knadala

HELP! My skin is bumming me out...

I need some product recommendations for any and all makeup and beauty related items which will help me fix my issues.

My pores are constantly getting clogged; I don't necessarily have blackheads, they are little whiteheads and sometimes the bumps are just skin with no visible black or white head.

My chin and the area's around my hairline seem to develop mini pimples in little clusters.

My nose and under eye area are dry and the rest of my face is an oil slick.

I have tried mattifying powders and primers and sprays, but I can't seem to make a dent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smileyhappy:

dimour

Re: HELP! My skin is bumming me out...

I have blackheads and whiteheads and have since I was 16 (10yrs now). Here is the thing about blackheads and what my esthetician told me, your pores are always open and so excess oil, skin and dirt will get trapped in there. Pores do not permanently close or shrink, its just a fact of life. Do not, no matter how tempting, do not over exfoliate. To do so will only irritate your skin. Exfoliating is only going to get rid of excess dead skin. Start out 2x a week and see how it goes. Secondly, salicylic acid will help get in there and clean out the pores. If you need something stronger, you can use a glycolic or AHA. It will also help get rid of some dead skin. As fore whiteheads, those are hard sebum ( the natural oil your skin produces to keep from drying out ) that is trapped inside of a closed pore. These are the hardest to get rid of. What I do it go and get an extraction every two weeks. I go to ULTA. I realize that it is expensive to do it as much as I do but to do it yourself will most likely result in skin damage and I speak for experience. The other thing that helps it to get something like the Foreo Luna. It uses pulse vibrations that will loosen and help remove the whiteheads and blackheads. It is expensive but unlike a Clarisonic you don't have to buy replacement heads. It is definitely and investment. I recommend washing you face morning and night. Changing your pillow case at least once a week to prevent build up. for the dry areas I recommend Argan oil or a heavier moisturizer just for your nose and eye area. It is important to use an oil free moisturizer on the rest of your face. Even though you are oily, it will teach your skin that it doesn't need to produce so much oil and should help. Just remember that your pores are always open, it is how your skin breaths and gets oxygen. Getting rid of blackheads completely will be something that you are always going to have to stay on top of. Keep your skin as clean as you can, don't leave makeup on all day and night if you can help it. Oh, and as for your hair line, I get that too but mine is from wearing hats. If you also wear hats, clean the inside brim with an antibacterial soap and a sponge. Most of all be gentle with your skin. If it is irritated it will react by producing more oil and sebum resulting in clogged pores. Hope this helps.

hydee77

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant has done wonders for my clogged pores (varies from blackheads to white bumps) and also helps to even out my skintone as well.

KDP28

Knadala,

sounds like we have a similar skin type!  Like I have seen others suggest, I have to say the Clarisonic (mia 2) is awesome! I purchased it months ago and my face cleared up…then I stopped using it and I could tell a difference, so I'm back to using it! I also just switched to using mainly Boscia products (they have a kit out, Bright Stars, that's what I got) and really like them, so that's something to consider.  I also use my Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment mask as a spot treatment, I see a difference in just 2 days of doing this.

My favorite Boscia products I'm using are the Enlivening Amino-AG Eye treatment and Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil.  The Purifying Cleansing Gel is the cleanser I use with my Clarisonic.

A little tip that may help with around the hairline is washing your face LAST in the shower, I find that this helps me out.

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

knadala

I have considered buying the Clarisonic for a while now, I was just hesitant because of the price. But if this keeps up, I will just make the splurge. Thanks for the advice :smileyhappy:

anaa

Have you considered using a Clarisonic Mia?  I used to have the same type of issues, and have experienced a dramatic improvement since using it.  Also, have you tried products containing glycolic acid?  I wouldn't recommend the powders, primers etc. if you're having issues with clogged pores, they could be making things worse.

roxystar4

Ive noticed for me, certain haircare products can cause acne around my hairline. If I haven't sanitized my phone in a while, I notice more acne around my chin (esp on my right side where I hold my phone). 

I have combination skin and I use the proactive repairing treatment cream (at night only). If I use the toner and cream more than a few times a week my skin gets really dry and then over compensates by making more oil. Maybe cut back on the proactiv and try a gentler/milder cream in the morning and no toner? Ive been enjoying Murad Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30 in the mornings. Every other night I use the proactive cream. for a night cream I rotate between a few that are moisturizing and soothing. Hope this helps

knadala

Oooh I like the idea of sanitizing my phone, that totally makes sense because I am constantly tapping on the screen and then sticking it to the side of my face LOL, awesome tip! :smileyhappy:

I will keep exploring product combo's to see what works for me, MURAD doesn't seem to do anything for my particular problem and skin type.

Urbie

Hey knadala, 

From looking at your list of products that you use, have you considered trying a different acne system than proactiv?  I personally found that it did not do much for my skin, and it didn't help my fiance much either- they can be pretty intense/drying, and it is possible that you skin is creating more oil to try and "balance out" the harsh products.  Just a thought!

Murad and Kate Somerville both sell kits with smaller sized products to try out (actually, murad offers a subscription system similar to proactiv, just google "Murad TV offer", as it is kind of hidden on their website. Also, definitely steer clear of St. Ives Scrub.  Although pricier, a good quality exfoliator will not tear at your skin like the St Ives.

I think it is a good idea to make sure that you are eating right and drinking lots of water, especially if you are stressed out.  Another big factor is sleep- make sure you have a sleep schedule with at least 7 hrs of sleep, and stick to it.  A few years ago, I was working from 2am-6am, so I was shift sleeping 4 hours before and 4 hours after, and it really destroyed my skin, in addition to making me depressed and miserable!

knadala

Thanks for the suggestions :smileyhappy:

I used to use Neutrogena and Clean and clear, but they were no good for me either. I will definitely go to glam glow's website and get those sample packs.

I'll adjust my sleep, water consumption, and nutrition before I freak out and see if it helps with my skin. I have heard great things about Kate Somerville so I will give that a try next.

Urbie

Good luck!  Stress really can mess up your body, so I hope you are able to find some time/ways to relax :smileyhappy:

8TeenQueen

I use Origins Charcoal Mask.

I'm a mask fanatic, and I only use a few.

The Charcoal Mask from Origins in one of my saviors.

It always cleans my face, and makes it feel soft and fresh.

Charcoal is used to pull out any toxins, because it is so lightweight.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

knadala

(0) Hearts

I have some charcoal infused products from Boscia and Origins, they don't seem to be doing much for me with the little bumps, but they definitely clear the oil for the whole day.

I think I need to drink more water for starters.Maybe finding a way to lessen my stress levels would help too.

btmod2

(0) Hearts

Hi knadala,

I recommend trying Glamglow's Supermud Clearing Treatment. It is one of the best masks that I have tried. It really helps control my oily skin and has helped with my clogged pores. I like to use it about two times a week. This mask is a clay-based mask that really helps unclog pores. After I remove the mask, I see an immediate difference in the clarity of my skin. Be sure to use it on freshly cleansed skin for the best results. :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

knadala

Thanks Randee! I got a deluxe sample of the Glamglow in the black colored packaging and I have just started using it. 

The price on glamglow is a little steep, is there a travel size available for purchase somewhere? I wanted to test it before committing to the full size.

Urbie

knadala, you can purchase a sample pack directly from glam glow's website- it has two foil packets each of the super mud, tingle mud, and eye treatment for about $12.

btmod2

(0) Hearts

Hi knadala, 

There isn't a small size of the Supermud Clearing Treatment available. A sample size of the Youthmud Tingleexfoliate Treatment is available at many of our stores though and it is also an incredibly effective mask! :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

knadala

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

lylysa

What products for your skin care and beauty regimen are you using? Have you noticed the issue of clogged pores and the clusters of break outs occurring as a result of perhaps a change in diet, lifestyle, or product used?

knadala

(0) Hearts

I have used Proactiv, Origins, Boscia, and Fresh (masks, moisturizers, facewashes).

If anything, I have started working out regularly 2-3 times a week. I have also been eating a little healthier and cutting out soda and cookies.

But I have been having very high levels of stress in the past 4 months...maybe thats the cause...not sure a beauty product can fix that :smileysad:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

What does your current skin and beauty regimen consist of? Which products specifically from those brands you listed above have you tried? What were your results with them (be they postive or negative) and for how long did you use them for?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • dimour
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4