Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Yeah! The jar isn't too much of a deal for me... I have mini jars of the Blue Moon and I've been scooping from the full size into the smaller one. Makes me feel a little better that my fingers won't be contaminating the entire jar.

I used Blue Moon last night and think that my skin looks softer after cleansing ๐Ÿ˜ž I'll still give the TTDO a chance, though.

That's a pretty strong recommendation for Sarah Chapman @mrsbaine! I'll have to put that on the to-try list. 

This product has been my constant face wash for about a year. I actually miss it right now; it's been 4 or so days using Mahalo's Unveil. The way The Ultinate Fleanse glides over your skin is kinda amazing. It has a ton of slip and I'm into the smell. To me, it's uber hydrating too. I think I've talked myself right back into a $70 cleanser @fairlywell. Lol. It's a good thing I have one in back up. 

@mrsbaine I tried a sample of Unveil, and there was nothing NOT to like about it, it just didn't wow me. Lots of slip sounds very good. How would you describe the smell? No hurry, I have at least three balm cleansers open at the moment. ๐Ÿ˜„ I justify it by saying that it's (probably) less $$ than dermatologist appointments. And certainly less invasive!

@mrsbaine it's currently on lookfantastic for $58.50 plus 15% off. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

That was tempting for sure @fairlywell! I even went to the site! Have you ordered from them? I'm wondering why it's $58 when it's typically $70. Huge discount! 

It's hard to explain the sent honestly. When I open the new one I have, I'll get my hound dog husband to describe it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@mrsbaine I have not. It's probably a risk. I do more or less rely on my credit card company to sort things out if they ever get messy, though. 

@mrsbaine

I have bought from Look Fantastic before.  Worked out fine.  These are some of the shops that are UK based.

My skin is having a fit. It's making my brain have a fit. 

27, combo skin that takes some maintenance, but overall does what it should unless I'm easing up on some medication. Now it's dry...I don't really know what to do about dry skin.

PM

Tatcha oil

Nude Omega Jelly

PTR cucumber gel mask, I'm going to sleep with this overnight 

...keep telling myself that less is more...

Less can be more. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've had dry skin as well; my skin is happy now and so it's more normal lately. When my skin is really dry, I look for ingredients that are specific to hydration. Products with honey, Aloe, and different hydrating oils can be really helpful! Some great Sephora options are FAB's Oatmeal mask. That's super hydrating. Dr. Jart's Ceramidin line is also really nice. They have a balm and cream that work nicely. They also have a starter kit.  As for oils, there are so many out there. You can also just buy hydrating oils that are on the market. Jojoba and Rose oil are very hydrating. I hope that helps a bit @Haleyhale

@Haleyhale

Sorry to hear about your skin misbehaving.

Less is more - but you need much more than nothing at all!  A gel mask is woefully inadequate.

If I could suggest:  Dry skin needs oil, and your PM routine is left wanting in this.  

After cleansing, I suggest a layer of spritz (Pixi Milky mist or Caudalie Grape water).  Or you can just leave your skin a bit damp.  Massage in an oil into slightly damp skin.  Top it off by massaging in a cream.

If you aren't already exfoliation, might I suggest you do that 2-3 times a weeknight.  This will keep the skin fresh and products will absorb better as well.

Your skin should feel much calmer and more hydrated soon.

Thanks @greenchilli

Misting sound amazing. I have the Caudalie beauty water and Herbivore Coco Rose and Pixi Milky, I cannot believe I didn't think of them in the heat of the moment, ahh! 

I exfoliate with DDG ferulic acid + retinol every Sunday and if I need to supplement it with a DDG regular peel two to three days later, I'm terrified of over exfoliation haha.

@mrsbaine I'm going to check out the Dr. Jart ceramindin cream and also go through my stash for some oils

Thanks so much ladies I'm off to drench myself in mists ๐Ÿ˜€

@Haleyhale

Looks like you are adequately exfoliating.

My advice with misting -

I find that mists work best when used as a layer in hydration.  Otherwise they can actually feel drying. They are water based and will leave your face dehydrated as they evaporate.  I like to mist and while my face is damp....massage an oil into skin.  This locks in the moisture.

Hi guys! First time posting my skincare order on this thread. I'm currently using clindamycin phosphate topical gel 1% in the AM and Tretinoin Cream .1% in the PM for acne. My skin is extremely flaky which is expected when using such strong topical treatments. My jawline, smile line, and forehead is espicially dry. I've noticed my pores have been quite clogged around/on my nose. If you guys could recommended any gentle cleaners, moisturizers, etc much would be appreciated! Even tips or tricks!

AM
1. Rinse with cold water (I'm finding my normal cleaners to be quite harsh on my skin)
2. Belief Hungarian water essence
3. Kiehls midnight eye recovery
4. Tata Harper rejuvenating serum
5. Clindamycin 

6. Belief Aqua bomb

7. I either use the Shiseido 42 UE oil free UV protector (love) or the DE Umbra SPF 30 (originally was going to return until I was watching I believe gothamista and she had commented that it's easier to use if you blend in with a i.e. Moisturizer)

8. Farmacy honey savior for lips

Side note: I'm very prompt with the use the reapplication of sunscreen as my skin is very sensitive to any exposure. I even put I on when I'm in he house and don't have plans to go outside lol! Throughout the day I will spray on the Avรจne thermal spring water. 

