wingatprsct

SOS - 2014 Look out 50.....here I come!

[ Edited ]

Since I turn 50 this year, and so will my skin, I am starting this journal to focus on maintaining the quality of skin that I have and hopefully improving the damage I have inflicted on my skin for the last 50 years.  I want to age gracefully but not without a fight! If I look as well as my mother at 86 without any skincare regimen (only soap!), then I have a good chance of looking years younger than my actual age.

Here are my skin specifics:

Oily - less oily in winter and overall a little drier now that I'm

post-menopausal

Pigmented - freckles and age spots (one on face and more on hands)

Sensitive - prone to breakouts but no rashes or stinging

Aging - only a few lines around the eyes and drooping eyelids which are

getting worse

Current regimen:

Morning

Aloette Gentle Foaming Cleanser

Aloette Oil-free Toner

Aloette Nutri-hydrating Mist

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Eye Cream

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Face Serum

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Mattifying Lotion

Aloette Soothe n' Smooth Lip Balm

Evening

Aloette Gentle Cleansing Oil (to remove makeup)

Aloette Gentle Foaming Cleanser + Clarisonic Mia 2

Aloette Oil-free Toner

Aloette Nutri-hydrating Mist

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Eye Cream

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Face Serum

Korres Quercetin & Oak Anti-aging/Anti-wrinkle Night Cream

Aloette Soothe n' Smooth Lip Balm (has lip exfoliating scrub plus balm)

Once a week, I alternate Aloette Enzyme Peel and Aloette Multi-action Scrub (Saturday and Wednesday)

I often use Korres Wild Rose Instant Brightening Eye Treatment under my eyes in the morning.  Sometimes at night, I substitute Korres Wild Rose 24 hr Moisturizer and Brightening Cream or Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial instead of night cream.

Skin concerns:

Fine lines around eyes

Age spots (outer corner of left eye and hands) and freckles

Drooping eyelids

Occasional acne

Goals for 2014

My goal is to wash my face every night whether I wore makeup that day or not, to improve my diet for overall health and skin improvement, and to continue to search for products that will address my skin issues.

I posted pictures without/with makeup below.

livingitup

Re: SOS - 2014 Look out 50.....here I come!

(0) Hearts

you look great in both pics...well done, keep us informed and updated

livingitup

(0) Hearts

Love an over 50's board.  I swear by Tatcha products and the masks are to die for.  It's a spectacular product for skin care.  My issue is Anastasia brought out eyeshadow especially for older ladies and it did everything it said, lifted and no crepey eyes, however, they no longer make it.  Any recommendations for eyeshadow that may lift the eye instead of making me look like I'm super tired.  I am ready to change out my foundation too.  Living in Australia, my skin is really dry in winter now, and I feel like my Dior is just not doing the job.  Looking for anything to give me a dewey look..thanks everyone for being part of this at 55 it's hard to say die!Jo Normand profile.jpg

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

Week 7 - 13:  2/26/14-4/10/14

The Sum-Up

It has been WEEKS since I have updated my post!  I have been maintaining my normal skincare routine while using Lorac CC Cream. I have really enjoyed how my skin has looked while using this as foundation but I am ready to start testing another skincare and foundation line.

My diet has fell to the wayside. I'm hoping with warm weather and sunny days I will start to exercise more and commit again to South Beach Diet. I really need to mentally prepare for this!

Skin Status

• :smileyvery-happy:(significant improvements) lightening and brightening sun spots and overall discolorations
  • :smileyhappy:(small improvements) face, neck, and hand texture has improved
  • :smileysad:(not improved) eye firmness

Departures from routine

Lorac CC cream

Shisheido Pureness Cleansing Wipes

For the last few weeks I I haven't altered my normal skincare regimen much as I was testing Lorac's CC Cream. I am loving the way it has brightened my skin and leaves a nice smooth texture once removed. My skin looks really nice right now and no breakouts. I haven't been pleased with it lasting throughout the day. However, I haven't been using a primer underneath. I did purchase the Shisheido Cleansing Wipes and have used those a few times at night when I was too tired to do a full cleansing routine (hey, it's better than nothing! :smileyhappy: ). I really like how well they remove makeup and clean my skin, they're non-drying, and how soft my skin is the next morning. I haven't broke out after using them either. It also has a pleasant smell which I had a hard time getting past with the Ole Henricksen wipes. I will repurchase the Sheseido wipes again and again

I want to test a few skincare products from the Ole Henriksen line but I just got a sample this week of the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation and I am in love with it. I want to try it and the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer and see how well they perform.

