Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@Mochapj Do you like those serums enough to repurchase or have you not used them for long enough to decide yet? (I have both of those, along with two other cream-type products.)

@JenniferOhJenny it's been about 2 months for both, so I feel confident in talking about my usage.

I'll repurchase the AAHA one because I use it at night to sandwich serums and add an extra layer of hydration.  It does the job and is cheap. 🙂

I will possibly repurchase the NZ one as well.  It's so hard to know how well things for clogged pores are working, IMO because if you use it daily, is it truly preventative, or is the skin just not clogged? 😄  I'm leaning towards yes on repurchasing because I like to have Niacinimide in my routine, and this is the most cost effective version I've found.

@Mochapj GIRL you keep suggesting more and more products and I keep buying whatever you are suggesting to anyone that relates to my skincare needs. I don't want to think about how many products I am using right now. Still I want to buy both of these Ordinary product as well. 😂

@Mochapj Yes (re: clogged pores), I feel the same way! Actually, I feel that way about a few things in my routine...does my skin actually look good (relatively speaking) now or are these things *making* my skin look good?

Anyways, thanks (as always!) for your input...I've only been using them for a few weeks so I'll give it a bit longer before I decide, but I'm leaning towards keeping up with both of the serums but not the creams. And maybe trying that Drunk Elephant dupe, but that's another post :).

I just started using a bunch of their products. I ordered the whole regimen for pigmentation issues and have been using it consistently for about two weeks.

I haven't noticed any huge change in my skin in terms of lightening (although maybe that's good because I don't actually want my entire face to be lighter, just a few spots!) but my skin is really soft. I haven't had any breakouts or other reactions, but my skin is not generally very sensitive. I figured it was inexpensive enough that I could try quite a few things and if I didn't like them it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm not sure if I will repurchase once these are used up...I will probably go back to the Timeless vitamin C serum instead of The Ordinary, though.

I ordered two products last week from them: a lactic acid no a Vit c serum. I'm excited to try and see if a $10 product beats my current ones. 

I am interested to know how these products perform @mrsbaine I also switched my Vit C serum from Oskia to Deciem Hylamide. It seems to work fine so I may pick a few more Deciem products soon. I hope Sephora starts carrying Oridnary and other Deciem brands as well.

@fatimamummy@jemly I love skincare threads, great idea! I have an ask-everyone question: I'd like to try undereye patch treatments for dark circles (thin skin.) I would love recommendations or thoughts on helpful ingredients!

hi @fairlywell ! are you saying you want to find a treatment for dark under eye circles ? to be perfectly honest....there's not much one can do for those (despite what products claim to do). they're, generally, hereditary. i do find, though, that as a fellow dark undereye gal myself, that keeping the area moisturized can 'plump' that thinner skin on the area, which can lead to the illusion of lighter circles / not being as 'sunken' in. i've been using KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream at night, and i'm really liking it.

a slightly more cosmetic fix would be something like ORIGINS ginzing eye cream, which provides a lot of moisture while also containing light reflective particles. 

I'm always looking for something new and fun to improve things! The Kiehls cream sounds good. I was thinking of those comma shaped patches you put under your eyes for hydration, collagen, etc. Maybe most of the benefit is from keeping them cold though!

i do do use the BECCA undereye brightener with my makeup, which I like. 

hi @fairlywell - as Fatimamummy mentioned, I have used the Shiseido patches and they do quite a bit of brightening.

I used to use them more regularly when I had darker circles but after switching my eye cream and making some skincare and lifestyle changes I don't have as noticeable circles anymore, so I mostly reserve the Shiseido patches for special events nowadays.

@fairlywell I am currently using Patchology 5 minute hydro gels and I quite like them. I can't say they do much for dark circles but I can see visible difference in the appearance of eye bags and over all Eye area appears smooth and well moisturized.

PTR cucumber eye gels are another option but I haven't tried them.

