melisa16

Dermatologist Experiences

(0) Hearts

I am thinking about going to the dermatologist and I'm nervous. I went last year and the medication and cream made my face worse and never quite healed. So I want to go back but worried the same thing will happen. Does anyone have positive experiences of going to a dermatologist?

midnightangel

Re: Dermatologist Experiences

(0) Hearts

I love my dermatologist & have been going to him for almost 20 years. He treats me like one of his own children. I will probably be devastated when he retires.

This guy saved me from my genetic cystic acne twice by prescribing Accutane. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me & I've tried it all. I actually just finished my 2nd Accutane treatment, and when I saw my dermatologist earlier this week he said I looked beautiful & should be on the cover of Vogue. Awww! hehe

So yeah, finding the right dermatologist can be as crucial as finding the right treatment. It's all trial & error. I saw every dermatologist in the county I live in before meeting my current one. And I tried every treatment imaginable. So prepare to experiment. There is no universal miracle cure - you'll have to try this & that until you find what works best for you. But I assure you it will be worth it. :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@melisa16- The 4 to 6 weeks is just the time that you have to begin to see improvement the actual clearing time may take 6 months to a year.:smileyhappy:

dolceloure

Make sure you give as much info as you can about your condition. For example if it's acne, where you've been getting it, how often, how long does it last, etc..so they can better determine the root of the problem. I had a dermatologist prescribe me topical treatments for my acne and it didn't work at all. Another dermatologist I later saw told me my acne was hormonal and I would need to take an oral medication for it (bingo. pills work for me. lol) Unfortunately, with skin stuff, more often than not it's trial and error with finding a treatment that gives you good results.

beautylovingirl

I work for a dermatologist and the prescriptions and creams that are prescribed to you may possibly make your face worse before getting better. It would take at least 4 to 6 weeks to begin improvement and you must use it faithfully and stay on the entire routine and use all of it to gain better skin. Getting acne skin to clear is a lot of work and very frustrating but if your not going to be consistent with the program he/she puts you with there's really no sense in going back. :smileyhappy:

melisa16

(0) Hearts

Ooo interesting that you work for a dermatologist. And I stick with the routine every night and day for 3 1/2 months, but each month my skin got worse and worse. But thanks on saying a time frame of when to see improvment.

JustACostume

(0) Hearts

I went to the dermatologist for acne, my doctor prescribed me two things I used them for a month and he wanted me back to make sure my skin was fine and what not. It was quick, easy and my skin is really good now.

cherrybombtastic

I went to a dermatologist once for my acne, and what he prescribed to me made my skin worse. I went to my usual family doctor for a usual checkup, and he graciously gave me samples of expensive topical treatments, so maybe your usual doctor is the way to go.

voxover

(0) Hearts

Great advice! Same thing goes in my experience. My most recent derm has been hesitant to give me things beyond stuff I've already tried that no longer work well for me. :/ They often have lots of acne treatment samples lying around, especially since no one's usually asking a general doc if they have any.

voxover

My dermatologists have just been so-so. One great thing is the last one I had gave me a ton of 2 gram samples of the horrifically expensive $300 topical prescriptions my insurance wouldn't cover. You have to be sure to ask though.

It's annoying that they don't give a list of all kinds of ingredients besides Rx stuff that can help with acne. I never knew about glycolic acid and salicylic acid peels and witch hazel until I looked online and studied up on acne overviews that you can look up for free on USA gov websites. That's where you find all the real information about potential acne treatments (like duo gels, facial peels, oral medications, zinc, usage information, potential adverse reactions, ect) in my experience.

Out of curiosity, what did the last derm prescribe for you?

melisa16

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I have read online samples can be very money-saving. Salicylic acid I don't react well to, and glyolic acid helps to a certain extent. I think its because I suffer from hormonal acne.

I was subscribed zicam cream and the medication was called solodyn

PoshDarling

(0) Hearts

I go to the dermatologist for skin checks (moles), but that's about it.

I went as a teenager when I had some acne, and was prescribed an Erythromycin gel that did nothing to help, and again when I had a strange rash appear on my face. That time was a positive experience, since I had been dealing with the rash (dubbed the "stress rash" by me, since it mostly appeared when I was upset, stressed, or if my skin was irritated by something) for over a year and this derm took one look at it, prescribed a cream, and it was gone within a couple of weeks. I wish I remembered what the rash was called and what the cream was, just in case it ever pops back up.

You didn't mention whether you'd be going back to the same dermatologist, but if you do, definitely express your concerns over what happened last time and your skins reaction to the products. It's possible they can also recommend some over the counter products that may be good for you, too. That will hopefully make for a more pleasant experience this time around.

Don't feel pressured to go by their recommendations. Write down the products they are suggesting and then do some research on them, read reviews, etc., to make sure you are comfortable first.

melisa16

(0) Hearts

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am not going back to the same dermatologist, because after one medication, he said I should accutane because that would be the only solution. However, my skin is not that bad, and couldn't believe after only giving me one medication, that he said that would be the only thing to help. And thanks again, you gave great advice too!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • melisa16
    • dolceloure
    • beautylovingirl
    • midnightangel
    • JustACostume