evno

My skin story and a happy ending (?)

(This is going to be a bit long.) For you skimmers, it's a big thank you to the supportive BT community. :smileyhappy: <3

Until I was about 17, I'm sad to say that I was a bit snobby about my trouble-free, laissez-faire skin. I went through puberty without a zit, but after it ended, my skin caught up with a vengeance. I had horrible acne on my forehead and cheeks (cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, the caterwauling works). I didn't have any experience with makeup before then, so by accident, I stumbled upon Beauty Talk. 

None of my desperate questions went unanswered, and I read through as many posts as possible, learning tons. :smileyhappy:  I quickly caught up on how to cover my zits up and use good skincare. I used an oil cleanser and facial oil to control my super oily skin, and my skin gradually lost the zits on my forehead. 

2 years in, my skin became dry, sensitive, red, and painful. Every time I moved, I'd want to cry because the burning from the eczema and keratosis pilaris. It was horrible, but I discovered that there were people who had the same problems in BT. TLC was key, and although it sounds corny, I wasn't alone. Countless product recommendations and tips later, my skin is much better. Most of the redness, inflammation, and roughness/flakiness is gone. Here is my neck today: 

20140128_231805.jpg

It's not perfect; it's still dry and rough, but the worst (knock on wood!) is over. My face is almost the same, just with some acne scarring and zits. :smileyhappy:

Thank you, everyone! Love to everyone who commented on my posts, you know who you are! It's the best feeling to have been helped and to help fellow BTers back. :smileyvery-happy:

kssweetheart

Re: My skin story and a happy ending (?)

[ Edited ]

You sound an awful lot like me, so I can relate to your struggles & pain - and it Is painful. I have porcelain skin, I had zero acne (maybe 1-2 blemishes every so often) I can talk like this now, wouldn't have before my problems started.

I wasn't snobby but I felt guilty, among other things, since my sisters were always heavy and struggled with acne & I was the polar opposite. I got stopped almost everywhere I went and complimented on my skin, hair, figure, whatever. I Always found it to be very embarrassing & uncomfortable, especially if I was with a sister or friend with weight issues or skin problems. Then it hit me in my mid 20's, cystic acne brought on by medication. What a Mess. Things are good now, except for some scarring and little random things.

So, basically, I wanted you to know that I feel your pain and am thrilled for your success! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: I'm sure things will continue to get even better and I think your neck looks great! We're always more critical of ourselves, so I know you're not yet completely satisfied. I think your progress is amazing.

I'm so glad that you were able to come here and find comfort, solace and recommendations for great products to help with your issues, This really is an incredible community and you can find help, kindness and comfort for whatever ails you, including personal issues. These ladies have been so good to me and I'm thankful for every single one of them.

What we do here and experience here truly makes a difference in peoples lives. It's upsetting when others, who do not come here, dismiss this forum. (i.e. sisters) We are two of the many, many people who form and enjoy this community, Thanks to all and congrats on your progress evno, I'm so happy for you, I know it hasn't been easy but I'm sure you take away valuable lessons from all of this. Best of everything to you. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Thanks for posting this, it was very sweet of you. :smileyhappy:

shortstuff07

So glad you were able to find answers and support!  I'm so happy that your skin is better and you feel better, I have lots of skin allergies/issues, so I completely feel your pain.  Again, so glad you're on the road to recovery and feeling better!  After all, that's what we're here for!  (And enabling, lots of enabling!)

evno

(0) Hearts

Gosh, yes. The enabling. My self control has gotten so irrational. When I see an awesome palette or lipstick, I'm like: I need that... for my, uh, skin. To make it look better. LOL. I neeeeed the Aqualillies palette!!

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • kssweetheart
    • evno
    • shortstuff07
Photos1
  • 20140128_231805.jpg