DTalksAll

Do you "pre-cleanse"?

In one of my Sample Society boxes I got a deluxe size sample of the dermalogica pre-cleaning oil and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I recently switched to the Ren Calm 3 Clay Cleanser (which is AWESOME), but it doesn't remove makeup well. I was using the Koh Gen Do spa water on a cotton pad to remove my face makeup but I was going through the bottle quickly & needed another option. 

I'm not a huge fan of face oils to begin with, Argan oil gave me a very bad reaction, so I was a little skeptical with the dermalogica. You apply it dry, then add a little water, massage & wash off. I felt like I couldn't wash it off, that the oil just sat on my face. Then I used the Ren Calm 3 with my clarisonic, rinsed & still felt the oil sitting on my face. I did end up using less of the Perricone Blue Plasma on my face (1 drop instead of 2) but it never seemed to "sink in" like it normally does. I waited 5 minutes instead of 2 to put on moisturizer & still felt a little "sticky". That's when I noticed the difference , my face was soft... like baby bottom soft & it still is. No greasy or tight feeling... nope, not here! So I can't figure out if I like it or not. I probably won't purchase it, but I am eyeing the REN balm http://www.sephora.com/no-1-purity-cleansing-balm-P306884?skuId=1186949 

swfupload_6572126878740084046.jpg

I also was looking at the Korres emulsion, but think it might be too similar to the dermalogica. 

I guess I could always use a different mild cleanser, like the PTR gentle foaming that Sephora decided to stop carrying *cough cough*. I'm against makeup remover wipes; they are too harsh & drying. I tried Philosophy purity years ago, but was using it as just a cleanser, I never followed it with a better cleanser. 

Enough rambling... Do you pre-cleanse & what do you use/ have used? 

bearsmom

Re: Do you "pre-cleanse"?

Nope, I don't pre-cleanse, seems kinda silly to me.  I use eye makeup remover and rub the remaining remover over around my the center of my face where my makeup is heaviest.  I wash with Philosophy's Purity Made Simple, follow w a mask/peel/facial a few times each week, and follow that with Bliss Steep Clean pads.  Then of course treatment and moisture.  I consider that, my night time routine, as makeup/oil/dirt removing with heavy moisture, then my morning routine, which starts with Philosophy Microdelivery scrub, is more of a deeper clean/exfoliation/lighter moisture routine.  I am interested in the pre-cleanse idea because it means I can buy and use more products (lol) but it does seem kinda silly to me.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Oh gosh, I looove Koh Gen Do water. That and Caudalie elixir are on the list of expensive splurges that I'm waiting to get with the % or $$ off in the fall cuz otherwise the price makes my wallet cry.

Actually if it's not a lot of make up, or just eye make up, I use the eye make up remover to take off the eye make up, then do a swipe on rest of the face before cleansing. If it is a full face of make up (pre-cleanse) or I'm going to use some harsh peel/treatment, then oil cleanser it is. 

Right now I'm just using the gentler ones of my 10+ cleansers as pre-cleanse, but usually cleansing water or Clinique purple makeup remover are what I use.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I picked up the tiny Sephora Cleansing Water today & I hate it. Don't even waste your money on the cheaper version of Koh Gen Do! It feels more like a harsh toner than a cleansing water. It doesn't have that refreshing, hydration, clean feeling the Koh Gen Do leaves. 

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Oh noes! I did too but I haven't tried it, and now I can't find it. Darn it! I better try it soon and return or figure out what to do with it.

Yeah, previously I was using Caudalie cleansing water, which was definitely too moisturizing for me and I have to wash it off, but I can actually get away with no rinse/no moisturize/just a swipe with KGD at night if I'm busy. Right now I'm rationing my half bottle for removing makeup from waterline.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I remember seeing you say you had the Sephora water. I bought the teeny tiny one in store, I'll probably keep using it either in my travel bag, or instead of wipes when playing with makeup.

Who knows, you might like... I wasn't a fan. I got it at a re-opening & tried a bunch of items & got a few samples because all the testers were brand new. Off all the creams/gels/foundations... I tried on my poor hands I didn't think to test out the water. Oh well... lesson learned  

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I know this is just my opinion but I can't comprehend pre-cleansing and I wear makeup a full face everyday. I do use a makeup remover to remove my eye makeup but I only use one cleanser to me if your cleanser is doing the job it's supposed to you don't need any thing else. Like I said just my opinion and I know every one is different.:smileyhappy:

aviscardi

I would consider your makeup remover  to be pre-cleansing. at least thats how i do, i remove it with eye remover and makeup towelettes. wash with clarisonic and then tone. Before i was using clarisonic it was just remover cloths, i would wash my face twice.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Exactly. I don't like wipes & hate to waste so much spa water on my face. My cleanser is a clay treatment cleanser, it's not meant to remove makeup, it's more like a mask/cleanser. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

& I'm pretty sure the Dermalogica broke me out. I didn't get the red patches I normally get from Argan oil, but I am covered in pimples where I don't normally get them (Forehead tons of tiny pimples, some under my nose, and close to the milia on my cheeks) Very frustrating... is it all oil based products that my skin doesn't like? 

I don't want to play mad scientist during the summer months. I'll have to revisit this in the fall time :smileysad: 

beautylovingirl

@dannyc- Yeah you do have to be careful when in the sun and I'm not that much but when I am I use an SPF of 55 so I'm well covered. :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- Sorry it took me so long to answer this.I use it daily which I can't help because it makes my face  so clean and soft when I'm done and yes it removes all my makeup never a trace left. I love Vivite it's such good skin care. Also I recently started using a skin refinisher called M2 it's redone and now has 20% malic acid. The two together are awesome. The bad thing with me is I break all the rules when following directions on skin care but my skin looks really good so I must be doing something right. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

No worries, I saw you weren't on much. Hey, if it works for you then keep using it! I love glycolic, but I fear that much nightly would make me too sensitive to the sun. Every spring I need to ween myself off retinol because I just can't handle it during the summer months. My skin hates it though... 

beautylovingirl

No I don't pre-cleanse at all I use Vivite exfoliating cleanser so my face is radiant and super clean.:smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

15% glycolic... AWESOME! Does it remove your makeup too? Do you use it daily/nightly? 

jennypenny1995

Nope.  The milk cleanser I use dissolves it all.  Yay!

valentinamia

The Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse is really strange to get used to at first, but it does work! I never experienced a heavy, oily feeling after using it, though... The Pre-Cleanse is good because it should not strip your skin of its essential oils, it is less harsh than some make up removers out there (I also hate those make up remover cloths!), and has kind of a moisturizing effect.  I have not used it in awhile, but when I don't use a pre-cleanse, I find myself washing my face twice... Anyways, I feel like pre-cleansing is all about your personal preference.  I'm not sure if it should be considered a necessity, though it is nice when you go in for a facial or spa treatment! 

starletta8

I don't really think about it as pre-cleaning, but I take two steps before I use cleanser. I use makeup removing towelette on my face first, then follow up with eye makeup remover. If there is makeup left after I wash my face, I go back to eye makeup remover before toner.

crayzeeRN

CliniqueBalm.jpg

I very recently just started doing this- I was concerned that the ways in which I was removing my makeup were leaving makeup in my pores. I started using Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and I absolutely LOVE it! It's a solid balm in a surprisingly large container (4.8 oz), but when you apply it to your face, the heat of your fingers/skin turns it into a silky oily that removes my makeup SO well. It is very easy to wash off, leaves no residue on my skin, and definitely helps to hydrate/soften my skin. I used to see makeup still coming off onto my wash cloth after I used my facial cleanser, now I no longer do! My skin is behaving a lot better since I've started using this :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

I'm interested in incorporating this into my cleansing routine!! This will be a for sure purchase for my birthday!! 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

The Clinique cleansing balm is very similar to the REN cleansing balm. The REN has better reviews right now, so I think that's going to be in my next order. 

Do you use a different cleanser after? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 50 replies
  • 42 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • cherrybombtastic