Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

I think it can depend based on what it is. Specifically with oils, there are lots of factors to consider: are they 100% marula oil versus Marula IN another oil which basically dilutes it. Or vice versa; is the Marula the base with something else in it. Also, is it cold pressed which is supposed to be better than normally processed. I've read that even origin makes a difference. There are lots of great articles out there on oils and what they should look like depending on quality, how to store them, packaging, etc. I've been on an oil kick lately, so I've been trying different oils from everywhere and I do see a difference in quality based of claim; not necessarily price. For example, if one is cold pressed or not, or if it is Organic or not.

As it relates to other skincare items, I also think it depends. Similar to what @greenchilli stated below, some things are better than others regardless of price. I've found wonderful things in the FAB line that are inexpensive and thing in LaMer that leave a lot to be desired at the price point. The Ordinary is a good example of this; their products are very inexpensive and some are better in quality and performance than things you find in other brands. It all depends.

In general I would say there is a difference, but it really depends on your skin and what is worth it to you.  I usually end up using more inexpensive skincare because for me right now I don't see enough of a difference to invest in high end products.  (except for a few things!)

I will say though that regarding marula oil, I have used the acure organics one and I loved it!  I found it just as effective as the high end.  I bought it on amazon, if you're interested.

@starsandbucks

To answer your question - kinda yes.  Stronger actives, cleaner formulations, cold pressing, better quality ingredients etc costs money.  There is expensive skincare that is just a scam (IMO) too.  They use cheap ingredients, are gimmicky, and still charge a pretty penny.

However, I would couch it as so:

-  A lot of my most effective skincare costs more.

-  But a lot of expensive skincare is not my cup of tea either : Sunday Riley, Leah Lani, LaMer.

- I have a few inexpensive skincare that I like a lot, from Pixi or the Ordinary.  Glycolic formulations are not an expensive product, so both these make it well.  Good mists and cleansers (based on type) can be made inexpensively too.

But my favourite oils, serums etc do cost more.   I make my decision based on the ingredients, formulation, and how effective it is on me.  Also, our needs vary by age, and we need better formulations to be just as effective.  Someone in their 20s can get away with simpler products.

You could try getting the ingredients cheaply from Amazon.  If it works just as well on you....go for it.  

Anonymous Insider

Sunday PM

tempImageForSave.jpg

Sunday night skincare - 06/18/17

Age - 42

Skin type/condition - oily, good.

IMG_20170618-PM (Large).jpg

1. Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing balm - you will see this as a staple in my skincare.  I use it as a makeup/skin cleanse.  This and Tata Harper Nourishing oil cleanser are my faves.

2. Biologique P50

3. Josh Rosebrook Hydrating accelerator

4. Zelens Vit A drops

5. DDG Ferulic +Retinol eye cream

6. Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil

IMG_1130.JPG

How is that new Pixi serum? @Blackwhiskey

@jen81 it's hydrating!

DECIEM fans.  Estee Lauder invested in it.  I think they are still independent,  ES has a minority interest.

- The Ordinary,  Hylamide,  NIOD.

Does anyone use Aurelia cell repair night oil? Can you share some results if you do? 

I remember reading it here, but forget who . TY 🙂

@luvgloss13 I didn't like it. It was just sitting on top of my skin, clogging my pores. It was sitting there like a weird layer of silicone or something. Really yucky. I even gave it another go after some time, and exactly the same thing happened again. I ended up giving my bottle to a friend ( she said it was ok, but nothing mind blowing ) even though I couldn't part with that scent! It smells gorgeous!

Hope you'll have better luck with it!

@luvgloss13 I havent been able to pull the trigger on full size. but its quite nice.

@luvgloss13

I have used the night cream...it is ok.  The oil is the star.  I have not wanted to layer both, the oil shines on its own.

Not saying you shouldn't,  but try it one at a time.

@greenchilli I agree. I am going to try one only and give it a few days. 

I just got a bunch of skincare and tried a lot all at once. 

My skin may be a bit mad at me. 

@luvgloss13

I have been on a mission to convert the world onto Aurelia for ages   I have persuaded some here as well. 

It is softening,  moisturising,  gives skin a glow, and just makes your skin healthier.  You get fewer cranky episodes.  I use it every day, sometimes layering it over a clarifying oil.

And it is lightly scented of Neroli. ..divine.

I use it every day.  I use it to layer with other oils as well.

Anonymous Insider

I am one of @greenchilli converts 😉 

I also like the Aurelia night Moisturizer. @luvgloss13

Loveee Aurelia cell repair Night oil!! It is nourishing but still light, smell soo good, and make my skin happy! Thanks @greenchilli 😉 I use it almost every night and one of my favorite product of all time. 

@greenchilli YAY. Ok, very happy to hear this. 

I am looking for a good soothing oil.

My skin is a bit red and I am hoping this calms it a bit and does what I wanted VD to do! 🙂

I know I have a sample of the night cream as well. So maybe I will try and layer them tonight. 

I'm one of @greenchilli 's converts, @luvgloss13. She and I have somewhat different skin types, I think, and yet for me also it's a definite repurchase as necessary. It really just makes my skin nicer in a way that other oils haven't. (I'm giving VD a spin now, can't rate or compare it yet.) For me, a couple of drops of Aurelia sink right in without leaving me greasy. I noticed over a few months of use that my skin's texture was finer, and I started getting those coveted "you're glowing" compliments. I hope it works for you!

Anonymous Insider

PM

tempImageForSave.jpg

@Anonymous

Ooooh I haven't seen some of this before! What are you thoughts on the balm and oil?

testing