starletta8

Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

Hey ladies-

After starting yet another mask trying spree, it occurred to me that it might be a great idea to have one thread with our common knowledge of various masks in one place- a BT guide to masks if you'd like.  We have the swatch board for makeup, but nothing like that for skincare.

If you submit a mask, please include the following:

• Name of mask
  • Type of mask (rinse-off, peel-off, etc)
  • What type of skin you have
  • Your experience with it
  • Do you recommend it? To whom?
  • And is there anything else a BTer should know?

I'll get started here in a minute...

rikkie

Re: Masks, Masks Everywhere- Share Your Experiences Here

(0) Hearts

What hurt so much?? I've never had a problem at all. It comes off in one piece and peels satisfyingly! My eyes usually water and get red pretty easily, but I've never noticed any problems with the black mask or any... fumes? I don't know?

It sounds like it was just a terrible experience all around for you :smileysad: I like this mask a lot, so it's really weird.

starletta8

Name of Mask: Boscia Luminizing Black Mask
Price/Availability: $34, Sephora
Type: Peel-off (my fave!  Of course, I was that kid in elementary school who loved putting glue on her skin to pick it off later)
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: I received a sample- and this is the mask that inspired this thread (see the anything else). One sample packet makes a very full mask.  A major warning: this one made my eyes water like crazy, and I avoided the eye area very carefully.  (I don't want black junk near my eyes!) I had a really hard time with removal, but that could've been user error in application. My skin was soft, but really red and irritated from removal.

Do you recommend? Not to anyone with sensitive skin.

Who should use it? Not sure, to be honest. Hopefully others have experience with this one.

Anything else? Be forewarned, BLACK means BLACK. I had to scramble for contacts because there wasn't going to be a way to wear glasses while it dried. I figured black meant grey- ha!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Oh man, this is the one I was excited to try but I break out very easily and very badly, so I might steer clear...

starletta8

As a follow-up.... THIS BROKE ME OUT! Ugh!

Very upset to see 4 spots on my face this morning.

starletta8

OMG it's just getting worse.  I've got cystic acne on my CHEEKS. Granted, it's the right hormonal time for that, but I haven't had acne on my cheeks since I was 13 or 14. I have the usual hormonal spot by my mouth and on my chin. But seriously.... these suckers are DEEP.

The Boscia mask really messed my skin up!

voxover

D: Oh noooo! Try a sample of Peter Thomas Roth's Therapeutic Sulfur Mask on those cysts. It's been a godsend for quickly drawing out my cystic acne/deep whiteheads.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Perhaps it's the purging period you're going though? That really stinks! I'm always scared of trying new products at first just because of my acne-prone skin. I feel for ya!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

It's crushing because I'm a grown adult with excellent skin (aside from my 1 or 2 hormonal zits each month, which I'm happy to welcome at this point in my life...).  I don't break out!

That's why this is so mystifying.  The one actually throbs!  I'm throwing everything I can think of at it to try to coax it out sooner rather than later.  If it keeps blowing up, I don't know what I'll do!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Has it gotten any better now that it's been a couple days or still getting worse? I wish I could help more :/

arielaaaaaaaa

Name of Mask: Soap and Glory The Fab Pore Facial Peel
Price/Availability: $25, Sephora
Type: Rinse-off
My skin: Severely Dry with Breakouts

My experience: This isn't an intense mask but i do feel my pores cleared out alittle after using this. It helps my pimples go down a bit as well. Not overly drying on my face.

Do you recommend? It's not the best mask it's just okay, i wouldn't repurchase but i would recommend to give it a try. 

Who should use it? Anyone with breakouts, oily skin. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I love this Starletta! I have a few to do here! I'm start with...

Name of Mask: Fresh Rose Face Mask

Price/Availability: $55, at Sephora
My skin: Severely Dry and breakouts

My experience: Love this. You need only a thin layer all over, hydrates well, leaving your face so soft. Calms my skin after using a more aggressive exfoliator or acne mask. 

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Anyone with Dry Skin, sensitive skin, who needs something to soothe and hydrate!

rikkie

So hydrating, and hydrates my oily skin in a lovely, non-heavy, non-greasy way. Looks gross but ignore that -- it's not brown when you spread it out! Love!

starletta8

Name of Mask: Lush Catastrophe Cosmetic
Price/Availability: In-store @ Lush, it's been so long since I had to pay (see final note) that I forget
My skin: Sensitive with some redness in my cheeks, tendency towards oil in T-Zone

My experience: Heaven in a mask. Full of antioxidants (blueberries), this is a soothing mask that will get my face back in shape after it's been dried out, burned, or abused in some other way. It quietly does its job while smelling yummy.