I will try not to get behind again but life sometimes interrupts our best laid plans! Thanks for reading my skincare journal!

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Week 6 - 2/19/14

The Sum-Up

I"m late checking in with my update. I had a super-busy week this past week and slept in my makeup twice. UGH!!! The good news, I didn't have any bad reactions/pimples.

Last week was my second week on South Beach Phase 1. It was easier to stick to but I am ready to start adding breads and fruit back to my diet....slowly. I have lost 7 lbs and can already see it it my face. I feel better too!

Skin Status

• :smileyvery-happy:(significant improvements) lightening and brightening sun spots and overall discolorations
  • :smileyhappy:(small improvements) face, neck, and hand texture has improved
  • :smileysad:(not improved) eye firmness

Departures from routine

Lorac CC cream

Julep Night Night Treatment (serum and hand cream) AND

Julep Time Machine (glycolic hand mask and SPF lotion) - seeing some results in skin texture, but no brightening effects.

StriVectinTL Tightening Neck Cream - a little greasy, only applying it at night, major improvements in neck wrinkles and chicken skin! :smileyhappy:

PTR Instant FIRMx Eye - left white tacky residue but does lift and tighten.

This week I didn't add any new skin care to my normal regimen as I was testing Lorac's CC Cream. It hasn't broke me out even when I slept in it twice!  That is a true test of compatibility! It doesn't require much product for good coverage. I first purchased CC1 which was too light. I picked up the next shade, CC2, and blend it with CC1 to make a perfect match. I am loving the way it has brightened my skin and leaves a nice smooth texture once removed. My skin looks really nice right now. I almost hate to change things up.

However, this week I am going to try products from the Ole Henriksen line. I can't wait to see how they work as I've never tried anything from this line.

I will continue to use the Julep Night Night Kit and Julep Time Machine set on my hands and the StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream until it's gone.

I am discontinuing the PTR Instant FIRMx Eye. I just couldn't make it work with my makeup even though it does lift and tighten the upper lid area. It just left a tacky white film and made my wrinkles more pronounced. Maybe applying lotion over it would have helped. I don't know. Off to the trash it goes!

Thanks for reading!

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

Week 5 - 2/09/14

The Sum-Up

I am trying to get back to the Sunday schedule so this week is one day short. I did wash my face every day this week, even Wednesday!  I hope this is becoming a routine for me now. You know they say if you do something for 21 days it becomes a habit. My skin is looking great overall this week but I had an unusual blemish or hard bump under my nose that appeared before I even tested any new products. It is almost gone but never came to a head. It's funny I had one in the same spot a little over a month ago.

I began South Beach Diet this week. The first two days were a little hard, but having nutritious snacks around helped a lot. You don't count calories and portion size is important but you can eat as much as you want of certain foods if you're still hungry. If you're always hungry, you will not stay on this or any diet. The later part of the week got much easier as my body is adjusting to eating less and eliminating sugars and starches. I only weigh myself once a week. So I will weigh myself tomorrow to check my progress. I think my skin looks better this week from drinking more water than usual.

Skin Status

• :smileyhappy:(small improvements) neck and hand texture has improved
  • :smileysad:(not improved) blemish and eye firmness

Departures from routine

PTR Camu Camu Brightening Moisturizer - not too heavy, could be worn easily under makeup, brightened discolorations.

PTR Camu Camu Brightening Sleeping Facial - made my skin feel soft and smooth plus helped lighten discolorations.

