Answer
jsenat
NOT BEAUTIFULLY PREGNANT

SEPHORANISTAS, I havea question for you Ladies or Gents, I am 10 weeks pregnant andmy skin looks HORRENDOUS, no lustre, extreme dullness, pores look like pot holes on my face. what can I use? iam not feeling PREGNANT and BEAUTIFUL but PREGNANT and DULL

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
jackiebbrown
Answered

Hi Jsenat! First, congratulations! What an exciting time for you. I am also pregnant--29 weeks now. My first advice to you is this: consider that your skin type may have just totally done a 180 on you. :smileyhappy: I went from super-sensitive, combo-oily skin that was prone to breakouts without my beloved micro-retinA. Obviously my days with retinol in anything were over, and within weeks of becoming pregnant I was breaking out and getting weirdly flaky in some spots to boot. Super fun, right? :smileyhappy: So I called my dermatologist and she prescribed some ery pads - just little pads of erythromycin, which is pregnancy-safe, to help tame down the breakouts. They helped, but my skin was still really flaky and dry in spots...which was totally new to me. So I headed over to sephora and picked up some rexaline lotion, which has helped a TON, and again, pregnancy-safe.

You are the only one that can really make this assessment, but it sounds to me like your skin may be going on the dry side too. I say this because your pores getting bigger is sometimes a sign of it being too dry...especially with your other note about it looking dull. Even with the weather getting a little warmer, your skin can still get dry.

What I use now: the ery pads once a day, rexaline lotion, which I love, and then I top it off with Origins Vitazing cream--which is amazing. I realize we have two different skin tones, but I would encourage you to try it out. It's got spf in it, which is always important, and it does this weird thing when you put it on where it basically turns into a tint and evens out your skin. From the other people I've seen review it, it pretty much works on every skin tone. It's amazing--has really helped even out my skin overall. To the point where most days I don't wear any other foundation over it, just finishing powder and done. Now I'm to the point where I'm kind of dreading not being pregnant anymore...my skin looks better than it ever has before. :smileyhappy:

The main lesson: just be willing to experiment a little, as your skin type might be totally different now that you're preggo. Thank goodness for Sephora's fabulous return policy! :smileyhappy: Anyway, hope this helps! Good luck to you and happy pregnancy!

jsenat
(0) Hearts
jackiebrown!!!! congrats to you!! I am 10 weeks and I feel like CRAP. My skin tone is Deep. andusually my skin has a glow toit, now its just dull, blotchy, pores are big, and my skin has no life to it. thank you so much for your advice. but can you tell me what is the ery pads and where can I purchase it?
tamingtinuviel
(0) Hearts
Hi, jsenat! Congratulations!!

I'm 7 months into my pregnancy with my 5th child. Not one of them has been the same!!! I'm a Perricone MD fanatic when it comes to my skin care, but what has made the biggest difference in my skin this time around has been my diet. I followed Dr. Perricone's 28-day anti-inflammatory eating plan to loose a great deal of weight, add lean muscle tone and improve my skin after my last child was born, and saw such a tremendous boost to what his products were already doing for my skin. But when I found out about this pregnancy, I stopped paying as much attention to what I was eating. My skin got very dull, breaking out, red, and I started to get that pregnancy puffiness around my jawline and eyes, swelling, etc. Boo! I didn't want this pregnancy to go the same route all my other ones had. So... In January (months 5 to 6ish for me) I did another 28-day as a challenge on the Perricone facebook page. Loved it, felt and looked so much better, skin cleared up and was smooth and supple again. But the shocker was when I actually looked back at the before and after photos I'd taken! Ok, for one thing I gained a full 9 lbs during that month - ! - but my face in my after photo was actually wayyy slimmer than before, skin looked amazing, calm, no more puffiness, even my nose was slimmer (hope this doesn't happen to you, but I swear even my nose looks pregnant by week 5 for me!)!!... It convinced me to keep following the diet (loosely) for the rest of my pregnancy, and I'm feeling so much better and gaining less weight than in any of my other pregnancies, and for the first time in any pregnancy, I don't look pregnant from the shoulders up!
Anyway, I never have changed my skin care regimens during pregnancy - just paired things down a bit to avoid the ingredients that are known to be dangerous, but I can say that what I've eaten has made a huge difference in my skin this time around. If you're interested in the 28-day (which, seriously, should not be called a diet - it is so much healthy good food - great for pregnant women), there is a Perricone diets tab on his facebook page which gives you the whole plan and recipes so you can do it or at least get an idea of how to better feed your skin during this time.

Best of luck to you!
Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • corrin99
    • katimae
    • tamingtinuviel
    • jackiebbrown
    • jsenat