Do you recommend? Yes, it's one of my favorites

Who should use it? Sensitive or inflamed skin

Anything else? All of Lush's fresh face masks are perishable, so make sure to buy as close to the day that the store received it (call ahead!) and keep them in the fridge! Also- they have a pot trade-in (similar to Back 2 MAC), so keep those black pots. 5= free mask

starletta8

Name of Mask: Murad Clarifying Mask
Price/Availability: $37, Sephora

My experience: I only use this sparingly and have only used it as a true mask in my T-Zone because it's very effective. It would strip the moisture from the balanced areas of my face. However, it's an incredible spot treatment as well and part of my acne-fighting process when I do get spots.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Oily skin, works amazingly as a spot treatment. Not for sensitive or dry skin!

starletta8

This is very drying, for the record.

arielaaaaaaaa

Yes it is. Better for a spot treatment! But i like to use it all over when my face is just acting up! But it needs to be followed with a moisturizing mask if your have dry skin.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I'm going to do these 2 together:

Name of Masks: Shiseido Benefiance Pure Retinol Intensive Revitalizing Face Mask/ Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask

Price/Availability: Both $62.50 each and available from Sephora

Type: Sheet

My experience: I've tried both of these, and if money were unlimited, I'd keep an unlimited supply of both around. Like any other retinol treatment, I saw a huge improvement in my skin that lasted for a day or so.  The eye masks are a full night's sleep in 30 minutes- so soothing, and so revitalizing.

Do you recommend? YES! Especially the eye masks

Who should use it? Anyone in need of retinol or before a big event.  Provided that they were tested prior, I'd see these being really useful to a bride!

Anything else? Pro tip: If you're super careful with the eye masks, there's enough liquid in there for 2 uses. Make sure to seal and refrigerate overnight.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Currently rocking out one of the eye treatment masks as I type since I got a power nap instead of a full night's sleep.

Seriously, power retinol = looking like I've slept for 12 hours and been to a spa. I will probably break down and buy the eye masks once my samples run out. (I've stashed a box's worth of samples)

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Name of Mask: Shiseido Benefiance Firming Massage Mask

Price/Availability: $48, from other Shiseido retailers, sadly not at Sephora

Type: Rinse-Off

My experience: This is the second mask (the other- Glamglow Supermud) in my regular skincare rotation, so I like it a lot.  I'm admittedly a Shiseido girl, so I was naturally inclined to like it.  This mask is different than most in that there are a series of facial massages that you're to perform when you apply the mask in order to increase blood flow. I'm not sure how much that adds, but it feels luxurious and feels nice.  I use this twice a week. It's a partially clear gel with some "beads" suspended in it.  It feels nice, tingles a bit, and my skin glows after I wash it off.  Over time, I've seen my skin improve a bit, but it's not a miracle worker.  I do like it, though.

Do you recommend? Yes

Who should use it? Benefiance is targeted towards anti-aging, so I'd recommend this to 30+s.

starletta8

Name of Mask: GLAMGLOW Youthmud

Price/Availability: $19-$69, available at Sephora

My experience: Wow, does this one burn more than its pore-cleansing sister.  This one is meant to exfoliate- and it does so. It left my skin really soft and resurfaced- but I was very nervous due to the burn.  I almost didn't tough it out the first time I tried it. I don't know if I'll repurchase after getting the smaller version since the other mask is a staple in my routine now. It's nice for an occasional treat, but my skin couldn't handle it frequently.

Do you recommend? Yes, but not to those with sensitive skin or congested skin. 

Who should use it? Anyone needing a nice exfoliation.

Anything else? I saw results- but you don't need both this and the Supermud.  Pick one or the other.

rikkie

I loved this one! I thought it tingled without burning and I enjoyed taking a loooong time scrubbing it off and giving my skin the most thorough scrubby exfoliation it has ever had. It left my skin smelling yummy and feeling SO SOFT, though the chunks of tea leaves looked kind of weird/out of place in the mask.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 171 replies
  • 186 hearts
  • 37 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • jennar
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carlyanne