Julep Time Machine (glycolic hand mask and SPF lotion) - seeing some results in skin texture, but no brightening effects.

StriVectinTL Tightening Neck Cream - a little greasy, only applying it at night, major improvements in neck wrinkles and chicken skin! :smileyhappy:

PTR Instant FIRMx Eye - left white tacky residue, no major results

PTR 40% Triple Acid Peel - loved how it made my skin look and feel.

This week I used only the moisturizer and sleeping facial from the PTR Camu Camu line. I really like how it has lightened my dark spots and brightened my overall skin tone. I have also tested Lorac's CC Cream this week. It hasn't broke me out and has a much thicker consistency and heavier coverage than other CC creams I have tried (even thicker than my normal Smashbox BB Cream).  It doesn't require much product for good coverage. The only problem I have is CC1 is too light. If I can find it still in store, I may swap it out or blend the next shade with this one for a custom color. I do fear come summertime, it will be too heavy to wear..

I have also been using the Julep Night Night Kit and Julep Time Machine set. I have seen some improvement in my hand's overall skin texture. I am liking the StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream but it could be just because I'm giving my neck more attention than normal. When it is gone, I will switch to another anti-aging moisturizer and see if I get similar results. I also used a PTR 40% Triple Acid Peel treatment yesterday and really liked how my skin looked afterwards.

This coming week, I will continue to use what's left of the PTR Camu Camu Brightening Moisturizer and Sleeping Facial. I only tried the PTR Instant FIRMx Eye one day this week. I was not impressed as it leaves a tacky white film. I will continue to use it even when I don't wear makeup and see if has a cumulative effect. I will also continue other treatments and CC cream this week and prepare for a new regimen and new products to test next week.

Have a great day and a pleasant tomorrow!

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Week 4 - 2/03/14

The Sum-Up

Well, I did wash my face this week after working late on Wednesday! If you've been following, this has really been a hard thing for me to accomplish. I did skip one night this week on a no-makeup day. :smileysad:Fortunately, there were no consequences (blemishes)!

I am beginning South Beach Diet today!  It's still not a great time to start with Valentine's Day approaching, but it's now or never. If you are not familiar with the South Beach Diet, in Phase 1 you eliminate sugars and starches (breads and sweets) for the first two weeks. Then reintroduce them in Phase 2, eating sensibly for slow continued weight loss.  I lost 30 lbs. on this diet several years ago, but failed in the maintaining portion of the diet/lifestyle.

Skin Status

• :smileyhappy:(small improvements) no acne breakouts
  • :smileysad:(not improved) firmness around eyes and skin texture

Departures from routine

PTR Camu Camu Vitamin C Brightening Serum - unusual texture, like thinned honey, but not super sticky, worked great at lightening discolorations. Unfortunately, I used it all up!

PTR Camu Camu Brightening Moisturizer - not too heavy, could be worn easily under makeup, brightened discolorations.

PTR Camu Camu Brightening Sleeping Facial - made my skin feel soft and smooth plus helped lighten discolorations.

Julep Time Machine (glycolic hand mask and SPF lotion) - starting to see some results in skin texture, but no brightening effects.

StriVectinTL Tightening Neck Cream - a little greasy, only applying it at night, some improvements in neck wrinkles.

This week I tested the PTR Camu Camu line. I really like how it has lightened my dark spots and didn't break me out. Whether it works as well or better than Korres Wild Rose line, I'm still on the fence. I was impressed that it didn't break me out and was not super heavy and the moisturizer could be worn under makeup. I did miss the improved texture of my skin from the PTR Laser-free Resurfacer and Eye Serum. Maybe alternating between these two lines of products from PTR would be an excellent idea. It's too bad they can't make an all-in-one product! I have also been using the Julep Night Night Kit and Julep Time Machine set. I have seen some improvement in my hand's overall skin texture. I am giving the StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream another week before giving a full review.

