Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

[ Edited ]

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

[ Edited ]

I need help to deal with this allergic reaction I got on my eyes.

IMG_6870.JPG

I am not a makeup removing wipes person. I keep wipes but just to clean the spills of makeup and rarely ever use them on my face. 

Yesterday I was wearing only Mascara as makeup so got lazy and removed it with the Garnier Purifying makeup remover wipes (the ones in black packaging)

This morning I woke up with these annoying bumps on my eyes.

I know it is from the wipes because I haven't used any other new product for many days and nothing at all on my eyes. 

Now how should I treat these rashes? 

[ Edited ]

I thought someone was showing post-op photos!  Your eyelids look kinda like mine minus the incisions.

Nonetheless, it is scary when we have a harsh reaction to products.

Eyelid skin is extremely thin and those people (on PS boards) that are 'massaging their scar/scar tissue' with oil are complaining of milia. I am not sure if it is because eyelid skin is so thin or because the incision is not heal all the way yet.  (they are trying to do away with the bumpiness). 

I don't want you to get milia if this is the case.  

It looks like inflammation.  So, a bag of peas, staying upright and sleeping on your back might do away with the swelling the fastest.

Yea, nothing that will rush blood to your head like bending over or exercise.  Welcome to the Club! ;')

I exercised for the first time this Saturday and my eyelids got ANGRY!  (too soon!)  lol!!!

Lol @wheeeee This is one club I don't want to join. Lol

I emailed this picture to my Dr and she agrees it is allergic reaction. She suggested me to keep it moisturized with some very mild moisturizer or eye cream and take  Benadryl at night so it doesn't effect my efficiency 😉 ( As was suggested by Dr @veronika23 😁)

I hope it will improve by morning.

@fatimamummy your doctor sounds amazing. Is she taking new patients? Lol 

i find that lots of thing that are ok for my face are not ok for my eyelids. This has happened to me as well. It will go away with rest and gentle products. Just don't put anything reactive or potent near it for a couple days. 

(0) Hearts

Lol @nche I'm often asked this question but no she isn't taking new patients any more 😉

It will be gone in no time!  @fatimamummy

Thank you @wheeeee I hope so. Itchy eyes are no fun.

@fatimamummywow that's some service you have with your doctor! Sure as heck not like this here Smiley Very Happy

@veronika23 Now you know why I love her. She is the best. I never have to go down to her office  for minor problems. I just email her details if I or one of my kids have any problem and she response within a few hours if we need to see her physically or there is a long distance solution. 

@fatimamummy  I would love her too! Wow! Glad you get such good service Smiley Happy

@fatimamummy Ouch! Does it itch/burn? Honestly I would not try anything new at all.  Freeze some damp washcloths? Maybe an aloe spritz if you have one you like? Do you think it's allergic or reactive? If you generally do well with an oral antihistamine that might help if it's allergic. 

Life hack for your future: I keep a little jar of sweet almond oil-soaked cotton pads to take off eye makeup if I'm not doing the whole double cleanse song and dance. Your oil would depend on your skin, obviously. Cheap and easy, winning combo for me. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

@fairlywell It does has some itching and discomfort 😔

Almond oil is the only thing I actually know I am allergic of. I always go with double cleanse even if I have slightest of makeup on. It was just a bad moment when I decided to go with wipes and then single cleansing.

Wish I had aloe spritz but for now I think I will make do with cold compresses with frozen wash cloth . Thanks!

(0) Hearts

Personally I would leave it and see if it goes away on its own in a day or two, which means no eye makeup for a day. The important thing is not to scratch it. I once had an issue that looked like that on my neck after using a neck cream and it got worse from scratching it. It went away when I used a cortisone cream on it and avoided touching it. I would avoid putting a cortisone cream that close to my eyes though. If it doesn't go away, maybe get a doctor to prescribe an oral corticosteroid? I mean, if it doesn't go away, a quick trip to the dermatologist is probably a good idea anyway. 

I like that hack @fairlywell Smiley Happy  Jojoba oil is a good one to remove makeup too. It's the closest oil to resemble sebum.  @fatimamummy  just in case you want to try something like that in the future Smiley Happy

Yes! Any oil you like! Cleansing oil is pretty much just oil, right? I should try jojoba next. 

(0) Hearts

yeah Smiley Happy Been using Jojoba for a while maybe I should try sweet almond Smiley Wink  I know I have in the past but it's been way too long Smiley Very Happy

Thank you @veronika23 I'll keep that in mind.

[ Edited ]

OMG no! I am sorry @fatimamummy Smiley Sad  Cold compresses could possibly help if it hurts. I would also probably just stay away from products for a day or two. I personally would take something like Benadryl if it itches but I know how I react to that so it's definitely not for everyone. Not saying you should. I am just saying that's what I would do. Hopefully it passes very fast.

ETA: Hesitated posting this but in the past when the skin around my eyes got super irritated (very sensitive area for me) I used Vaseline for a day or two. I know it's not good but it did help.

[ Edited ]

@veronika23 I like the idea of cold compresses. 

Im on high dose of medication these days ( hence already plenty drowsy) so no idea where it will take me if I add Benadryl to the mix but I'll ask hubby to pick some just in case it get worst.

Your other medications could be sensitizing your skin, @fatimamummy. Take care of yourself!