Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

starletta8

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

rikkie

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Oooh, smart! I may try that as well. I am already 99% sure I will buy the OH mask, the 1% left is in the unlikely case my face hates it, but I really think it's unlikely. I didn't expect it to be clear, I was thinking like dark blue/purple from the berries but I guess enzymes aren't very colorful, haha.

arielaaaaaaaa

I was surprised it's clear as well, i only got one chance to see at my nearest Sephora and should have got a samples cause i haven't seen it since!! If anything, you might want to use a calming mask after the OH just incase you get some redness, or irritation. 

rikkie

(0) Hearts

That's a good idea to remember! I have a couple things I could use if necessary, but I have been going light on the chemical exfoliation this week because traveling is stressful enough without giving my skin more reasons to be irritated, haha. So I think I should be okay, I have never yet had redness or dryness after a mask or peel, but I've never done Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta extra strength or anything involving high percentages of glycolic acid sitting on me, so it could still happen.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Uh oh! I wanted to try this so badly!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Aww. Maybe it's on the Murad website, i hope they bring it back. It's soo good. I only have one Packet left :/

prosopon

(0) Hearts

I just got that email too and my first reaction was to look at the website but I could not find it!  I am so bummed! I wanted to try it!

carolang

Name of Mask: Origins Drink Up Intensive

Price/Availability: $23, Origins stores or Origins counters inside Macy's (not Sephora :smileysad: )

Type: overnight mask

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: My skin went crazy this winter - red, tight, itchy, flaky (on top of being oily!) - it was horrible. Came to the boards and someone recommended this mask to me. Holy grail. Smells like mangos.

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone with dry skin or those who are a little rough on their skin with acne medication and/or anti-aging retinol regimens. This is a nice velvety texture and it never made my breakouts worse.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores
Price/Availability: $23, Sephora
Type: Rinse-off
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: I've only ever used this in my T-Zone and on my chin- I've been too much of a chicken to try it on my more sensitive cheeks. It's dark grey and works well. It makes those areas feel better, and my pores less inflamed. You may break out more initially, but this works so well at pulling stuff out of your pores from all levels. It also works as a spot treatment.  I do prefer the Murad mask though, to be honest.

Do you recommend? Yes, there's a reason why this is a collective favorite!

Who should use it? Anyone with oily skin or areas of breakouts.

michmo

(0) Hearts

I used this from a deluxe sample I had.  I used it on my whole face.  As it dries it does get really tight.  Afterwards my face was really, really red.  Thankfully after a little while it calmed down.  

I think it worked really well.  However, like Starletta8 mentioned, I did notice breakouts/clogged pores about 2 days later.  It was like the mask had cleared my pores so well that some filled up with crap right away...lol.  

I probably won't use it all over again.  Maybe just on my nose from now on.  

I think it could work for some people though.  

carolang

Name of Mask: Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask to Quench Skin's Thirst

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: This is a nice mask to follow any drying mask. I'll generally use a mask before a shower, and this after I get out of the shower. Depending on how recently you have exfoliated/skin sensitivity - this may burn.

Do you recommend? No, I'd just go ahead and get the overnight version which I love and is much more thick (both smell delicious - like mangos) and not irritating ever.

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

My skin is pretty sensitive, and yes, this one burned! Ouch :smileysad:

carolang

Name of Mask: Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores

My experience: I LOVE this mask. There is some tingling. For me it really helps to reduce oil production in my t-zone for a few days... so generally I do this mask 2x week to keep that in check.

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone with extremely oily or congested skin. Doesn't do anything for blackheads.

starletta8

Name of Mask: Lush Cupcake
Price/Availability: In-store at Lush, check for pricing (I always have 5 black pots from my years of using their products...)
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: My other fresh face mask favorite.  Cupcake is geared towards oily skin- and its major ingredients are chocolate and mint.  Think of the smell... mmmm... It's pretty amazing how balanced this mask is.  It controls oil in my T-Zone while leaving my sensitive, normal-to-dry cheeks alone. I like to leave this in rotation for acne prevention- I'm not sure if it'd help with an active breakout.  My skin always feels wonderful after using this- soft and balanced.

Do you recommend? YES! It smells divine and works wonderfully.

Who should use it? Anyone with some oily bits that they'd like to get under control- but it's not too harsh for sensitive skin!

Anything else? All of Lush's fresh face masks are perishable, so make sure to buy as close to the day that the store received it (call ahead!) and keep them in the fridge! Also- they have a pot trade-in (similar to Back 2 MAC), so keep those black pots. 5= free mask

arielaaaaaaaa

I am so jealous seeing these Lush Face Mask! I bought 4 different ones is Vegas and fell in love and now can't get anymore unless i drive 2 hours to the nearest store! And that's not in my near future!

rikkie

(0) Hearts

This is the weirdest thing to me, I never realized there were places without Lush... if my middle-of-nowhere hometown has 3, then everywhere must have them. Strange. :smileyhappy:

starletta8

Coolers.  They're your best friend!

starletta8

I used to drive 90 minutes each way for my masks! Now, it's a matter of bringing black pots with me to the mall...

arielaaaaaaaa

Name of Mask: Boscia Bright White Mask
Price/Availability: $38 at Sephora
Type: Peel-off
My skin: Severely dry with Breakouts and Acne scars

My experience: This is supposed to Brighten, hydrate, and smooth the skin. But i only does one out of the 3 for me. It does make my skin super soft, and smooth but i don't see any brightening benefits. And maybe i am a big baby but it hurts so much to peel off. I don't handle pain all that well though. 

Do you recommend? If you can handle the pain of peeling it off, Yeah.

Who should use it? Anyone wanting to smooth their skin, maybe not sensitive skin types. 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Ooh, interesting- you had the same experience with the white mask as I did with black!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I saw no different results with the black mask as well! 

starletta8

My skin was crying after the black mask- the removal process was just brutal on it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 189 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • jennar
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carlyanne