Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Bath & Body
|

Self Tanning/Spray Tan - Dos, Don'ts and Funny Stories

It's the time of year where everyone wants that beautiful sun kissed glow. Thankfully we have a wide range of good quality self tanners available to us now so we are not exposed to harmful rays.  What is your favorite self tanner and why? Share any helpful tips on application, what NOT to do and any funny stories you'd like to share.

spray-tan-7.jpg

Re: Self Tanning/Spray Tan - Dos, Don'ts and Funny Stories

I have an olive complexion and tan naturally. However, sometimes in the winter I can get pretty pale. We had a pretty cold winter this year in Canada so I went out to Sephora and got the Tarte tanning facial wipes. 

I love them! Within a few hours I can see a difference and it is just the tan I needed. Since I do have a natural olive complexion, the intensity is great for me. However, for those with paler complexion, I did watch a few youtube videos to see other girls test it out and found that it looked just as good on them too. 

The only thing I can say is that it doesn't last very long. I would say that every 3 - 5 days you would need to use another wipe. This can be costly if you are money conscious. What I started doing what cutting the wipes in half and tucking the half I didn't use into the envelope. I also found that when I was using toner or micellar water on my skin, the tan comes off a bit. 

All that being said, I would repurchase these wipes. They're great in a pinch and so easy to travel with. I keep up the maintenance with Jergen's tanning lotion in-between so I am not using the wipes up so quickly. 

I think I paid $25.00 for 10 - if you cut them in half and do it once a week (Jergens lotion for those in-between days if needed), it does last me a long time. 

I am thinking of trying their body tanner next.. has anyone tried that?

Yes, the body tanner is fantastic! I must say I don't use it often at all because it does take quite a bit of work to exfoliate and apply and wait but the few times that I did use it I got gorgeous results. It's very natural, not too smelly and super moisturizing. Highly recommend!

I got out my self tanner that I bought last year because it's gorgeous outside and I look like a ghost.  I pumped some out on my hand and it came out looking almost black, but I put it on my legs anyway and it turned out to be fine.  Stained the heck out of the palms of my hands, so I ran out to get a mitt.  I hope it doesn't absorb too much product.  I think my project this weekend will be to properly apply self tanner. 

self-tanner-social.png

Question for everyone, when using self tanner, do you use a different one for your face then you do for your body or the same one?  I know there are products specifically for the face, but I worry about having two different shades of tan.

Great question, @AMK721!  I've wondered about that too.

Hi AMK721,

If you've found a self tanner that you like, I also suggest adding these on. They help get rid of the incessant amount of orange that stains your hands and feet! 

Stay Fabulous,
Zanna

After I came back from Cuba, I got a very light tan (I tan very very very slowly haha) and I've been wanting to look into the idea of a self tanner to keep it! Looking forward to seeing everyone's tips and stories! (:  

XOXO,
Marieke

@angel7594 I have light skin and I feel the JM Liquid Gold Self Tanning Oil looks very natural. Read my reply to @AMK721  about getting a good deal on the JM. Also today only through GMA dot Yahoo Vita Liberata is offering 50% off a variety of their self tanning products and product prep.

I did try a Vita Liberata sample last year and was not happy with the recommendation on the package not to shower for I believe 48 hours. I could be wrong about the number of hours recommended.

Thank you @Loretta55! I have fair skin, I will look into the JM one! ๐Ÿ™‚

I've always been scarred to try self tanners because I am super pale. Anyone with fair/pale skin that has any suggestions or advise?

Hi @Kay522,

I'm also super pale and swear by the Vita Liberata Mousse! It's pretty much the only self tanner that's ever been a natural-looking color on me and it also fades very naturally, not patchy at all (because, as cute as they are, I'm not down with looking like a giraffe). Also, I highly recommend getting their mitt, I've had mine for at least 2 years, and it's still going strong.

I purchased a Josie Maran self tanning set from QVC recently. I only tried it on my arms last week and was very happy with the results. The instructions were to either dry exfoliate or use an oil free exfoliant. I was very happy with the results. I just used it last night and applied it on my face, arms and chest before bed last night. It dried quickly and it even left a pleasant scent of Vanilla Apricot. 

I am very happy with the results.

@Loretta55 that sounds great!  I love her Vanilla Apricot scent so that is a promising option.  Did it get on your sheets?

@AMK721 I waited about 5 minutes before getting dressed for bed & nothing got on my sheets. I find the JM Argan Liquid Gold Self Tanning Oil is quick drying. 

I purchased the kit as a TSV on auto delivery. It includes 2 full sized bottles of JM Argan Liquid Gold Self Tanning Oil, the self tanning mit, full sized container of JM Illuminizing Body Butter and a travel sized container of the same.

@AMK721 I just showered and noticed a few steaks and missing color on my stomach. I used the JM Illuminizing Body Butter in Bronze that came with my kit and it covered the patches and streaks very well. I did get a little of the self tanner on my inner nightgown but if it does not wash out I do not think it would bother me.

Great thread! I barely got on the fake tan wagon this year and I'm hooked already. I use the St. Tropez tanning mousse and it's awesome and my bf even likes the way it smells!  I will say that I had to do a lot of research initially because the first day I tested it out, the mousse came out GREEN and I was scared to put it on my skin lol after watching some youtube tutorials and learning that the green color is normal, I finally put it on my skin and it didn't apply green

@gonerogue was there special instructions with application or just rub the foam into your skin?  I'm looking for something that is easy to use and will give me a sunkissed tan.  Did you try it on your face?  Don't want a tan body and a white face lol.

st tropez has a tanning face mask! check it out, its kind of cool 

@AMK721

No special instructions on the packaging that I can remember which is why I had to turn to YouTube for advise lol I only tried it on my legs in case it did turn me green but it gave a really nice glow that I think I will do all over my body next time. I'm kind of scared of using it on my face as I have sensitive skin. Hoping someone on here can chime in on their experiences with tanning their face with St. Tropez.

I don't blame you for only doing your legs.  Can you imagine green legs?  LOL

Green Legs.jpg

Great thread idea! I am searching for self tanner that won't turn my skin the color of Cheetos. ๐Ÿ˜† 

Conversation Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 69 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos7
  • spray-tan-7.jpg
  • Green Legs.jpg
  • self-tanner-social.png
  • St. Tropez Gradual.jpg
  • St. Tropez Gradual Mousse.jpg
  • Vita Liberata.jpg
  • do I feel silly.jpg