PM

1. Usually use cold water but tonight I used a cucumber mask by Clarity Rx

2. Jurlique Rosewater balancing mist

3. Belief Hungarian water essence

4. Wait 25 mins then put my Trenintoin cream

5. Kiehls eye cream 

6. Wait a few minutes to apply Farmacy honey savior on face and lips

@JulesLG

Welcome.

1. I noticed that you don't use a cleanser morning or evening.  I strongly recommend a cleanser at night, and suggest some sort of cleansing in the AM (even if you don't use a "cleanser").

At night you MUST remove SPF.  Inadequate removal of SPF can cause breakouts, clogged pores and any number f skin irritable issues.

In the morning, you want to get rid of dead skin build up overnight, and sweat.  A mix of sweat and dead skin is no good.  However, you don't need to do a through cleanse.  But you need something.  Some people cleanse and tone, some just tone.  

2.  With your treatements, you are most likely suffering a lot of dry skin patches that need hydration and also need to flake away.  So please cleanse and HYDRATE.

---In the morning I suggest using the Ren Evercalm Cleansing milk.  It is really gentle and non-drying, especially suited for skin that is receiving treatment.  In the PM, use an oil or balm to remove the SPF.  Farmacy Green Clean is a good option.

---Belif Aqua bomb is not hydration enough.  When using Tretinoin, you need extra hydration.  Incorporate a cream.  Look into Dr. Jart or Belif cream.

----At night, try using a face oil and cream.  Again, hydration is key.  You need to protect your skin when treating with Tretinoin, or you leave it sensitive to elements.

Jurlique balancing mist and Belif Hungarian Essence are non-essential items in your routine.  I would focus on creams, oils, and gentle cleansers.

Thank you so much for your reply! I make sure I drink plenty of water. I did try out the Dr. Jart grass cream and didn't do much for me. I was using a the Kate Somerville exfoliate cleanser or the soy fresh face cleanser but found it very drying on my skin. If I'm wearing any face makeup I will use the Shiseido ultimate cleansing oil. I exfoliate at least 2 times a week and it's typically the kiehls micro-derm if my skin isn't as sensitive but typically the Fresh sugar face polish. I will definitely be picking up the REN cleansing milk and and the Ceremidin cream. I'll look into the Farmacy balm. Again thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi @JulesLG, I'm going to agree with greenchilli- you definitely need a good gentle cleanser. I've used clindamycin in the past, and I recall it working best on clean but comfy skin. I like the rec for Ren - it's very soothing with no acids or active stuff to compete. The Sum35 rose stick is also great and fun to use if you like the scent of roses.

A balm to remove your sunscreen and makeup at night is key. Farmacy is nice because you can get a sample from sephora to try before you buy - same with Clinique TTDO. 

For moisture, I like the regular Dr Jart ceramidin and also the Belif cream. I agree that a little oil treatment would really help your dry patches and make your exfoliation more effective. (Healthier skin underneath!) if you want oil recommendations there are tons in this thread, or feel free to ask!

PS good on you with the sunscreen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll try picking up a sample when I go in stores! Do you have any oils that you could recommend? And do you put the oil before/after the moisturizer? Or can you just mix them? Also, do you have any hydrating masks and brightening treatments/masks (for after treatment if to strong)  you could recommend? Thanks! It was until later last year that I really understood the importance of sunscreen long before my start of this treatment. Use to think it was ridiculous for using sunscreen just to go to school, store, etc. But I even have my younger brother put it on now haha.

@JulesLG I tend to make a feast of my evening skincare. In general you want to go light to heavy, and make sure your tretinoin has time to absorb before adding more layers. So cream first, then oil. Unless you prefer oil first with a long wait time! Whatever works for you. 

Oils: oh yes. But I feel like the good ones are hard on the budget. (Hey, @starsandbucks !) budget-ish, I like Trilogy COQ10. If you can handle the cost, Aurelia is wonderful. Greenchilli is more of the oil expert than I am so far, I suggest bothering her! I've been using Vintner's Daughter and it's nice, but honestly I'm a spendy sort of person and that is certainly not required for nice skin. I have a friend who swears by a rosehip oil from Whole Foods. Argan oil isn't my personal favorite for face, but there are tons of options if your face likes it (Josie Maran at Sephora). Try lots of samples if you can! Skincare is really personal. 

Hydrating masks: I'm just dipping my toes into the mask world. So I'm not the best for advice. You might look at sheet masks though, many of them are purely for hydration. I like the hydrogel type the best, but that's more comfort than performance!

Question for you skincare gurus.

Do you find that price, in general,correlates with quality? I've been using a sample of marula oil and I quite like it. Turns out, the full size bottle is $78. I'm not opposed to paying $80 for skincare if it's a great product and will nourish my skin and keep it healthy. But I'm curious if anyone has found a legit difference between high-end items and their dupable counterparts you can purchase in health food stores or Amazon or whatever for $13 or so. Thanks for any input!

@greenchilli @mrsbaine @starrysilver thank you all so much! I didn't mean to leave a question and run but I ended up suddenly getting so tired and falling unexpectedly asleep. All these responses are SO helpful. I figured there would be a lot of shades of grey to this answer and you ladies gave me a lot to chew on! Thankyouthankthankyou! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Replies
testing