Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

How often should you exfoliate, peel, do microdermabrasion, and do masks? How much is too much? Do you have a skincare schedule?

Re: How often should you exfoliate, peel, do microdermabrasion, and do masks? How much is too much? Do you have a skincare schedule?

Exfoliate/peel/microdermabrasion are kind of the same category. I assume you meant how to fit that with masks in your skincare schedule.

In general you should exfoliate or mask 2-3 times a week. I have combination skin and what I usually do is exfoliate/peel 2-3 times a week after cleansing, then if my skin feels dry/sensitive I will use a hydrating mask, if not then a clay/charcoal/mud mask. After rinsing off the mask, then the regular toner, essence, serum, creams etc.

Re: How often should you exfoliate, peel, do microdermabrasion, and do masks? How much is too much? Do you have a skincare schedule?

I think frequency depends on your skin type and how well it tolerates it. I'd say exfoliation/peels/derma are all similarly harsh, so start with once a week. You can increase frequency, but if your skin starts to feel raw, break out, react etc, then you're prob doing it too frequently. 

Same goes for masks. 

I try to exfoliate everyday. I like to use Clinique Exfoliating scrub. Its gentle and doesn't bother my skin. 

@mimilaruI recommend reading Paula Begoun's "Beauty Bible" for information on the frequency of microdermabrasion, masks and peels; I think less is more with those.  As for exfoliation, I think it's more of what your skin needs/can tolerate.  I use a chemical exfoliation of BHA 9% everyday and have no problems, and I can tolerate mechanical exfoliation every day as well (when I find the time).  If you are looking for really good mechanical exfoliation, I recommend Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash (it isn't a good cleanser, though).  Neutrogena has good gentle exfoliators.

I'm trying to get things down to a schedule, but then life happens. 

I try to use a strongish peel twice a week (usually Exuviance 25AP) or a lighter peel (Herbivore's Blue Tansy or Juice's Green Apple) four or five times a week.

I really injured my face with microdermabrasion, so I avoid that like the plague. I do not have the skills.

Given the time, I mask daily and sometimes more than that on the weekends.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing