starletta8

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

rikkie

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

(0) Hearts

Garlic? Um, yum! I worry this might make me hungry, hahah!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: Lush Love Lettuce
Price/Availability: In-store only
Type: Rinse-off
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: This is marketed as an exfoliating seaweed mask- I agree. It's been a little while, but I did see some improvement in skin tone and it sure felt softer. I have some very sensitive areas on my face, and this didn't irritate. It hydrated while resurfacing.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Anyone looking for a soft exfoliating mask that's not too tough (read: sensitive skin)

Anything else? Like the others, use it quickly, call ahead and purchase the day that stores receive their stock, and hold onto those black pots.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: Lush Oatifix
Price/Availability: In-store only at Lush (Call ahead- see tips)
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: This was recommended to me recently as a replacement for my beloved Catastrophe Cosmetic, and it was a big giant MEH from me. It's marketed for sensitive skin, but I didn't see a big change. It's made from oatmeal and bananas, but it didn't smell super yummy. Better than nothing, but not a love from me.

Do you recommend? Not really

Who should use it? Marketed for sensitive skin

Anything else? Use it quickly- fresh face masks have about a 3 week expiration on them!  Call ahead to your local store and shop the day that they get their masks. Also- hold onto those black pots because 5 black pots = free mask.

arielaaaaaaaa

Name of Mask: Ole Henrikson Power Peel
Price/Availability: $16 for 2 treatments, $45 for 6, at Sehora
Type: 3 step, rinse off
My skin: Severely Dry with Breakouts
My experience: Okay, This is the closest thing you will find to a Professional Glycolic Peel. This is just about the most amazing thing ever. This cleans out all my pores, get rid of all the white bumps on my chin, lightens acne scars with one use, brightens my overall complexion. Only downfall, my face gets to dry and flakey, so i nice hydrating mask daily for a week after will take care of that!
Do you recommend? Oh yes, if you don't have sensitive skin.
Who should use it? anyone with congested pores, acne scars, and anyone looking for serious results!

rikkie

I have been eyeing this one up for a while! I think I will get a set before long, $16 for 2 isn't a huge investment!

carlyanne

(0) Hearts

ahh this makes me so sad because everything you're describing is what I want/need! I used this and it was awful because it was way too harsh on my skin sadly :smileysad:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

It's pretty harsh and i don't have sensitive skin. But i find a way to combat the dryness and redness it leaves because it's exactly what would happen after i got professional chemical peels done. And after a few days it leaves gorgeous skin!

carolang

Name of Mask: Proactiv

Price/Availability: $20 I think??, Proactiv kiosks or my mall has a giant proactiv dispenser - looks like you can get better deals online

Type: Rinse-off, possibly overnight (I don't recommend though)

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: Holy grail acne mask!! If your skin doesn't respond well to salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide - try sulfur. There are some sulfur masks here but I find this one to be more economical and I think when I cross checked it with Murad's it was a little more potent? This is just amazing. Keeps my skin in check like no other. I still always seem to have small bumps on my forehead (not whiteheads though) but this (along with clarisonic) have prevented the big whiteheads I was getting on my chin. LOVE IT!! I however do not recommend it as an overnight spot treatment... trying to gently remove it the next day on a whitehead has almost always resulted in the whitehead itself being ripped off (ew, sorry guys) --> future scar. Boo!

Do you recommend? Yes, for anyone who has acne and hasn't tried any sulfur-based products yet.

carolang

(0) Hearts

Oops, Proactiv refining mask!

arielaaaaaaaa

I'm going to do the Fresh Sugar scrub because it's like a mask.

Name of Mask: Fresh Sugar Scrub
Price/Availability: $55 at Sephora
Type: Rinse off
My skin: Severely dry skin with breakouts 
My experience: This is seriously amazing. The smell is so beautiful! Exfoliates well! And Hydrates! This is such a luxurious mask! But worth every Penny!
Do you recommend? Heck Yes
Who should use it? Dry skin types, anyone who needs to exfoliate, not sure how it would work with oily skin types.

carolang

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: Lush Cupcake

Price/Availability: $6.95, in store at Lush only

My skin: combo-extremely oily t-zone, combo part of skin can get very dry and flaky from retinols etc, some redness

My experience: Eh. Not my favorite. Messy. Short shelf life (due to fresh ingredients). Sort of smells like chocolate? Very pasty. Did not help my oil control nearly as well as Origins Charcoal mask.

Do you recommend? No. If you want to try a Lush fresh face mask for the first time and you have acne prone skin - sure, try it. I did not find it very effective though and being pasty, application is a little tough - I'd have little chunks flake off as I tried to smooth it over my face.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Interesting, since I adore this one (see review below).  Of course, I wasn't looking for it to be a substitute for the Origins- which is probably why it works well for me.

carolang

(0) Hearts

I definitely went in comparing its oil control abilities to Origins. While it doesn't stack up to it (and hence isn't worth it to me) it is a funexperience so I think people should check it out if they are new to Lush masks. I am interested in trying the Love Lettuce mask - not sure about any other Lush masks, though. This one just might be a little gentle for me - my skin oxidizes and breaks down Lancôme Tient Idole 

arielaaaaaaaa

Isn't it such a pain to get on Beauty Talk on the IPad. I have the hardest time. 

carolang

(0) Hearts

Ultra 24 hour in less than 4 hours :smileysad: (sorry iPad is wonky and won't let me edit/keep typing after I try to erase a few words and I'd already attempted typing that a few times!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Ah, that helps a lot- I can't use the Origins mask all-over (or the Murad) because my skin is so sensitive.

See, this is why this thread is already awesome- there is so much good info here!

carolang

(0) Hearts

Oh yeah - these go on my entire face! Haha

carolang

Name of Mask: Ren Gylcol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask

Price/Availability: $55, Sephora

My experience: I got three samples of this when I broke up a few orders a while back. Surprisingly I am on my second mini bottle and each bottle has gotten at least 3-4 masks. As for the mask... its alright. Smells like oranges. I have a full size Ole Henriksen blue/black berry enzyme mask so I don't really need 2 exfoliating masks so due to the price I probably won't invest in the full size. I don't notice any huge noticeable differences with this one and it's not quite as enjoyable for me to wear as the blue/black berry (lavender scented) mask.

Do you recommend? No, there are cheaper exfoliating/resurfacing masks out there that work just as good or better.

starryeyes331

(0) Hearts

I actually really liked this mask. I have extremely oily skin, and I've found it works best when I use it w/in a few days of using a clarifying mask.

arielaaaaaaaa

I'm going to agree on this. I got 3 samples of it as well Lol. I i'm not seeing what is so wonderful about it. I like the smell! But i don't see any benefits. Maybe it helps brighten...

rikkie

Thirded! I got three of these too, oddly enough, and while it smells nice it is pretty meh in the enzyme mask benefits department. It's gentle, but maybe so gentle it's not really doing anything!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 189 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • jennar
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carlyanne