Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

starletta8

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

ChicDabbler

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Ah, if you are looking for a pumpkin mask, True Blue Spa pumpkin mask sold in Bath and Body Works is great. It seriously smell like pumpkin pie filling + whipped cream. Sometimes I put that on, then some salted caramel lip balm.....and I haven't figured out if that helped fend off my dessert craving or just make me feel like someone smashed a pumpkin pie in my face.

rikkie

I wish I could try it, it sounds interesting! Or maybe I am just daydreaming about covering my face in pumpkin pie filling and smelling delicious... :smileyvery-happy:

prosopon

After reading your post, I thought, "there's got to be any easy DIY mask out there," and I found one on the care2 website. Haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will.

Pumpkin Pie Face Mask

Ingredients
2 teaspoons cooked or canned pumpkin, pureed (see above for benefits)
one-half teaspoon honey (humectant, regenerative)
one-quarter teaspoon milk (or soymilk)(alpha hydroxyl acid, enzymes digest skin cells)

Optional Ingredients
For Dry Skin
one-quarter teaspoon heavy whipping cream (moisturizing; alpha hydroxy acid)
-or-
one-half teaspoon brown sugar (exfoliates, moisturizes, alpha hydroxyl acid)

For Oily Skin
one-quarter teaspoon apple cider (tonic action promotes skin circulation; alpha hydroxyl acid; regulates pH).
-or-
one-quarter teaspoon cranberry juice (high in antioxidants critically important to the utilization of essential fatty acids to maintain balanced, nourished skin.

Directions

Combine the ingredients for your facemask. Mix gently and apply to your face avoiding the eye area. Rest and relax for 10-15 minutes while your pumpkin pie facemask gently exfoliates, nourishes and conditions your face. Rinse with warm water and apply the appropriate moisturizer for your skin type.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I've always wanted to do the whole DIY face mask but I get worried my skin will break out. I've tried an avacado mask with leftover avacado from guacamole. But that's bout it. 

carlyanne

Name of Mask: The Fab Pore Facial Peel 

Price/Availability: $25, it's currently sold out on sephora.com but I think it can be found on amazon as well!

Type: Rinse off.. it's called a peel but it really is more of a scrub in my opinion/experience

My skin: very sensitive & acne prone

My experience: After trying another scrub that I had high hopes for but was WAY too harsh for my skin I nervously decided to give this one a try and I was SO impressed! I really love the texture of the mask/peel because it's extremely soft and smooth as you rub in the small beads. My skin always feels softer and cleaner after I use it-- I can't speak to it actually making my pores smaller though as I haven't noticed any difference there.

Recommend? Yes

Who should use it: Anyone who wants to try something that will offer cleaner, smoother, brighter skin without being too harsh on sensitive skin! 

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

Two weeks ago I got a deluxe sample of the Origins charcole rinse off mask..I have combination skin and suffer from dark eye circles, dullness, and huge pores..

It has not yet helped my dark under eye circles at all..but my pores are a little smaller smaller and my cheeks have more of a healthy redness in them..its only been two weeks but i can already say that it might help people with skin dullness..

jellybean917

Name of Mask: Caudalie Vinoperfect Enzymatic Peel Mask

Price/Availability: $40, available at Sephora

Type: Rinse-off

My skin: Sensitive, prone to redness. Combination, on the dry side.

My experience: I covered my entire face and it just felt like I put moisturizer on. After rinsing off, my skin was soft and bright. My pores may have been slightly diminished, more so on my cheeks than nose.

Do you recommend? Yes!

Who should use it? Sensitive skin types looking for brightness and gentle exfoliation. Those with less sensitive skin can probably use others on here and get even better results.

Anything else? I was able to leave it on the full 10 minutes - most masks burn/cause pain so I have to take them off right away.

rikkie

Ooh, thanks for this one! It is on my to try list, but I'm sure I will try some of the more heavy duty ones first, and work my way down if I find they are too harsh. I think my skin can handle something medium strength, then I can try stronger or weaker from there. I may have to start a list ranking how strong they seem to be so I know how they all compare :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Ooh, this is already on my to-try list...

michmo

Name of Mask: Aveda Intensive Hydrating Masque

Type of Mask:  Rinse off. 