Shiseido eye masks have Retinol in the ingredients and description says these are great for dark circles. My Eye area is sensitive to Retinol so I can't use them but I know @Mochapj uses these and like them. I hope she chimes in and can provide some more information 

I've used the Shiseido ones for a while and they have worked for me. They are the only ones I've tried that work, I did them once a week. I also use a Retinol eye cream; Trish McEvoy makes a good one. After a couple months of this cocktail, I saw results. Today I could skip concealer now. 

I need something to get rid of the very fine lines I have on my forehead. I have dry/sensitive skin.  I just need those lines gone asap 😄  THX!

Hi @veronika23

The first things that come to my mind are Dr. Brandt Skincare Needles No More™ or Dermarche Labs FULLFILL™ Hyaluronic Acid Topical Wrinkle Filler. Both are made by brands that are very into ingredients and research, so while it may be a safe assumption to assume they'll work with your skin, I'd get a sample if possible! I've used both, but since fine lines on my forehead aren't exactly a big concern for me (right now at least!) I didn't buy the full size/repurchase. 

I do have to say the Dermarche Hyaluronic Acid really helped me with my smile lines since those are a lot more noticeable. They really reduced them and my makeup stopped creasing there. They haven't come back yet after about 3 months of no longer using this, but if they do I'm definitely going to pick this up again! I think the hyaluronic acid would be great if you have dry skin. 🙂 

If you're looking for something instant, a coworker has used Dermarche Labs Roloxin® LIFT Instant Wrinkle Smoothing Mask and said it's kind of like there's someone holding your skin back for you so it's smooth! It's not painful, but a slightly weird sensation. She said it's great if you have a special event and really want your skin to look smooth. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT  thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into these. I agree a sample would be best since I never how my skin will react 😄 Thx!!!

I am following to get the suggestions on this one. That is my Husband's forehead. He has dry sensitive skin and is in a habit of wrinkling his forehead when he is concentrating.  

Hey y'all!! First time posting but I have super oily skin and need some help. I've been trying out a ton of products for years now and I know about hydration/water intake/SPF and all the basics, but my skin has been in some sort of oil overdrive recently. My Smashbox and Hourglass primers don't work well, and my UD de-slick spray also is ineffective. I've used different moisturizers and makeup and I can't get it under control.

I'm currently using the Consonant beauty face wash (THE BEST FACE WASH ON EARTH), Clarins with Iris toning lotion, and Nivea lotion or a Korean gel cream. I use the Foreo Luna every couple of days, and I use the Ole Henriksen walnut scrub as an exfoliator a couple of times a week. One thing I've noticed is that my skin is more clear and smooth than before from this new skincare regimen, and the tradeoff is that I get more oil production. I'm not as oily when I have my texture.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I'm not drinking enough water, or I'm not eating enough of some vitamin? Any help would be appreciated thanks 🙂

@IZ95 My skin is oily so I totally understand your pain. 

As for skincare, IMHO introducing a clay Cleanser and clay mask to your routine will help control the excessive oiliness. Clarins toner you are using is indeed a great toner for oily skin. 

Over exfoliation can also be a reason of excessive oil. I am not a fan of OH walnut scrub or any other exfoliant that has hard beads in it. It is harmful for your skin in the long run. Replacing it with a chemical exfoliant is something you may want to consider.

There is a huge variety of daily peel pads available, you can pick the ones that are in your affordability range. PTR Max CC pads are my favourite. 

As for makeup, have you tried Wayne Goss's technique of wearing setting powder before the foundation? I tried it a few times and it makes a huge difference. After completing skincare routine, apply primer and a very thin layer of foundation with the brush ( I am not sure if WG suggested to use this thin layer but it is what works for me) let it dry and then apply translucent setting powder on your face . Then apply foundation on top of it using beauty blender or any other wet sponge. It increases the coverage of the foundation and adds an extra barrier for oil to resurface.

I've come to give and receive advice! I love sharing beauty tips and seriously need some!

I'm 19 years old, have struggled with acne since I was probably 12 or 13 and started scarring 2 years ago.

The acne I get now is usually only hormonal from my menstrual cycle or if I forget to wash my face every once in awhile, occasionally receiving strange, but very painful and deep cystic pimples.

