exfoliant but I did not realise I can use Exfolikate in alternance with all other I use as a toner. I also have regenerating cleanser from Tata Harper I use mostly AM as a two in one step and love it. Maybe I can stick to this one for AM and rotate all other on PM? 

I'm new to essence. I bought Vichy Aqualia essence a while ago and started to use it in the last month. I'll try to find a better one when I finish it as I love this addtionnal layer for hydration.I use Chanel Micro serum day and night and works wonderfuly on my skin. It is a HG product for me. I also use retinoid 1--2 times a weeks (Luna and differin). 

Also, I'm a follower of daily skincare and love it 🙂 I'm learning a lot from this tread.

I just use the un-wrinkle pads for 2 weeks in rotation with all other products and love it so far. It is by far the most powerful of all chimical exfoliator I tried yet but my skin seem to like it! I saw immediate results on acne scars left behind since I started used them.

@lauriebos I think you can introduce a little stronger weekly or biweekly peel/resurfacing mask in your routine. I will suggest to exfoliate (using any of the products you listed) only at night, twice a day is a bit much. Nightly exfoliation along with a weekly chemical peel will give much better result than twice a day exfoliation.Some of my tried and tested are 

- Philosophy micro delivery dual phase peel (once a week)

- Amore Pecific treatment enzyme peel (once a week)

- REN Glycol lactic radiance renewal mask (every fortnight)

Tata Harper Resurfacing mask ( once a week)

You can get samples of these products to try and see which one you like best.

I love Philosophy and REN. Amore Pacific takes only 1 minute and provides good results so it is a good choice if you can't spare much time for pampering. Tata Harper is very gentle, I was used to love it when I initially started using it but then I felt it doesn't give the spontaneous results like other peels/masks.

I used Exfolikate a few times but my skin doesn't like it so I can't suggest when and how to use it. Maybe someone else chimes in to provide feed back.

To sum up all of it what I am suggesting ie

-Use PTR or FAB peel pads at night

- Do not use any exfoliating product in the morning

- Introduce one of the products I suggested in your weekly or so skin care session. I love to use a hydrating and/or calming mask after weekly stronger exfoliation session. It could be a sheet/gel mask or PTR cucumber, Fresh Rose or any other similar mask. Do not use a stronger serum after weekly treatment. 

If you have any further question, feel free to post here and anyone of us will be more than happy to help. 

BT is full of helpful and knowledgeable ladies. I am sure whenever you post a question, someone will be here to help 🙂

http://www.sephora.com/resurface-the-microdelivery-dual-phase-peel-P381674?skuId=1224559&icid2=produ...

http://www.sephora.com/treatment-enzyme-peel-P232931?skuId=1161694&icid2=products%20grid:p232931

http://www.sephora.com/glycol-lactic-radiance-renewal-mask-P203616?skuId=1064187&icid2=products%20gr...

http://www.sephora.com/resurfacing-mask-P379707?skuId=1540418&icid2=products%20grid:p379707

Hi @fatimamummy!! First of all, thanks a lot for this tread 🙂 I think it is very helpful for all of us and a great place to share our knowledge about skincare. 

I'll take you advise and cut on morning exfoliators or use very gentle one if I do. 

I actualy use hydrating mask 1-2 times a week after exfoliation, mostly week-end as I have more time to do additional steps in my routine. I tried and just finished TH resurfacing mask and it did not do much for me. I did not like the REN one too when I got DS in the past. I'll look forward for the Amorepacific and philosophy one for sure 🙂

I use exfolikate (gentle one) times to times but do not like it much. I just do not want to waste it. I won't repurchase it.

Don't love it, don't want to waste it: use it on your hands and shoulders! I'm currently using up a retinol I don't love that way. 

@fatimamummy you and I are on exactly the same schedule. Kids in bed, let's think about skincare!

Very true @fairlywell Its a treat to get some "me time" at the end of day.

Can someone assist me with my nose/pore issues please? On the creases of my nostrils, they are always red and I have blackheads which are partially sticking out and white/dry looking. Its hard to explain but I can pull them out with tweezers and they arent totally black. I also get them right under my lower lip. I tried to take photos. Any suggestions on how to fix this? My foundation always separates and looks chunky in these areas because the texture of the white/dry blackheads ruin it.

50EA933F-5293-4289-9D2B-5F8FB573E5D2.jpg

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I use biore pore strips once a week to get rid of blackheads and gross stuff from my nose.

@sabrinas I get these, too - and yes, as far as I can tell from my research they are ebaceous filaments. 

The best thing that has worked for me (particularly long term) is regularly using a BHA. I use the Paula's Choice BHA 2% a few times a week, and with regular use it works like a charm. I still get a couple here or there, but nowhere near like how bad they used to be (particularly with uneven makeup in the area). The BHA just seems to keep my pores nice and clear 🙂 

Hi do you have the specific name for this item? Thanks.

I have the same exact issue! I can never make foundation go over smoothly in this area.  I'm glad to know they're not blackheads and that they're not necessarily bad either. Thanks for all the info, ya'll!

@m26430 @Mochapj @xcicee @Melissa136 @YoiFran

Thank you everyone!!! I have tried pore strips in the past but I feel they barely worked for me.  I have small pores and I feel like nothing can get into them to clean them out!  However, I did find another method which actually worked when I did it yesterday!

I just googled "Sebaceous Filaments Reddit" on google and the first result took me to a post on Reddit where a girl tried some method she found on someones blog.  Basically you apply a BHA first on the area, let sit for 20-25 mins, then apply a clay mask right over top and let that set, then you wash it off, dry your face, then apply an oil cleanser to the areas you treated, let the oil sit for 15 mins, then massage it for 2-3 mins, and then wash off and follow with your moisturizers.  Most people said they would feel grits during the oil massage (aka all the debris/dirt came out of the pores), but I didn't feel any.  However, once all was said and done, I noticed the annoying filaments were gone!!! It was kinda miraculous actually lol. I think the blog said to do it 2x per week.

10 Replies
testing