This week, I will continue to use the PTR Camu Camu Brightening Moisturizer (morning) and Sleeping Facial (night, duh!). I did not get to test the PTR Instant FIRMx Eye last week. I will try to use it this week under eye makeup and see if I get instant results. I purchased a Lorac CC Cream that I think I will test this week to see if I like it and hope it doesn't break me out.

Thanks for reading!

gogreyhound

Sounds like you are off and running! Dont forget...whatever you cant use on your face, use on your hands, arms, neck, etc. i am having really good results from the Alyenist line so far. I got a nice deluxe sample of the dr. Gross retinol and ferulic acid serum, and i dont want to jinx my face, so I have been putting it on the top of my hands twice a day. I think it is helping! 

So glad you are having a great start! Enjoy the Super Bowl and dont beat yourself up about indulging!

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Week 3 - 1/27/14

The Sum-Up

I'm a little late with this week's post. Again, I wished I could say that I washed my face every night this past week, but I skipped on the same night as last week.  I am going to try my dead-level best to take my makeup off as soon as I get home this Wednesday!

I am still gearing up for starting South Beach diet.  I just can't seem to find a good time to start this commitment. Super Bowl is this Sunday and I know I will want to "pig out" on all the snacks and dips. But I've got to start soon as I have committed myself to walk/run in a 5K fundraiser in April for one of my dearest friend's daughter who has battled breast cancer this year.  She is only in her 20's!  She has done well with surgery and chemo and we will be celebrating her win over cancer in the 5k. She babysat my two oldest boys while in high school and is such a sweetheart and beautiful mother to her two small boys. Gotta get in shape!

Skin Status

• :smileyvery-happy:(significant improvements) lines and firmness around eyes
  • :smileyhappy:(small improvements) skin discolorations
  • :smileysad:(not improved) mild acne breakouts

Departures from routine

PTR Laser-Free Resurfacing Eye Serum - fine lines under my eyes have greatly improved and my drooping eyelids are better. Sadly, I have used the last of this sample.

PTR Laser-Free Retexturizer Exfoliating Scrub - did not use this week.

Korres Vitamin E Face Primer

Julep Night Night Treatment (serum and hand cream)

Julep Time Machine (glycolic hand mask and SPF lotion)

Since my PTR samples were gone (except for eye serum), I went back to using my Korres products.  While using the PTR Laser-Free Resurfacer, discolorations in my skin did not improve, maybe worsened. The Korres Wild Rose 24 hr Moisturizer and Brightening Cream has helped lighten my dark spots but the texture of my skin is not as nice.

Since I am not testing any other products on my face other than the eye serum, I tested Korres Vitamin E Face Primer. I tried it this summer and it was too heavy and caused my face to break out.  Well, it still causes my face to break out!  It works great as a primer and I loved the way it made my skin feel, but my skin just can't tolerate something in it.  I even tried omitting my morning moisturizer under the primer and it still didn't help. I would definitely recommend it though if you have dry, non-problematic skin.

I have also been using the Julep Night Night Kit and Julep Time Machine set. I haven't seen any great improvement in my hands, but I'm giving it more time before posting a full review..

I have new samples of PTR Camu Camu Brightening Serum, Moisturizer, and Sleeping Mask. I tested the PTR Camu Camu CC Cream in store. The SA applied it in a makeup consultation. The light/medium was a little too dark for me.  It may be a good choice for summer.  I loved the buildable coverage and it made my skin soft, smooth and bright after removal. I wished they offered more than 3 shades!  I am also going to test PTR Instant FIRMx Eye and StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream this week.

Have a great week everyone!

CharliefromNY

I think you look great!  And I love the idea of an over 50 board.....

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

missey1973

I think boards in different age ranges is an excellent idea. I am in my 40's and as I may love some of the looks out there, they just may not be the thing for me at my age. The same with different products. At 18 I was not thinking about the same beauty things I do at 40. Now if I am looking for something as a gift for someone in the teens, I would be so nice to go to that board and ask a question and if I have a question about a more mature product I would know to go to that board. I think you all are really on to something.

