removingpads

Good acne regime, but now I am getting burned!

(0) Hearts

I have adult acne. Best control is with benzoyl peroxide products. Second best, with salicylic acid. However, these products make my skin so sensitive to the sun. I live in So. Cal. Summer is coming. I need to change my regimen !

Any suggestions?

krunce

Re: Good acne regime, but now I am getting burned!

(0) Hearts

Just to ratify what everyone else has been saying, you need to add a cream with sunscreen in it to your regimen.

I had a lot of fun playing around with Sephora's amazing Skincare > Sunscreen search today. Depending on your preferences, you can try to find a sunscreen powder, so it goes over and doesn't disturb your make up, if you wear it. Or a serum, if you want to wear it between your normal face cream and make up. Or just a regular old cream! So you have plenty of options. 

But I just looked it up online and the Mayoclinic, and Livestrong.com don't differentiate between whether salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide make your skin more sensitive to the sun, but recommend wearing sunscreen over them if you're going to be outside.

DTalksAll

I like the PTR retinol fusion AM it has SPF 30. http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-am-moisturizer-spf-30-P266132?skuId=1272814

He also has a powder brush that it translucent, won't disrupt makeup, and is perfect for reapplying. 

http://www.sephora.com/oily-problem-skin-instant-mineral-powder-spf-30-P235909?skuId=1165844

krunce

(0) Hearts

I love the PTR retinol fusion AM also but the reason it has an SPF in it is because retinol is up there on the list of things that make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so this might not work as well  over other products that also make skin sensitive to the sunk, as a regular cream with SPF in it.

babybear04

Hi there!

I apologize in advance if this a dumb question, but are you following your acne treatment with a moisturizer and SPF? If not, I highly recommend you do so.  A lot of moisturizers and powders/foundations have SPF built into them, so that's an easy way to add sun protection into your normal routine.  If you're already doing this, then again I apologize for the dumb question.  But you can never be too sure! :smileyhappy:

So in the case that you are already using a sunscreen and it's not quite cutting it, I recommend that you only use your acne treatments at night, or try only applying them every other day at night.  This should help minimize your chances for sun sensitivity for the day.

Also, if Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid treatments appear to be too harsh for your skin, another option would be Tea Tree Oil if you haven't tried it already.  It'sa more natural remedy that takes slightly longer than Benzoyl Peroxide to work. As with all other acne products, you must must must moisturize following application of tea tree oil as it can be just as drying.  

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • removingpads
    • babybear04
    • krunce