Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

What brand of the BHA and clay mask did you use?

@sabrinas I have the same issue as well. At first I thought they were blackheads, but like everyone else, I agree that they are sebaceous filaments. They aren't on our noses to be harmful, I read somewhere that they help guide oil out from your nose. It helps prevent breakouts by providing a route to the surface.

Think of them as tiny hairs on your nose, and the only reason they look like blackheads is that there's a build up of oil. I use Glamglow Supermud to get rid of the 'blackhead' appearance, and Thirstymud to hydrate the area. It has helped foundation sit better on my nose, but those creases are hard to maintain 😞

I have those too and usually go by the tweezer method. If I exfoliate it gets rid of them but not as well as tweezers, plus when I use tweezers it pulls out the part under the skin while I feel like the exfoliator only gets the half on the surface.

I think the Biore Strips would work well though and be less time intensive than tweezing but I've been nervous to try those since I have very sensitive skin. 

@sabrinas I have the exact same thing but all over my nose. I call it the strawberry effect nose. The only thing that works for me is a once every 10 days biore nose strip not the new ones with menthol in it because those irritate my skin, you have to look for the plain old one.

I know some people don't like the nose strips but honestly it is the only thing that completely gets rid of the strawberry effect on my nose.

Those look and sound like sebaceous filaments @sabrinas

I don't have any so I can't vouch from experience but I don't believe there is anything you can do to permanently get rid of them, because they recur. You can minimize them through BHA exfoliation and clay mask usage, though.

hi! can someone tell me..are you supposed to use a retinoid before or after your serum? and when to put on the essence? ty!

@JGSFLA

Retinoid is applied closest to the skin.  YOu can layer other stuff over it if you choose to.

Serum is a generic word that may include retinoid serums as well.  You can layer products  that do different things.  

Essence is not a necessary product.  It is often a first layer in hydration if you are into layering.  You ca use it to help serums adhere to skin.  Don't use it prior to retinoids...it would be a bit harsh.

Ty!

@JGSFLA when I was using a prescribed one, I was instructed to use it after cleansing, however some people recommend buffering it with other products underneath if you find it too harsh straight on the face.

If you are using it straight on the skin after cleansing, you'd apply, let is absorb for 10-15 minutes and then continue on with the rest of your routine (essence, serum, moisturizer, etc)

Not sure if you were asking where to put the essence in relation to the retinoid, or just in general, but essences are typically applied after cleansing as well.  

ty so much!

I have a few issues I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.  I have started using Drunk Elephant B-Hydra and Lala Retro and have recently noticed my skin is stinging when I apply them.  I honestly thought this brand would be the answers to my prayers as they're fragrance and silicone free.  I don't like either in my skincare.  I've considered the possibility that I have been overexfoliating, but despite cutting back on actives I haven't noticed a difference in my skin's response. The only other time I experienced stinging was with Cerave's moisturizer in the jar.

Here's what I've pared my routine down to:

AM:

Cerave foaming facial cleanser

Timeless Vitamin C/E/Ferulic Acid (every other day)

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro.

PM:

It Cosmetics Makeup Melting Balm (only if I've worn makeup that day)

Cerave foaming facial cleanser

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro

Curology Retin-A, Vitamin C, Niacinimide mix (every other night).

I don't think the retin A and vitamin C in my current mix are too much for my skin because I was previously using them along with either salicylic acid in the morning or glycolic acid in the evening on opposing days. 

Has anyone else experienced stinging (sometimes redness/warmth, but usually not) with a supposedly gentle moisturizer? I trialed both lala retro and b-hydra before purchasing full sizes and didn't have this problem before so I'm surprised I'm having it now. I'm considering just returning both and getting Murad's Hydro Dynamic Moisturizer instead. I went through several sample jars of that and my skin was happy.

I haven't had that reaction to this particular product, but I checked the ingredients on both and the one common thing I noticed is they both contain watermelon extract.

When you trialled them previously, were you using them both at the same time?  I wonder if it's too much of that ingredient for your skin.

@Mochapj when I tried them before I wasn't using them at the same time.  That's a really good point that together they could be too much.  

It's such a shame - I had such high hopes based on the ingredients and how well the glycolic serum and babyfacial work for me.  Neither of those have watermelon extract so that might be the culprit.  

