starletta8

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

WhereYouStand

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

s562090-main-hero.jpgName of mask: Fresh Rose Face Mask (Deluxe Sample)
Type of mask: Rise-off after 5-10 Minutes
What type of skin you have: Normal to Combination
Your experience with it: refreshing, light & Airy
Do you recommend it? To whom? since it's my first mask I have ever tried I cannot quite make recommendations on it quite yet but hope to come back and edit this post once I have tried some others. 
And is there anything else a BTer should know?: it's good for hydrating & toning the skin.

prosopon

image.jpgName of mask: Boots No 7 Beautiful skin and hydration mask
Type: rinse-off (or wipe-off)
Type of skin: combination/dry
My experience: Perfect for the dry winter months.  This is very cooling and hyrdrating for dry, parched skin.  Put a layer on your skin and sit back and relax for up to 10 minutes.  Then wipe off with a towel or tissues or rinse off.  My skin afterwards felt so soft and supple.
Recommend? Yes, especially to dry skinned people out there.

prosopon

Name of mask: Murad Blackhead and pore clearing duo

Type: rinse-off (after you let it sit, then scrub a bit)

Type of skin: combination/dry

My experience: This is not meant to go all over your face, only to the spots that have blackheads. I have been applying it exclusively to my nose.  I do notice that my blackheads are not as pronounced as they were.  This will probably be something that will need to be continued on a periodic basis to maintain.  Also, the duo comes with a "sealer" that is supposed to prevent more blackheads from occuring.  

Recommend? Based on the price point and the fact that my pores seemed more visible (and there fore much bigger), I would say skip unless you have a lot of visible blackheads and small pores

cassandra333

[ Edited ]

image.jpg

Yes to cucumbers calming facial mask.   Rinse off mask.  I have super oily, acne prone skin that can get red.  This is AMAZING.  Not to be gross, but pop a zit and spot treat them with this, 30 minutes later it is nearly gone.  No joke.  Sometimes I'll take an hour nap with it on as a spot treatment.  LOVE.

linda711

(0) Hearts

Thanks Starletta8, this is fantastic!

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Awesome thread! Adding things to my loves list. 

taylorkiryluik

@lilahtov could not have put it better. I'm obsessed with masks and this is my perfect playground! Thank you @starletta8

lilahtov

Starletta, I just read through this entire thread, as, I'm on the lookout for a mask to try that I'll hopefully like on the first go. This has been sooo helpful. Thank you, everyone! Starletta...you have really taken one for the team trying all these masks, junkie or not! :smileyvery-happy:

linda711

(0) Hearts

Thanks for digging this thread up Lilahtov!  I've also read through, and now have a new list of must try's.  I'm a skin care/mask junkie, and can't wait to try some of these!

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: NUDE Miracle Mask

Price/Availability: $48, at Sephora

Type: Rinse-Off

My skin: Sensitive and prone to redness. Combination, on the dry side.

My experience: Directions say to apply to your whole face and massage for 1 minute, leave on for 5 minutes, and rinse off. There are little exfoliating beads that are very gentle, even for my sensitive skin. My skin felt softer after use, but that's about it. I was hoping this would help buff away the cluster of whiteheads on my chin, but it didn't do anything after a few weeks of biweekly usage.

Do you recommend? Yes and no. See below.

Who should use it? If you want gentle exfoliation and that's it, this is for you. The mask experience was good and it's okay for sensitive skin types. I gave the rest to my friend, and he loved how soft it made his skin.

jinxski

(0) Hearts

I love using masks! Lemme give you guys a rec for a mask I've been using for awhile now.

swfupload_425836401191757292.jpg

Name of mask: My Beauty Diary Aloe Mask
Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc): Facial Sheet Mask [They say you can rub it in, but I always rinse-off, just because I'm prone to breakouts]

Ingredients: Purified water, Propylene-Glycol, 1.3-Butylene Glycol, Hyaluronic-Acid, Algae-Yeast complex, Milk protein, Glycerine, Nanospheres, Aloe Extract, Mulberry, Albumin, Collagen, Kiwi, Bearberry, Lemon, Rosehip, L-Ascorbic acid, Bio-active Silanols, Mucopolysaccharides, Vitamin E Acetate, Squalane, Methyl Paraben, Litsea Cubeba Essential Oil, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Butyl Paraben, Ethyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Dimethicone, Tween-20, Lactamide
What type of skin you have: Acne prone; Combination skin
Your experience with it: I use this mask whenever I feel like I need some extra hydration. It's never given me a breakout and my skin always feels refreshed and more supple after I use it. It's a great mask for the winter time, especially after a long day spent out in the snow. It contains Hyaluronic Acid and a bunch of other very moisturizing ingredients. Definitely one of my favorite masks!
Do you recommend it? To whom?

I recommend it to anyone who needs a mask for unwinding, it works for all skin types, in my opinion, and it's very soothing. Especially recommended toward people with acne prone skin like myself, it's non-irritating and the benefits from this mask have really helped my skin.
And is there anything else a BTer should know?

For those of you with more sensitive skin, I recommend that you rinse the mask off after use, even if the instructions say that you should rub the essence in. The serum should have sunk in either way, so rinsing it off is fine! 