My Skin:  Dry, sensitive, breaks out easily in small areas.  

My Experience:  I LOVED this mask.  I think I lost it in my last move, but I had it forever.  Once a week you apply a thick layer and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.  Then rinse with warm water.  It was like magic for me.  It left my face so baby soft the next morning and it NEVER broke me out.  

Do You Recommend:  Absolutely!

Who should use it:  dry or inflamed skin.  

starletta8

(0) Hearts

OK, this is also on my list.  I'm a loyal Aveda hair girl, so I will pick this up the next time I'm in-store!

michmo

(0) Hearts

And it is only $22, Starletta8, plus it lasted me a very long time.  

colorobsession

Just have to say, this is an awesome thread. So much helpful information in one place! Love it :-)

starletta8

I'm stunned by how much awesomeness is here in such a short time- BT never fails to impress me!

arielaaaaaaaa

Name of Mask: Apivita Express Beauty Mask with Cucumber
Price/Availability: $30, Sephora
Type: Rinse off
My skin: Severely Dry with Breakouts

My experience: Not as hydrating as over mask but it does the job. Probably won't repurchase as i have other mask i like better.

Do you recommend? Probably not. Didn't do anything amazing, or special. Maybe if you want something for travel these would work
Who should use it? Anyone with dry skin

carolang

Name of Mask: Philosophy The Microdelivery dual phase peel

Price/Availability: $69, Sephora

Type: part 1 - scrub, part 2 - activator; rinse-off

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: Part 1 is a very grainy exfoliator with very small buffing beads (think Laura Mercier and Kate Somerville). Smells like oranges. Can be very abrasive - depends on your application. Part 2 is the "activator" you pour the liquid (gel cleanser consistency) on your fingers and rub in a circular motion over the scrub and then let it sit for a few minutes. Gradually helps to fade acne scars. I use this once or twice a month as a very thorough exfoliator. NOT for sensitive skin! Quite harsh. It does suggest to not rub the exfoliator/part 1 as much though if you have sensitive skin and want to use this.

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone who is considering microdermabrasion but rather have an at home alternative. This lasts for a while too (note my usage above). I personally wouldn't recommend to use it too often and I only use it if I have taken a little mini break from retinols, etc.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Gosh, As if i didn't have enough mask in my Loves, This is one i do want!!!

cherrybombtastic

[ Edited ]

Name of Mask: Boots Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask

Price/Availability: $9 at Target

Type of Mask: Rinse-off clay mask

What Type of Skin You Have: Acne-prone skin, combination, slightly dry in the winter, really oily in the warmer months

My Experience: I literally didn't have high expectations even though I had read good reviews on the mask, but I was so surprised because it rinses off so easily and it helps with redness and breakouts without irritation. It really helps if you have dry spots overridden with acne products.

Do You Recommend? I would recommend it if you've tried clay masks with sulfur without success. I think it's good for clogged pores and acne sufferers with sensitive skin.

starletta8

Name of Mask: Shiseido White Lucent Power Brightening Mask
Price/Availability: $68, Sephora
Type: Sheet
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: This was my first experience with a one-piece sheet mask (the Benefiance is 2 pieces) and I wasn't exactly sure how to deal with it. Once I figured that out, I enjoyed the experience. I didn't think my skin was whiter per se, but it was hydrated and bordering on glowy. It brightened my skin for sure. I only received 2 sample packets, so I can't speak to long-term use.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Anyone looking for a brightening treatment

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I'm so curious now! I have a sample of it from the Promo code and am debating grabbing another soon before it runs out! 

starletta8

Name of Mask:  Lush Cosmetic Warrior
Price/Availability: In-store only
Type: Rinse-off
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: EWWWW. If you can stand the smell (garlic), it's great for breakouts. I gagged while using it, but it helped.

Do you recommend? It's been awhile, but it's worth a shot if you're plagued by breakouts.

Who should use it? Acne sufferers

Anything else? Like the others, use it quickly, call ahead and purchase the day that stores receive their stock, and hold onto those black pots. Also, this stinks. Literally.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 189 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • jennar
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carlyanne