Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Treating myself to a pm facial:

• Suzanne Kauffman Enzyme Peel - first time trying it but heard so many good things!
  • Lush Mask of Magnaminty - like but would try a charcoal clay mask next
  • REN Evercalm Rescue Mask - genius in a bottle

Anyone have any double cleanse recs? Probably not Tatcha - looks amazing but trying to keep the cleansers 30 or under 🙂 I've seen Jordan Samuels plie cleanser on here recently but I can't find a description so I'm not sure if it's liked?

@existincolor For a second/AM cleanse I've been really enjoying the Pixi Glow mud cleanser. One of my other summertime faves is PTR anti-aging cleansing gel (the orange one.) That's a little over your budget, but the other is a bit under. 😉

Tried and liked but not my personal favorite - FAB foaming cleanser.

For an inexpensive first cleanse, I've liked Banila Clean It Zero Radiance. Although Clinique TTDO is in my opinion better, and I seem to need less of it so that's a factor in affordability as well.

@fairlywell Thanks so much!

@existincolor Plie is an oil based jelly feeling cleanser.

It seems to have either extreme fans or dislike.  I think it works as a lovely product but I personally don't like products I have to remove with a cloth.

Others on here particularly like that method and so the cleanser is wonderful to them.  

For the price it is a good cleanser, if that is the method you like.

@mochapi

Thanks for the review!

@existincolor

When you ask for double cleanse recs, which cleanse do you mean?  They are inexpensive cleansers out there, however not many good ones that are under $30 for both the first and second cleanse.

Pixi Double cleanse - both

Farmacy Green Clean - can be used for both

Clinique Take the Day off Balm - good first cleanse

@greenchilli

Around 30 or under for each cleanser (first and second pm - so $60-80 total). Sorry didn't mean to be so vague. Currently I think using inefficient cleansers is where a lot of my acne is coming from. Thanks for the recs!

@existincolor

Thanks for the clarification.  I think you have many good options for cleansers including the ones I mentioned previously.

I would also consider:

Ren Evercalm cleansing Milk - 2nd cleanse/AM cleanse.  This is excellent for sensitive skin.

NUDE Omega Jelly - 2nd cleanse/AM cleanse.  Or very light makeup cleanse.

Hi ladies!!! I just started a skincare routine about 2 months ago when i started back on my tretinoin. I have hormonal acne(maybe like one pimple per month), but previous acne scars and uneven skintone are what bother me the most. I wanted to post my regimen to see if anyone has any suggestions or products i should swap out after using these. Still looking for a good moisturizer....i have a sample of the Dr Jart ceramindin cream and will incorporate that this week

Age 34, Dry and possible dehydrated  

AM

Burts Bees Cleanser ( almost 2 weeks left of this and will be switching to Cerave Hydrating Cleanser)

TO Gyclolic 7% Toner

DE Vit C

DE B Hydra w/ argan oil

TO NMF 

Benefit Dream Screen

PM

Burts Bees Cleanser(no makeup) 

Clinique TTDO and JSS Plie (makeup)

Atralin - Tretinoin

GG or DE Framboss

JSS Hydrate or DE Hydra w/ DE marula oil 

Thanks!!!!!

Hi @nolameek I'm curious about how you incorporated the tretinoin and the AHAs in to your routine. Did you start off applying only every three days or so and rotating each or did you jump right in? If you weren't able to give your skin enough time to adjust, it might be causing you to feel overly dry or irritated. 

There is conflicting advice about not using a retinoid at the same time as an AHA due cancelling each others' benefits out. I'm no chemist, but I rotate my retinoid and AHA  to be on the safe side but mostly to avoid excess irritation. Your GG and DE Framboos are essentially performing the same thing. I would go with whichever you like better. The Framboos might be too strong for your dry skin.

If I were you I'd probably switch to a physical sunscreen since the one you're using now has avobenzone which breaks down in the presence of UV (that's how it protects). Since you are using an AHA both morning and night you probably aren't getting enough UVA protection unless you are reapplying multiple times during the day. UVA is what causes cancer and ages skin, which our skin is more susceptible to when we are using retinoids and AHAs.

I really like the Dr Jart Ceramidin cream, though I have only used samples. I hope it works well for you. I also found the DE Hydra, even when mixed w/ an oil wasn't enough moisture for me. You may also want to switch your TO glycolic toner out for a more moisturizing one. I would also only use it at night if you keep using it.

@nolameek I've never used tretinoin, so I'm not sure what the considerations are with combining products.  If you're using that with Good Genes, make sure you're hydrating well - I've noticed that my skin recovers from spots and scarring much better when it has a good slather of moisture at night. The ceramidin cream is a good one! If you're thinking of adding products, hydrating ones might give you that extra glow.

Thanks for the info...i will be starting the ceramidin tonight. 

@nolameek

Hi!  I can't tell what all your acronyms mean.  Perhaps more information?

I'm with you on not knowing what the some of the acronyms meant but I figured them out.  I guess I spend way too much time thinking about skincare too. @fairlywell

TO - The Ordinary

JSS - Jordan Samuels Skin

Apparently I spend way too much time thinking about skincare, I got all the acronyms 🙊 @greenchilli

Anonymous Insider

AM

tempImageForSave.jpg

IMG_0092.JPG

PM - I've made the switch to summer skin. Lots of sunscreen, lots of cleansing. I'm in high-maintenance mode now. Me and the garden will be dry and who-cares come August. 

1) Clinique TTDO

2) Pixi Glow Mud Cleanser (my face loves glycolic acid)

3) My own non-dupe of the Mahalo Bean mask. I sampled the real deal and was disappointed it wasn't more yummy-smelling. Happy to share my notes if anyone has spare vanilla beans and a kitchen to wreck!

4) PTR cucumber detox mask baby size

5) MILK matcha toner (I like this as a novelty, but it's probably not a repurchase for me)

6) Vintner's Daughter 

7) Farmacy Eye Dew

😎 ML Blue Cocoon (try try again)

I would love to hear about your dupe for the magalo bean mask! @fairlywell 

@jen81 here you go! It's really not a dupe, more of a riff on Mahalo's good idea. 

In a food processor, I combined these things (all organic and pesticide-free)

- 6 Tahitian vanilla beans

- 1/2 cup of espresso grind coffee beans

- 2 T dark cocoa powder

- 1 tsp cinnamon

- 1 tsp cardamom

once ground up well, I added:

- 1/4 c honey

- 2 T sweet almond oil

if you stop there the mix should be stable at room temp, but I would still use it within a few weeks. You will need to stir in a little water or glycerin in order to spread it on your face - if you do that to the batch, refrigerate it. Honey has antibacterial properties, but once you add water it becomes less so. Oh, and some people are sensitive to cinnamon and cardamom - you can definitely leave those out if you prefer. Let me know if you try it! 

I love using the blue cocoon while my skin is damp from a facial mist (in specific the Josh Rosebrook hydrating accelerator), I find that it absorbs much better!

@MiaM7 I really need to try the hydrating accelerator. Everyone seems to love it!

1 Reply
testing