daisydaisies

How often do you switch up your skincare products?

A few years ago I finally settled on a skincare brand - I liked the philosophy of the line (in terms environmental friendliness, etc), the products were fun to use, smelled great, and they worked well. I didn't have any luck with them re: sunscreen (it broke me out) and an acne spot-treatment, but other than that, I used the same line exclusively.

...but lately it's almost as if I've become bored with these products. I keep wanting to try different things. I feel like a skincare butterfly or something. And it's not really for any specific skincare reason (I haven't had any skin changes or anything). Right now I have products from 4 different companies that I'm trying out (and I'm about to try one more) - two new moisturisers, a new serum, a new eye cream, along with my regular cleanser and toner. I'm not sure if I'll settle on a new line, or play for a while and then go back to my old, tried-and-true brand.

Anyway, I'm wondering how other people think about their skincare routines. Do you stick with one line for almost everything? Mix and match? Switch it all up regularly? Are there products you would never change? (In my case, I love my toner and don't think I'll ever change it).

theramenlover

Re: How often do you switch up your skincare products?

(0) Hearts

I switch up my routine based upon whatever it is that my skin currently needs! I definitely have a different routine for every season but I also have different products that I'll add to my routine if I need extra moisture or if it's acting up a bit more than usual. 

I think it's important to listen to what your skin needs, so if it's too tight/flaky then I'll do a mask, etc. Keep in mind though, don't switch around too often as in don't use a new cleanser for three days and switch to yet another new one as your skin will work best with a steady routine of 6 weeks! So if you do switch to a new product, try it for more than just a week! 

Otherwise, I'm a skincare addict and I'm constantly buying/trying new products! I do favor a few brands in particular (AmorePacific, Ren, Caudalie, and Clarins) but I'm always open to trying new things :smileywink: 

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I've never really done things differently in a season - except for using a heavier moisturizer in the winter. Thanks for the advice re: trying things out for a while.

Ren is one of the brands I'm really interested in trying. I have a few products on my 'to buy' list later this month. Do you use the Glycolic Mask? It interests me!

theramenlover

I've used the Ren Glycolic Mask but it hasn't really done much for me, nothing as noticeable as everyone else seems to say! My opinion is that if you regularly exfoliate and do masks already, it's not going to be as groundbreaking as expected. 

I use the AmorePacific Enzyme Peel which is a really gentle and can be used more than once a week, and I also use Exfolikate! If you're really looking into trying something, the Glam Glow masks are pretty amazing even though they're super $$$. I also use the Clarins Brightening Renewing Peel. That one is more like a toner that exfoliates your skin as well :smileyvery-happy: 

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank you for these recs! I do regularly exfoliate and my skin is generally in pretty good condition (except for some periodic acne). I want to find a regular mask, though (I have a few I try here and there, but my favourite one I can't get anymore). I have heard good things about the Glam Glow masks, so maybe I just should just take a leap and try them...

carolang

(0) Hearts

Ive used that mask. I like it, but it's pricey. I'd recommend the OH Blue/Black berry mask instead. Exfoliates and hydrates. Smells like lavender... Very aroma therapeutic!

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the rec! I'll check it out :smileyhappy:

JaneTurner920

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

All the time, you need to continuously switch up your products so that you know what is best for your skin. Right now I am using the skin care program</a> which I found at GlamThread here  I read some great reviews on it and purchased it and started religiously following it. Nothing ever has improved my skin this much.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I'll check that out. Thank you!

Corrina777

(0) Hearts

I actually used essentially the same routine (Clinique 3-step) for over 20 years.  Only switched recently and after having skin sensitivity issues I see myself pretty much sticking with with what I'm using now for as long as possible- basically until I feel like it's not meeting my needs anymore.  The sensitivity issues also make me a huge coward about mixing and matching product lines, but I'm trying to work on that a little because I'm still looking for a good anti-aging product that's light enough for my combo/oily skin.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I don't have sensitive skin except for my lips. I'm a coward about trying out any kind of new lipstick or lip product because the reactions can be so annoying. I used to love Clinique lipsticks, but I can't use them any more after developing a sensitivity. I'm glad you found a new routine you like!

syritt

(0) Hearts

I tend to switch things up more often than I want to. I love samples for that reason. I'll buy something I love, and then they go and change the formula or something and then I have to switch. I have high hopes for this next round of samples. Hehe

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

So annoying when formulas change! I've also been frustrated when a product I really like gets discontinued.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Every month, as often as every single week. I'm a VIB Rouge, but my boyfriend ALSO spends that much on skincare products every year. We're both beauty addicts! I like to grab new products to try, samples of face creams, lotions, masks, whatever!

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have favourites?

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I mix & match & change product depending on the season & what my skin is doing. 

I'm skincare junkie & always looking for the next best thing. :smileytongue: 

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I like that you listen to the seasons and to your skin!

ChicDabbler

I have the "grass is greener on the other side" symptom where I'm always looking for something better. After trying about a hundred skincare products, I've finally started to have favorites and start forming a regimen. Right now I focus on finishing up my 60+ mini/deluxe skincare products, after which I will stick to what works for me (with minor/very little experimentation instead of hoarding skincare like crazy, which is what I was doing).

Oh, I switch it up every week or at most every month depending on when I finish my mini/deluxe sample skincare.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

I think I'm having some of that 'grass is greener' feeling these days! I'm enjoying the experimentation, but I haven't really found anything I love yet.

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

Once I find a routine that works, I try not to switch things up. I use almost all of Kate Somerville's Acne products.

daisydaisies

(0) Hearts

Did it take you a while to find the right routine?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • theramenlover
    • dianabt
    • lilyyy
    • pinktorridora