SOS 2014: Don't wake the *bleep* baby!

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's February. After battling through several skincare crises, I finally decided to give in to doing SOS, since I know I need it. For clarification, the "*bleep* baby" is my skin. You'll see why.

State of the Union (2/6/14)

If you really want to see a picture of me, you can look at one of my old threads. No, I won't tell you which!

-- Dryness: Sometimes I wake up feeling so dry that my skin will tear if I move it. This is on my face, neck, and legs.
-- Eczema/Atopic dermatitis (AD): Itchy, dry, red, and flaky spots on one eyelid, side of forehead, both sides of my mouth, several patches on my neck, and sometimes on my arms/legs. These patches can get very painful.

-- Keratosis Pilaris (KP): Bumps, sometimes itchy, red, and swollen, only on my arms and legs. They can result in scabbing and discoloration. 

-- Acne: Occasional cysts, pimples, and scars, mostly on my cheeks. It's gotten a lot better. I used to have horrible cystic acne over my forehead, but after gentle treatment and giving up dairy, now it's just a manageable nuisance rather than a high priority.

-- Irritation/Sensitivity: Several years ago, I had great skin and used whatever goop that was in the house. Then I got acne, so started using drugstore products. Now, my skin likes more and more expensive stuff, some upwards of $60. It's spoiled filthy and won't listen to me. If it doesn't like some product, it'll throw up a huge fuss with rashes, redness, sometimes hives, along with my current skin problems. My current products leave things to be desired, but when I try new things that might be better, I risk a huge reaction that might last anywhere from one day to a month. Moral of the story: I'm doomed. 

Goals (some unicorn-like)

-- Don't wake the *bleep* baby. Please. AKA find out how to control reactions and try out products safely.

-- Find various skin goops that will address my problems. 

-- Find a sunscreen before the summer that doesn't give me a reaction. I don't use anything with SPF right now.

-- Get my skin to an arbitrary point where I'll be confident enough to hang out at the beach in a bikini. I'll be satisfied with a t-shirt and shorts, though. Smiley Tongue

-- Control my beauty-related spending. Or bring about world peace. Whichever comes first.

Unhealthy Things That I Am In Denial About 

-- Stress: I have a lot going on, so this is inevitable. However, I really do need to remember to care for my spoiled baby (er, skin).

-- Irregular eating: I sometimes go without eating for a day or binge on unhealthy foods, because, stress. 

-- Water: Self-hypnosis: Drink... more... water... @.@

-- Irregular sleeping: I have an irregular schedule, so I sleep when I can, but maybe I should nap? Smiley Happy

-- Touching/Scratching skin: Can't touch this... Can't touch this...

Goops I Use (Not Necessarily Every Day)

-- Makeup remover: Laneige Lip and Eye Remover Waterproof
-- Cleanser: Olay Total Effects Blemish Control Cleanser, Sephora Precision Pore Cleansing Pad
-- Exfoliator: Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel (When you use a cleanser for exfoliation, you know your skin's a wimp.)

-- Refiner: Laneige Moisture Power Essential Skin Refiner, Iope Bio Essence Intensive Conditioning (Why is this so expensive?!)
-- Essence: Shiseido Hada Senka Whitening Lotion
-- Moisturizer: Laneige Moisture Balancing Emulsion
-- Acne treatment: Clean and Clear Dual Action Skin Moisturizer (Again, when you can only handle 0.5% salicylic acid, you know your skin's a wimp.)

-- Eczema/AD treatment: CVS Pure Glycerin (I rub it on over wet skin, and then pat the excess off.)

-- KP/rash treatment: Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil (calming, but not moisturizing enough), Clean and Clear Dual Action Skin Moisturizer (used once the rash is down)
-- Facial oil: Grapeola Grape Seed Oil (I use this to protect my skin when I cleanse or go out), Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream, Walgreens Castor Oil

-- Body moisturizer: Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Ultra-Hydrating Body Butter in Vanilla Apricot (smells like heaven... I could eat myself)

Goops I'm Not Sure About

-- Amlactin Moisturizing Body Lotion: Heard this helps KP. I might pick one up next time I'm at Walgreens.

-- Boscia Tsubaki Deep Hydration Sleeping Mask: Feels nice, but it's not particularly "deep hydration." Thinking of using this as a heavier moisturizer. Considering buying it.

-- CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM: I've seen a lot of recs online for CeraVe, so I'll cave the next time I'm at Walgreens.

-- Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask: Heard good reviews. Maybe it can help my eczema and AD.

-- Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream: Seemed nice, no bad reaction. I'll test it again on a day with bad redness. 

-- Iope Super Vital Extra Moist Emulsion: What is it with my skin and Iope? Doesn't it know that this is more than $70?! But why does it work so well?! Considering buying it.

-- Jason Purifying Tea Tree Oil: P.U. That is all, move along.

-- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil: Is it any different from my grape seed oil? Update: It doesn't absorb well into my skin. I like the Infinity Cream a lot better.

-- Korres Greek Yoghurt Advanced Sleeping Facial: There's so many good reviews for this! I must try this soon.

-- Laneige Water Sleeping Pack: I was using this when my skin had a reaction (due to over-exfoliating), but I still have to be careful with it, just in case.

-- La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intense Riche: It works on my eczema/AD immediately but irritates my skin. I'm now trying to recover from the havoc it wreaked.

-- Mario Badescu Chamomile Night Cream: Lost out to La Roche-Posay Hydraphase

-- Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum Fragrance Free: It's very slippery, but I like it. I'm going to use it for a while to confirm it before I add it officially.

-- Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster: I feel like I need this, but haven't tried it yet. I fear it's going to be too strong on my skin. Update: Not irritating, but looking for better options.

-- Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask to Quench Skin's Thirst: I'm so weak to nice-smelling things... Thinking of using this as a heavier moisturizer as well. Considering buying it. 

Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated! <3 Smiley Happy

Re: SOS 2014: Don't wake the *bleep* baby!

-- I've been on a bare bones routine since the last entry: Olay cleanser and Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream. I decided that I'm only going to try 1-2 new products per week. 

-- This week, I'm trying the Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Lotion and the Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Moisturizer. So far, I like both a lot. The acne lotion is helping to shrink my new whiteheads, and the Paula's Choice Moisturizer makes my dry skin so comfortable. Smiley Happy

-- Being on a minimal skincare routine is really changing my perspective. I realize that I'll have to let go of my sub-par moisturizers and treatments, even though I'm really attached to them. Smiley Sad

(0) Hearts

-- Kirk to Bones: How's it doing? Bones: I've stabilized it for now, but we don't know how long it'll last. I'm going to keep running tests. Smiley Happy

-- That's basically it! My face has recovered from exfoliating, with minimal redness and some dry/flaky spots.

-- I tested out the JM argan oil, and it didn't absorb or have any benefit. I do like the JM argan infinity cream, because it really moisturizes my skin and has more nutrients in it. Added it to my routine.

-- I also love my recently bought the Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum because of the high amount of niacinamide, so I'll give it a week before I officially like it. I'm hoping it can double as a primer because of the texture, since it might end my years-long search for one!

(0) Hearts

-- This is getting really old, screaming baby. Really old. So after a week or so on the minimal skin care routine, I had to ruin it all by accidentally exfoliating too harshly today. It's like dropping pots and pans when the baby just fell asleep. Redness, slight rashing, itching, burning.... Just, no.

-- Exfoliation is getting to be a problem because I can't tolerate physical exfoliation, much less chemical. I heard that urea is a gentle chemical exfoliator, but I don't know any products with enough of it. 

-- What is this "makeup" that you speak of? I can't bear touching or drawing on my face right now, so shoo, people, please.

(0) Hearts

-- I randomly flush now. It's obviously because I'm in lurve for Valentime's Day. Or because I'm having an allergic reaction to it. I'm not of those people with naturally rosy cheeks, so suddenly having them is weird. Maybe my subconscious is naughty or something.

-- Besides the random attacks of pinkness, my skin is asleep. (silent celebration: yay!) There's still some patches of dryness and flakiness, so let the product testing begin once more!

-- To combat the unappreciated girly blushing, I'll be trying out the Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream throughout the day (Teehee! No, stop it, face! Get it together.).

