Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

thx 🙂  did realize she did any oils so was just not putting the two together

My skin is more normal to dry but my favorite is Sisley black rose. It smells lovely and makes skin feel like velvet. I use a drop or two in the morning or lots at night. Clarins ones are really nice too at a much lower price point.  

I am on the road today, so thought it worthwhile to give a typical travel routine. 

It is February and I arrived in 90F dry weather today.  Last week I was in 20F and snow.  Skincare really earns its keep during these months when weather changes so much from place to place. 

2/17/16- PM routine:

1. NUDE Omega Jelly cleanser

2. Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask (my favourite TH product)

3. MV Organics 9 oil cleansing tonic - used as treatment tonight

4. DDG Ferulic+Retinol serum

5. Algenist eye cream (the white container)

6. Amore Pacific night (?) cream

My travel skincare and makeup is very lean and streamlined.  At home I play around and rotate much more.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a deeply hydrating moisturizer with ceramides and peptides, that would help condition my skin while using my prescription retinoid, Differen .3%.  I've run out of the Belif moisturizing bomb, and the Fresh lotus burns my skin slightly so I want to avoid using it with the retinoid unless my skin feels more oily.   

Thanks!

roseps,

This winter I have used Sjal Kuri Intuitif Intense Hydrating cream on the worst days.  It is a perfect product.  It has peptides, ceramide, and is intensly hydrating.

It is a spendy product, so it might might be worth using on the days that you really need the big guns. 

On other days this season, I have had good success layering Ren Omega oil with a night cream for deep hydration.

Skin type: oily/combo

Current skin condition: dry patches, oily tzone

Current PM skincare:

1. Sunday Riley Blue Moon Cleansing Balm

2. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip

3. Bioderma for eye makeup removal

4. Pixi Glow tonic

5. Shiseido Benefiance Eye Cream

6. Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm

7. Tatcha Deep Hydration Firming Serum

8. Sunday Riley Luna

every other day I switch out the last two

7. Kypris Midnight Catalyst

8. Herbivore Phoenix  Facial Oil

twice a week I use Sunday Riley Good Genes

Comments: I'm having major trouble with my morning skincare routine. I just haven't been bothered really. I have been pretty good about using my Pixie Glow Tonic in the mornings with a cotton. But what are your favorite day time moisturizers? That's always been hard for me. I want something hydrating but not oily. Something that will go good under makeup.

If you don't need a lot of moisturization in the morning and/or can't bring yourself to go through/don't have time for an elaborate routine, I seriously LOVE the Murad Invisiblur. It's a serum, primer and SPF all in one, and makeup goes on like a dream on top of it. 

Sometimes if I'm feeling ambitious, I use the Chanel Balancing Toner underneath and maybe (probably not) a serum (Caudalie Vinexpert, OH Truth Serum or SR Good Genes). But more often than not this is my one-stop shop for morning skincare.

I second the Murad Invisiblur love, though i am not using it right now because the winter here is seriously dry. It's a great all-in-one skincare item, and the only primer i like.

Age - 22

Skin type - Normal, leans oily

Current skin condition - The worst it's been in a while. My cheeks feel tight, my forehead is more textured than usual, I'm breaking out a little, and I'm sporting a gnarly cystic acne scar in the smack right middle of my forehead. Joy.

AM

• Be The Skin Purifying White Waterful Toner
  • Mizon Mela Defense White Capsule Essence
  • Secret Key Starting Treatment Eye Cream
  • Mizon All in One Snail Repair Cream

Comments: I'm sure both the dehydration and the breaking out is due to spending the weekend at my boyfriend's/not following my routine as thoroughly. I regularly use a serum and a sleeping mask at night, but I'm wondering if adding a serum to my AM routine would help with the tightness?

Yesterday I got a nasty pimple, resisted the urge to pop it. Here's what I used, today it calmed down significantly.

Last night' skincare:

glamglow supercleanse daily treatment cleanser mud to foam 

herbivore rose mist

claudiele serum vinoperfect

korres brightening facial cream wild rose

herbivore lapis azul oil

morning:

Same deal minus the korres cream

sunscreen supergoop

shiseido eye sunscreen

fresh lip balm

shiseido lash and brow serum

So last night the pimple was looking pretty gross, like an inverted pepperoni. but tiny of course right above my lip, lovely.

I used the glamglow and it really helped.this cleanser is meant for problem skin, skin imperfections, pore refining, mattifying, and clarifying.  It saved me from being there more than one day, it practically 'cleared' over night, maybe by tomorrow i'll have a slight red. love it for when my skin is in trouble so i'll probably end up  buying it again for those problem days.

Now. HERBIVORE LAPIS AZUL. If you guys are curious about this product, I have oily/normal combination skin so I chose this specific oil because it goes with my skin type but there are others for different skin types from this line.

I received this on the 9th, so I was able to use it that night, I've been using it ever since. Thoughts?