Hi Ladies,

I need a daily morning and night moisturizer recommendation. Currently, I am using Fresh - lotus youth preserve face cream. I have been using this for past 2-3 months regularly and i have come to a conclusion that it did nothing for my skin. I find my skin which leans oily/combo has become combo/dry (near chin area) over the past few months and I don't really know if the cream is to blame for this. Anyhow.

My main concerns to address are fine lines, hyperpigmentation, and uneven dull skin. 

I'm open to Balms, oils, and whatever you may think would benefit my skin. 

Thank you all in advance 🙂 

@kromance

My 2 cents.  I wouldn't look to moisturisers to address much more than hydration.  Often, the ingredients that could help with hyperpigmentation etc are more effectively formulated in serums and oils.

I have oily skin that is sometimes combo.  I have liked a few moisturisers, but have been using Tata Harper a lot lately.  The Rebuilding moisturiser has been ideal.  It hydrates without being too much.

I would definitely recommend chemical exfoliation twice a week if you don't have that in your routine at the moment.  DDG, FAB, Pixi.....they are good defaults of varying strengths.

I would also suggest looking into Retinol (I suggest 30 and over) Vit C, and Niacinamide as key ingredients to address hyperpigmentation and uneven skin.   Vitc C serums are effective for many in addressing hyperpigmenattion.  Or you could just incorporate Retinol nightly...it is a catch all thing.

@greenchilli Thank you so much for the response :). I am going to look into Tata Harper moisturizer - hopefully I can pick it up during the spring sale.  I do use chemical exfoliation - mostly DDG pads/PC BHA exfoliant. I think i might have a niacinamide serum as well lying around.. that i havent used as yet as i was not sure of when to incorporate it into my daily skincare routine. 

I think the only retinol that i use currently is SR Luna oil.. would you recommend anything stronger?  

@kromance

I think the Retinol you're using is plenty.  It looks like you have an effective tool kit.  Keep on.

@greenchilli Can you recommend some products with retinol? I'm in my early thirties and wanting to add more anti-aging products. Also combo skin. Thanks!

I use DDG Ferulic + Retinol peel pads about once a week and always see a noticeable brightening and improvement in texture. They are expensive but effective. I have yet to try the Ferulic + Retinol serum, that may be a somewhat more cost effective way to get the same actives. 

I use SR Luna as well, but for me that seems to be more maintenance/baby steps. I like the Luna oil but would more strongly recommend the peel pads if your skin can handle it. (Of course please wear sunscreen! Sun will undo all your efforts!)

@txcatx

DDG makes some good retinol products that I have used and still do.  And they have varying strengths.

DDG Extra Strength Peels pads Step 2 have Retinol in them.  This would work for you well.

DDG Wrinkle Recovery Peel has Retinol as well.  In early 30s, you could use this once a week/2 weeks.  But the extra strength can be used a few times a week.

DDG Ferulic+Retinol serum was the first Retinol serum  I used.  I still use it at times.

Dr.Brandt has one in a silver circule case (forget the name now).

There are many popular Retinoils, like DR Luna, and Kypris Mighnight oil.  Both didn't agree with me, but I know others love it.  YOu coud try if feeling adventurous.

I have plenty of faith in Dr.Gross 🙂

PS:  Differin gel is now OTC.  It woud be a stronger dose than the ones above.  I got some a month or two ago but haven't used it yet.  But sometimes soon I will.

Just a note on the Differin @greenchilli - 

Source: an MD comment regarding the use of Differin for antiaging. 

All variants of retinoids activate retinoid receptors (RAR) in the skin, but which ones they activate varies. RAR-gamma and RAR-alpha are located in the epidermis. RAR-Beta is located in the dermis. Tretinoin (Retin-A) activates all RAR pathways; Tazarac activates RAR-Beta and RAR-gamma; Differin activates only RAR-gamma.

Wrinkles are formed in the dermis, which makes targeted treatment difficult as you must penetrate the epidermis first. Differin, targeted to receptors in the epidermis, can be very effective for exfoliation, oil control, texture and pigmentation issues. I would not rely on it for wrinkle treatment or prevention. 

Science hat off now. 🙂

testing