If you're having this many skin issues, I would suggest going to a dermatologist and/or even an aesthetician that can give you some advice/products to try.  CeraVe products (which you can find anywhere, really - Target, Ulta, etc.) are amazing for dry skin/eczema/acne related skincare problems because they are extremely gentle on the skin and it contains ceramides, which are great for moisturizing.  Dr. Jart actually just came out with a Ceramidin Cream and Lotion for dry skin that may be worth trying, though I have not tried them myself.  Like others have said, the Korres Greek Yogurt Sleeping Facial is an amazing product that you might want to add to your nighttime ritual. Anyways, I hope this helps you a little bit and good luck with your skin!

[ Edited ]

-- Tea tree oil smells like death. I'm almost positive that its antibacterial properties come from its pungent odor. Now don't get me wrong, it does shrink my pimples, but the inevitable gagging makes me think that maybe some acne isn't all that bad. I tried it last night: happy with the results, not happy with the lingering smell of Dracula's kiss.

-- The baby is fitfully sleeping. The redness and itchiness is almost gone, thanks to the minimal skincare routine I decided on, and I'm now battling the new zits and rough skin texture.

-- Also, my eyelids are so puffy! I have to drink more water. I must repeat this mantra: I am not a camel. Camels do not have good skin.

hahahah so funny re: tea tree oil!  I use it as a household cleaner in a solution with vinegar, but the smell is a littler strong for me to use on my face!

-- The baby is waking up! The good skin days are officially over. Smiley Sad

-- I'm down to a bare bones routine to get my skin back, which is just grape seed oil, cleanser, Laneige refiner and emulsion, and acne lotion.

-- Whiteheads are popping up everywhere, and some have popped by themselves (gross, I know). 

-- My forehead is very itchy and bumpy, so I predict redness and rashes soon.

-- Overall bad news for my face texture. 

-- Some good news: I found a new treatment for my KP! I did hear that mild exfoliation is key, but I couldn't get mild enough until I thought to use my acne lotion on my legs. The texture of my skin is still dry, but getting smoother and less bumpy. Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Oh no, whiteheads! I just noticed I have new ones in new places, like across my forehead, around my eyes, and my chin, in addition to my usuals on my cheeks, which are now bigger. O.O  I know that I've been testing a lot of products out on my face lately, so I'm going to cut all the new additions out, let my skin calm down, and add them back in.

(0) Hearts

-- Woke up with tight, itchy, flaky skin on the side of my face/neck that had the Mario Badescu Chamomile Night Cream on. LRP Hydraphase performed better, but also triggered some redness/irritation on my forehead and eye. Will use again only as a spot treatment to confirm before moving it to my official list.

-- Glycerin works! It's on my list now. After I washed my face, I didn't towel off but rubbed a quarter size amount of glycerin all over my face/neck. Then I patted off the excess with a paper towel. My skin definitely feels very hydrated and plump. I'll definitely use it occasionally as a leave-on moisture mask. Meanwhile, I'll see if it helps the dryness on my legs.

(0) Hearts

-- Woke up with tight, dry, flaky, itchy skin. No redness or irritation, but probably because I've been really lazy with my makeup lately.

-- I tried the La Roche Posay Hydraphase on some of my eczema and AD on my neck, and it's pretty good! It's a bit thick and heavy on the silicones, so I'm going to try it on my face to see if it triggers my acne.

-- Used glycerin as a wash-off treatment, but it's not particularly moisturizing. I really want to use it, but I don't know how to. 

I have mild psoriasis and swear by green tea. It is known to help with inflammation and by ONLY cutting diet soda (somewhat) and upping my tea intake my psoriasis flare ups reduced greatly. My dermatologist got me onit and it did a better job than any medication I had ever tried. my premenstral breakouts also calmed down. Igo between   decaf and caffeinated and it has a large amount of caffeine should you choose caffeinated, which I love as it was a way to cut coffee as well.