It has a slight scent, it's like a chalky mint and it does linger for quite a while. I put 10 little drops but you can put 5-10, it just depends on how big your face is. 10 does me just fine. What I've noticed? It's been keeping my face rather happy, it's moisturized throughout the day, it looks clean, healthy, very dewy without the feeling of greasiness. It does feel light on my skin, it's just a tiny bit thicker than the nude rescue oil. I prefer the scent from the nude to this one, the chalky mint scent can be quite offputting but I get over it. I feel like it's helping my face oil' balance. And unlike when I use the rescue oil, this one does work better with makeup. My makeup does not move with this oil, and that's a good thing! with other oils I feel like I need to blot all the time, and it also feels weird to the point where I don't want to wear foundation? Anyway, this oil has been helping my skin, that is all.

working to keep some hormonal congestion at bay. nothing angry this month, though...so i consider that a success !

last night 2/14/16

CLINIQUE take the day off balm to take makeup off

REN rosa centifolia hot cloth cleanser

PIXI glow tonic

PTR bio repair rose stem cell mask. kept this one for around 2 hours

GLOSSER rose soothing skin mist 

HYLAMIDE HA booster serum

CLARINS blue orchid oil

AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating lotion

2/15/16

NUDE clarifying cleansing oil

MURAD essential-c toner

HYLAMIDE HA booster serum

CAUDALIE vinoperfect radiance serum

CLARINS lotus oil (just one drop)

AVEDA bk hydrating lotion.

Ok based on Jemly's advice I tweaked my routine a bit this evening:

Body Shop Cammomile oil cleanser - remove makeup w wet washcloth

Boscia Tsubaki cleanser

PIXI GLOW TONIC

Rosewater spritz 

Benton aloe toner

Fresh black tea eye concentrate 

Boscia cool blue hydrating essence

Rx differin .1% cream

Hydraluron

Belief Moisturizing bomb

I considered adding Nude rescue oil on top before heading into bed but I'm not so sure my skin needs it.

My skin looks so much brighter after using the Pixi Glow Tonic!!!  And when I applied the retinoid it felt so smoooth.  It was nice.  Hopefully my skin looks good tomorrow and is not scaly or shiny from overexfoliation...  It was starting to get a bit shiny in areas and irritated in others so that's why I scaled back the other exfoliation.  

Roseps,

Using an acid toner like Pixi Glow prior to using an OTC Retinol improves the efficacy of the latter.  The toner preps the skin and will allow the retinol to absorb better.

However, I believe you are using a prescription Retinoid (I think).  I would suggest you also double check the directions/instructions that came with the medication (or check with your doctor) before adding in exfoliants.  Some people are okay with it, but skin sensitivities can vary.  Good idea to make sure.

On a side note - Acids and retinols work on different layers of the skin.  Acids exfoliate the top layer of skin and remove dead skin cells.  Retinols work on deeper layers promoting cell renewal etc. 

Yep Greenchili, I am using a prescription retinoid.  .1% differin CREAM.  I was just in at the derm this morning and she increased it to .3% differin GEL, so we will see how that goes.  

Jemly, my skin was good this morning!  Smoother, and not dehydrated.  I mean, it was normal dry, but not uncomfortable like it sometimes gets.  

I got a great big honker of a pimple... I hoped the pixi glow tonic would help it go away but it didn't.  Maybe it helped prevent it from getting bigger. Derm gave it a cortisone shot so I really hope it goes down soon because I have an event on Thursday and they are taking headshots!!!!

I also went to Target to pick up some more sunscreen, and see if my local target carries this pixi skincare you are raving about.  Alas, my local target still does not carry it!!  I have to go to one further away.  For the first time they had a beauty rep who offered to help me.  I have previously used La Roche Posay Anthelios Mineral sunscreen, but don't like it under makeup.  She explained it wasn't intended for makeup so maybe that's why I'm having a problem. We selected the Anthelios 50 Daily Anti Aging Primer with Sunscreen

instead, which is 25% titanium dioxide, and is meant to be a sunscreen with priming qualities, and it is tinted and blurrs the skin.  Hopefully that works out!   

Roseps,

If Pixi products are not available at your Target, I recommend purchasing directly form their website - Pixibeauty.

To tell you the truth, I have never bought Pixi at Target.  I buy all their products directly from their website.  Also, Pixi website has a points sytem for cash back which is quite nice.  You can get a few bucks off quite easily.

Hope your skin feels better soon!

Thanks!  But can you return stuff to Pixi direct if you don't like it?  Have you tried that and was it easy?  

The cortisone shot was a miracle.  The zit is pretty much gone, slight bump now and slightly darkened but nothing like it would have been without.

Roseps, I have never had to return a Pixi product. 

Their website says that returns are accepted only of unused items.

how'd your skin feel this morning ? 🙂

I've been wanting to try the Pixi Glow Tonic but I'm a little confused about what it is/when to use it. I thought it was a toner, but I see that you applied toner as well as the tonic. Is it more of an acid, like the Paula's Choice BHA? I currently use Paula's Choice so if the two products are similar I won't buy the Glow just yet.

Jennifer,

Glow Tonic is a mild acid toner containing Glycolic acid (AHA).  Acid toners/acid exfoliants may contain AHA, BHA, or both.  If you like PC BHA, just keep using that.

I use the Glow tonic most often as part of my morning routine when I want a mild exfoliating.

Toners in the past were often used as a second cleanse, to balance PH, or even as astringents with a lot of alcohol.  Now that cleansers are quite good, toners have improved as well.  They are either hydrating, exfoliating (acid), or both.

All acids perform slightly differently, although all of them exfoliate, help prevent frequency of breakouts, and improve complexion .  Also, some people might not tolerate one kind of acid but tolerate another.  So there are products that have varying formulations .....

It's a toner with a low concentration (5%?) of glycolic acid. You'd generally use it after a cleanser. Looks like some people in the thread are using multiple toners with different ingredients/benefits. 

2,407 Replies
testing