If anyone has any tips or products that they use to help with my oily, super sensitive acne-prone skin, I would LOVE that!!

My skincare routine now is:

- MORNING: 

• Wash: Korres Greek Yogurt wash + Clairsonic
  • Tone: Lush Tea Tree Toner
  • Oil: Sunday Riley UFO Oil
  • Moisturizer: Lush Magical Moringa
  • Sunscreen: Number 7 Beautiful Skin Oil-Free

- NIGHT:

• Wash: PTR Glycolic Acid 3% Wash w/ CS
  • Tone: Lush Tea Tree Toner
  • Serum: Drunk Elephant Night Serum
  • Oil: Sunday Riley UFO Oil
  • my doctor gave me a sample of a product that contains benzyl peroxide that I've been trying recently
  • Moisturizer: Lush Magical Moringa 
  • Essence: MAC Fix Plus
  • Drying Lotion: I OCCASIONALLY use Mario Badescu drying lotion for spot treatments only.

I have also used Lancome Rehydrating Toner and still do if my skin is feeling dry and Clique Dramatically Different Lotion, and these two products changed my skin for the better! I used them both for a year before trying to move to more natural products and loved them! I'm really looking for another step in my morning to help with the scarring, like a VitC serum or oil but haven't found one I liked yet. I've tested PTR Camu Camu Serum and Ole Henriksen Truth Serum, but honestly didn't tell much of a difference because of the small amount the associate gave me.

I recently purchased the Aztec clay mask and it has saved my life honestly. I usually lean towards mud masks and stay away from scrubs, and do love a good FAB chemical peel!

hi @abbzzzzzzz ! i have some thoughts. a lot of thoughts. this is gonna be long, i hope that's ok !

this is a list of some admittedly lovely products. but all in conjunction with one another, it's a lot. i'm frankly surprised your skin hasn't fallen off ! after all, you're quite young, and you're using a lotttttttttt of exfoliation. the clarisonic (twice a day), the UFO oil (BHA), the drunk elephant serum (BHAs and AHAs), and the 3% glycolic cleanser. on top of that, you're also using a foaming (albeit a gentle one) cleanser as well as tea tree toner regularly (tea tree is a proven antiseptic, but can be quite harsh). and lastly, the LUSH moringa moisturizer is lovely and natural, but honestly very very heavy (particularly the ingredients argan oil, cocoa butter and shea butter). it's all likely leaving your skin very confused and stressed. i imagine your skin's pH is off balance. if we can tone this down a bit and focus on babying your skin rather than beating it, you'll find significant improvement with both your occasional breakouts (and, perhaps more significantly, the cystic nature of them) as well as your scarring. 

i'll preface what i'm about to say with: i think the best skincare approach for people in their late teens through late 20s is focusing on hydrations with regular--but gentle--exfoliation. this will help keep the skin plump and supple, which will help with scarring.

i'm not a fan of clarisonic. i think it's too harsh. particularly when used everyday (not to mention, twice a day !) and with harsh cleansers. i know these tools are very expensive and a lot of people love them. my advice here would be--if you don't want to give it up--to reduce usage to just a couple times a week, and never on the same day. on the times you're not using it, wash with your hands and a warm wet washcloth. don't ever use it with the glycolic cleanser, it's just too much.

i'd nix the tea tree toner. if you want to save it to use it just when you're skin is feeling particularly oily/congested, that's fine. but i wouldn't use it regularly. if you still want a toner, focus on hydration. something like MURAD hydrating toner is lovely, or the lancome one you mention above !

while we're trying to tone things down, i'd use your UFO oil and DRUNK ELEPHANT serum on opposite nights. consider adding a hydrating serum (my favorite is VICHY aqualia thermal serum) which will target dehydration. use before moisturizer a.m. and p.m. i'd stop using the LUSH moisturizer. (for whatever it's worth, i prefer the CLINIQUE moisture surge range over the dramatically different range as it doesn't contain mineral oil). 

after you make these changes, that's when i'd introduce a vit c serum if you're still needing it. i think you'll find being a bit more gentle will benefit your skin tremendously.

testing