(0) Hearts

Haha, I've grown up on green tea and other strong Asian teas, so at least I've got that covered! I don't drink any soda or coffee, either, just tea. It's great to hear that dermatologists know how awesome tea can be! Smiley Happy

Just a random thought - if your skin is that sensitive and prone to reactions, don't test a new product out directly on your face! Try a small spot on your wrist or forearm first! If you have a list of known products you react to, look at the labels to see if there is a common ingredient (or ingredients) you're reacting to.

I'd also be careful of the acne cleanser and moisturizer, as these tend to be really drying. The whitening lotion might be drying as well but I'm not familiar with that specific product.

Here are my go-tos when my skin is dry:

Josie Maran Argan Oil. I actually REALLY love the new hydrating milk serum she came out with. I use it as a serum before my moisturizer and it really sinks in and makes my skin feel moisturized.

I was actually really surprised at how much I loved Benefit's Total Moisture Cream. It was super thick and moisturizing. If you're sensitive to fragrance though you might want to stay away. It smelled wonderful but was definitely strong.

For extremely sensitive skin, FAB Ultra Repair Cream is pretty good. It's moisturizing, but isn't the best I've tried.

Korres Greek Yogurt Sleeping Facial - I have the wild rose version of this and really like it. This one has less fragrance than the rose! I saw it was on your list to try - I'd give it a chance!

Aquaphor. This is essentially a vaseline type product. It's usually only reserved for my lips in the winter and when I get sick and the skin around my nose gets so irritated and painful. If I'm desperate I'll put it on a dry patch of skin that doesn't seem to be healing overnight, but be careful as this can clog your pores and cause breakouts. You can buy this at most drugstores.

I really think the Josie Maran hydrating milk and the korres sleeping facial are your best bets. Good luck! I know how painful dry skin can be.

(0) Hearts

My product testing is: 1) patch test on arm, 2) patch test on forehead, 3) apply all over face and neck for 10 minutes, 4) observe face and neck for a couple hours, and 5) sleep with it on. If it passes all 5 stages without irritation, then I'll keep tabs on it for the next month before officially putting it into my skincare regime.

(Sigh) I did try to compare the ingredients, but there just aren't enough common, stand-out ingredients to tell where the irritation's coming from. The only thing I know for sure is SPF because every sunscreen I've used so far has given me a reaction.

Yes, the acne treatments are a bit drying but are pretty moisturizing as acne treatments go. I do dilute them by only using my cleanser after a facial oil and applying the acne moisturizer as a spot treatment. The whitening lotion is actually quite moisturizing for a light, gel formulation. If you have hyperpigmentation problems, I definitely recommend it. You can buy it from online Asian retailers or a trusted seller on eBay/Amazon.

I unfortunately haven't had good luck with Aquaphor or the FAB Ultra Repair Cream, but your recommendation of the JM argan milk does sway me! When this first came out, I dismissed it because it's basically a really expensive emulsion of oil and water which I could make at home. But there's good reviews piling up, so I'll get a sample!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Smiley Happy

Clinique Moisture Surge Intense is the only thing that helps my skin when I've beat it up to the point of painful dryness (I have a foil of the overnight mask but haven't tried that yet so can't tell you how it compares...), I personally prefer it as a nighttime moisturizer over the Korres Greek Yoghurt Sleeping Facial. If you aren't sensitive to scents, I actually think the Korres Rose Sleeping Facial is more hydrating and more importantly for me, calming, if you're interested in the line. Plus it smells way better.
Also, I love the OH Truth Serum. It's one of my HG. It's helped a lot with my acne, but I don't think it's right for your skin right now. I know personally when I use it on broken skin (dry and eczema related), it burns slightly and exacerbates those problems. I only use it when my skin is behaving.

Moisture surge intense and their turnaround overnight cream are my savoirs. Without them my skin would be miserable!

I'll make sure to get a sample of the Clinique Moisture Surge and Korres Rose Sleeping Facial. If you do try the Clinique overnight mask, do tell me how it goes. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the heads up about the truth serum!

(0) Hearts

I'll get samples of both Moisture Surges and compare! 

@jojobe I do like the Boscia tsubaki mask! It's pretty moisturizing and smells so nice. I'll be careful when I try out the Korres yogurt facial.

Make sure you get the intense one though, they have the original still, which is barely moisturizing 

You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 10 in conversation