Facial sheet masks are tricky because they're supposed to be "One size fits all." Bear in mind that these masks are circular in shape and not as wide as most facial sheet masks. 

neko333

-Yes To Tomatoes Clearing Facial Mask

-Rinse off

-Combination (can be really dry in the winter but can be a little oily in summer)

-This is my favorites mask, dries up acne and helps blemishes heal faster, reduces redness (use at night can sometimes make your face look a little bit red when you scrub it off), helps with texture, and leaves face softer. I also use it as a spot treatment.

-I highly recommend this to teenagers, or anyone with any bumps (if it doesn't dry it up, it'll bring it to a head). Also good for adult women, my mother has taken a liking to it (and she doesn't like anything).

- It can give a slight tingle/burn if you exfoliate well before using it. I don't mind it, but I used my Clarisonic first and then applied it. It really didn't phase me but may bother some people. I also think it lightened a couple spots, but I don't think that is a normal occurrence. 

swfupload_7833194108042955580.jpg

NGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Kaolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Maris LimusExtract (Sea Silt Extract), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Maris Aqua(Sea Water), Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Juice, Gluconolactone, Ceteareth- 33, Sodium Ethylhexyl Sulfate, Algae Extract, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Seed Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Lactic Acid, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Citric Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Capsicum Annuum Extract, Calcium Gluconate, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate.

trucie

(0) Hearts

I have combination oily skin, I use:

- Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask 

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/images/packshot/products/large/seaweed-ionic-clay-mask_l.jpg

- Blue Corn 3 in 1 Deep Cleansing Scrub Mask

#- Tea Tree Face Mask

Click for enlarged view

All of them work wonderful, they're organic with natural ingredients. And the prices are pretty affordable because they're on sale most of the time, I get all off them at 50% off.

Honestly, I'd not spend more than $20 on masks.

PoisonLipgloss

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

-Boots Botanic Conditioning Clay Mask

-Rinse-off
-Oily, Acne prone
I do feel that the mask is clarifying and conditioning my skin. After the mask has dried, I can definitely see where oil has been pulled up from my pores and boy, is that ever satisfying.(IM SORRY FOR THE TMI IN ADVANCE) With this mask I literally see the dots, and sometimes (alarming) huge pools of oil that this mask draws out. The pores on my nose are cleaner than they have ever been as an adult, though I don't believe they are any smaller than they were. After I rinse this mask, my skin isn't sucked parching dry. My skin is left "dried" out to normal oil levels, and calmed.
 It hasn't cured my acne, nothing that rinses away will do that, but it has definitely helped. This product last forever, only con I do not like the smell but it doesn't burn. For it's price, around 8$, not bad.
I have tried the Orgins Active charcoal mask, Queen Helene mint, and The Aztec I like the Boots better

arielaaaaaaaa

Name: Origins Drink up Intensive

Price: $16-$23 on Origins.com

Type: Over night Mask

My Skin: Extremely Dry, Acne Prone

Exp: This is seriously amazing! I used it last night and my face was nicely hydrated when i woke up! This is a new favorite of mine! It's super affordable and if you have dry skin, you should really try this!

GGrace

Name of Mask: Drink Up™ Intensive
Price/Availability: $16-23 at Origins.com
Type: OverNight wake up and rinse
My Skin: Dry and Flaky

My experience: I apply it before I go to bed and wake up with glowing skin. I use it about 3 times a week and my skin has never felt better.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it?  anyone with dry skin

Anything else? It feels a little heavy at first. I also don't follow the instruction about wiping off excess, I just let it absorb in

krunce

Name of mask: Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque
Type of mask: Rinse-off. Clay-like texture.
Type of skin: Combination skin, w/ comedogenic acne and larger pores on cheeks and nose
My Experience with it:

This mask is kind of silly. It actually has no mint in it. Its ingredients are Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Glycerin, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Sulfur, Chromium Oxide Greens, Frangrance, Phenoxythanol, Methylparaben.

I have this mask because it's ridiculously cheep, but it has all of the ingredients that an acne-fighting, pore-tightening mask should have: clay (kaolin and bentonite), zinc oxide and sulfur. If you like the full experience of a mask, it smells like mint, which is scrumptious :smileyhappy:

I use this mask when my pores feel saggy or if I'm ovulating or something and my skin hates me. Otherwise, I usually don't feel the need to use it, as many of its active ingredients are drying.

Do you recommend it?: Yes, certainly.

To whom: If you're looking for a cheaper version ($5 range) of any acne mask you love, and if you're hunting for a mask to deal with regular or sudden break outs, this is for you.

Other things to know: Though they don't have this at Sephora, it's a pretty well known cult mask, and the whole Queen Helene line is really fun. You can get this pretty much anywhere.swfupload_8980622225217476296.jpg

Spyski

(0) Hearts

My mom and I love this mask for the price! I never even realized it didn't have mint in it lol

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

same lol, i love this mask as well it lasts a really long time too

krunce

Ya it's true! I don't use this regularly, but I've been on the same tube for a year now...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 189 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • jennar
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carlyanne