cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Is rubbing alcohol bad for your skin?

I've been trying to figure out if Rubbing Alcohol is bad for your skin because I've used it to clean my face and all it does is dry it out- which isn't necessary a bad thing because I have acne-prone skin but it does nothing but clean my face although that's also not a bad thing. I was just wondering because I've used it forever but nothing's bad has ever happened. Just wondering if it can damage your skin or something.

Any advice???

XOXO,

Z

Re: Is rubbing alcohol bad for your skin?

This won't be the most detailed answer but at the most basic level, alcohol in skincare usually dries out your skin. I haven't done too much research, but I definitely notice an improvement in my skin when I'm using alcohol free products. It's a bigger issue if you have dry skin.

The best tip is to use an alcohol free toner. This is because toners are almost water-like (most of the time) and alcohol-free toners are lot more gentle on the skin. I switched from the Clinique toning lotion 2 to the Shiseido balancing softener and honestly, it was a great idea. 

Rubbing alcohol, along with other forms of drying alcohols (ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol), can be very harsh for the skin.

While there are instances where drying forms of alcohol are used in skin care/beauty products, this is to aid the dry-down time of the actual product/formula itself to cut down on the product possibly leaving any sort of film or stickiness/tackiness on skin. In the long haul, drying alcohols can dehydrate skin, leading to skin becoming severely dried out or even overcompensating in the oil department to try and quickly replace what is lost. Either way, this can create a new onslaught of issues with having to find a richer moisturizer or suddenly trying to tackle more oil than what you started with. While effects may not immediately take place, issues can arise later in life when you may not expect it and it's no fun to deal with unexpected bumps in the road in the future when you can stop them from happening in the present.

In terms of cleansing, please be sure you're utilizing a cleanser that is best suited for your skin type and concerns. Massage the product onto skin for at least 45 seconds to a minute (even longer if you're using the cleanser to break down makeup) before rinsing. 

If needed, follow with a gentle face toner or facial mist with balancing and conditioning properties. If you're looking for a purifying component for oil, try witch hazel. Witch hazel is a natural astringent that constricts cellular tissue to make pores appear more refined in their size and texture. The constriction also aids in controlling the pace of oil release to the surface of skin. 

Algenist and Murad make two alcohol-free formulas that utilize witch hazel as well as a slew of conditioning and soothing properties to help balance skin. 

If you find a toner that contains a drying form of alcohol, it may ultimately boil down to personal preference as to whether or not you wish to opt for it. Some folks will avoid items with any form of drying alcohol while others may consider them for use as long as the whole of its ingredient listing/formula is fortified with enough good ingredients to counteract what drying properties the harsh alcohol may have. Either way, be sure the rest of your skin care items are not too harsh for skin and work cohesively to support skin care goals and improvements.

Alcohol breaks down your skin barrier over time..  it helps ingredient absorb by doing so but is pretty terrible in the long run as you're essentially damaging your skin So that they can penetrate.  

For occasional disinfecting it's perfectly fine. 

@Anonymous Alcohol is awful for skin. You may not see the consequences immediately, but long term use can be very damaging. 

From Paula's Choice:

"Alcohol harms your skin’s protective surface, depletes vital substances needed for healthy skin, and makes oily skin worse. To put it simply, it’s pro-aging."

Statements are on point.  Seen someone use this on their face over the years and now the damage is starting to show in their 50's.  Big no to alcohol on the face please.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing