Did anyone else....

I bought the Clinique Dramatically Different gel based on some great reviews, but found that it didn't work for me. Once it dried, It felt like a film that sucked all of the moisture off of my face, and I have a really oily t-zone. Then, when I tried foundation over it, my foundation started peeling off as soon as it set, in little flakes all over my face. Did this happen to anyone else, and/or is there an ingredient in this product that I might need to avoid for my personal skin?

Re: Did anyone else....

@Randee (for some reason it won't let me reply to individuals, just keeps saying it's unable to complete)

I looked this up again just so I could say Thank You, Randee! I got the Dior Hydra Life Pro Youth Sorbet Cream that you recommended and it is absolutely perfect for me! I have never had a moisturizer so suited to my skin and I have been searching for a very long time! Probably would have never thought of this until you suggested it. It is the perfect amount of moisture for both my dry and oily areas. Goes perfect under makeup. I love it.

Hi karma3p80,

I am glad to hear that the Dior Hydra Life Pro Youth Sorbet Creme is working out for you! Enjoy! Smiley Happy 

<3, Randee

(0) Hearts

It made me break out like crazy... couldn't find the ingredient that set it off though.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm glad I read this thread because I was thinking of placing an order since sephora is offering a free deluxe sample of it today

(0) Hearts

Hi, Randee. Thank you, I have seen this and have been wanting to try it sometime. I will definitely try and get a sample.

Hi Karm3p80, 

I think that the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel works best for very oily skin types. You may want to try Dior's Hydra Life Pro-youth Sorbet Creme. I have found that offers the perfect amount of moisture for combination to oily skin types and it is the ideal base for makeup application!

<3, Randee

(0) Hearts

I also tried it and it moisturized for the first 15 minutes, then it seemed like my skin just sucked up all the moisture and then I had dry skin around the areas I put it on. 

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the replies! I guess I am done with Clinique, because this was the last in a variety of their products that were just not right for me. It's so interesting how skin care can be so different for different people. One person's HG can be another person's nightmare...

I tried the Clinique gel for the first time this year.  I, too, found it left a weird sort of sticky feeling on my fingers after applying it.  I also found I had to apply what seemed like a generous amount on my face so that my face actually felt moisturized.  I didn't have any issues with my foundation or any other problems; however, I'm not impressed with it.  I agree with @dannyc--the OH Sheer Transformation is great.  It's very light, yet provides the right amount of moisturizing.

Ive been using that moisturizing gel for years, it's never been an issue for me. This winter was super crazy though, so I switched to a thicker moisturizer for nights. I've worn it under foundation too, and no issues. But it does kind of make me shiny after about 3 hours, I've kind of come to live with that. 

Oh I really didn't like that gel, moisture surged worked MUCH better for me. In general if you overapply gel products it will flake off, but of course if you need more hydration, well, you kinda have to switch moisturizer.

@Danny, that is funny because the product I ordered with the Clinique gel was the OH Sheer Transformation. It feels a lot better on my skin and so far I like it, but I haven't had a chance to wear it under makeup yet. I did not use a separate spf. Thanks for the info.

I would add an SPF into your routine. 

But I find the OH is light enough for layering without issues. At least on my skin. 

(0) Hearts

@andy, yeah, I thought the same thing at first, that it was not enough moisture, so I did try what you said, applying an additional moisturizer on top, and my foundation still flaked off in little flakes all over! It doesn't do this with any other product that I have tried. I realize that this is just not the product for me, but I was wondering if maybe there was something in this gel particularly that doesn't work well with my skin. The Sephora website didn't list the ingredients.

I think Clinique is really overhyped. They claim to be dermatologist tested (most skin care lines say this) & are meant for "sensitive skin". Yet if you read check the ingredients of a lot of their products (which you have to jump through hoops to find, since they never post their ingredients), you'll find it's mostly alcohol, waxes & fillers. 

What kind of SPF did you use between the moisturizer & foundation? Do you use a primer? 

I love Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation. It's light, but hydrates nicely. I'm also able to layer my SPF, primer, and foundation over it with no issues. 

http://www.sephora.com/sheer-transformation-P42342?skuId=958611

They don't claim it's for sensitive skin just fragrance free which is a known irritant, to some. I've asked directly, if for sensitive skin they could not answer.

I use it myself and i don't have any problems with it. My face feels less tight after I use it. In the morning, I use the clinique moisturizer first. Then I apply moisturizer with SPF. I think the clinique might not be enough moisture for your skin, even though you have oily skin. Try using an additional moisturizer with SPF under your foundation to see if that helps. I like the Cetaphil Oil Control SPF 30. It doesn't control oil like it claims, but it still works great. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

I stopped using Clinique skincare, since it doesn't work for me..oily combo (my skin was much happier once stopped). However I've been told,by Clinique, the yellow cream and gel are supposed by used as a base, then moisturizer on top. When I used the gel, it felt like it dried weird too.

I currently use, estee lauder oil-free daywear spf 25.

I just bought/used philosophy purity made simple gel cleanser, it seemed to take the oil away without drying/tightening the skin and I wasn't so oily during the day. Usually i use their total matteness serum (now have the mask version too).

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i think i'm gonna have to try that cleanser! 

Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 11 in conversation