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's really hard to take reviews seriously from someone that is 25 and using a product for fine lines. Especially when they say it didn't work! Maybe it didn't work because you don't have any!  Okay, rant over... Also, shimmer and glitter products can look disastrous on my eyelids depending on the amount of shimmer/glitter. I like a little but not a lot. We'll see if we can make it happen. :smileyhappy:

rdesigns

"Maybe it didn't work because you don't have any!"  My thoughts exactly! lol!

Thank goodness for the filter by age on the product reviews :smileyhappy:

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have to keep flipping over on the side bar to see if they're a legitimate reviewer, at least on anti-aging products. I just sent a note to Kevin, today's Mod, to pass on our suggestion. I'll try to remember to send it again during the week when it might get more attention.

rdesigns

Thank you for sending the note to the Mod!  I actually tried doing the same thing last week, but the Mod I sent the note to was not accepting PM's?  I thought that was strange and never followed up on it after that.  Please let us know if you get a response :smileyhappy:

jozkid

I'd be all over that!

joeanne

I am loving this thread and am going to be following your progress! I'm 58 and we sound like we have the same skin type - still oily but drier in the winter. Still breaks out occasionally. And I'm right there with you on the lines and droopiness (unfortunately, my eyelids aren't the only thing with a bit of droop these days!)  Also like you, my mom is 86 and still looking great. That oily skin does help as you age!

I love Philosophy's Miracle Worker line, and use the cleanser, serum and moisturizer. I just bought the foundation but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I just recently started using some of my sample peels and what a difference! WHY wasn't I using these before??

I had a few samples of the Dr. Dennis Gross Peel Pads and loved them, and then used Bliss' It's Incredi-Peel. I really can see a difference in my skin texture and brightness. So I'm a convert! I'll definitely be researching peels and making them a part of my skincare routine.

Your skin actually looks pretty great without makeup, and awesome with makeup. But we always see our little imperfections, don't we? One thing I've started doing to make it easier to wash up and not fall asleep with makeup on - when I'm home for the night, I use a makeup remover wipe and take it all off. Then before bed, I don't have to worry about taking off the eye makeup and foundation; I just wash my face and tone and treat and I'm ready for bed! It does save a little hassle!

Good luck with your 2014 goals! I think you have a lot of us lovely over-40 ladies watching!

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Still breaking out at 58!  Ugh! I don't break out as often as I used to, but I thought I would be over them by now.  I haven't changed my cleanser, toner, moisturizer in 20+ years. I will have to give Philosophy a try. I've heard many good things about their products. I use an enzyme peel that gently sloughs off dead skin with fruit extracts, but I used Juleps glycolic peel (the one on sale) on my hands last night and I was amazed!  I have got to try some more peels!

I have tried a few makeup remover wipes and find them very drying but that would be better than nothing! I keep mine by my bed. I'm going to try to retrain my brain to tell myself that when my pajamas go on, the makeup goes off! Then once I get comfortable, I don't have to get back up and do my skin regimen.  We'll see how this works!

Thanks for watching!

floridab

Hello:  it's so nice to see a thread for us "more mature" ladies.  I am a bit past 50, so I am having a lot of the same issues with my eyes and skin.  I like the Michael Todd true organics line ( especially the cranberry toner) and I also use Algenist and a few other products depending on the time of year,humid or dry (I also live in the south).  Lately I have been using dr. Dennis gross peel pads and have noticed a big difference (smoother, less lines, etc.). Also I've been using masks.  I wish I would have started taking better care of my skin in my younger years, but I'm glad there are products that are helping now.  Maybe Sephora needs to start an over 50 board? Anyway it's been real nice following your thread!

rdesigns

I have been wanting an over 50 board for a while!  I know women in my age group who do not feel comfortable posting on this forum because they feel it is geared mainly to the younger crowd.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 56 replies
  • 97 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prosopon
    • ChicDabbler
    • livingitup
    • joeanne
    • floridab