Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

@greenchilli i recently got through a hefty amount of under-used facial oils (that either a. did nothing or bad things to my skin or b. had expired) by using them in my hair. it was amazing. i know your hair is perfect and needs little-to-no help, but if you discover some of these don't work for you i wanted to suggest an alternative route ! 

i find the REN vita mineral omega oil can fix my distressed skin IMMEDIATELY ( i remember i had a flaky nose when i purchased it, within 24 hours an issue i'd been dealing with for a month was resolved), but if i use it every day/too enthusiastically it can break me out. sometimes it really is a difficult road to navigate. i think i'll always want to have it around now that i know how it works for me.......

This is such a good idea @jemly!

@jemly Good idea!

In fact, I did a coconut oil hair mask two days ago prior to washing my hair.  What a difference it made - it had been a while.  With repeated use of a hair dryer over the years, my hair tends to feel dry.  

UMA, Vintners Daughter, Aurelia, and Skin Owl are my favourite oils and I can use them daily.  I haven't used Skin Owl in a while, but I do like it a lot. 

The problem with a lot of the other oils is that they don't absorb well.  So instead of a hydrated glow, I look like a greasy fool in the morning.  

Darphin  - is a bit too rich.  My face survived last night, but I can tell this can't be a daily oil.  It smells divine though.

Sunday Riley - underwhelming.  Doesn't absorb well into the skin, feels a bit "thick".  

Caudalie - ok.  It smells like wood pulp.  And it doesn't absorb so well.

Ren - Ok, but doesn't absorb well.  I can't use it daily.

We will keep a watchful eye and avenge as appropriate. Safe journey.

*stares vigilantly at GC*

Happy Mothers Day to everyone who can appreciate a mum - of humans or fur kids.    

This was my Saturday night facial - 05/13/17:

Age - 42

Skin type - oily

Condition - sometimes dehydrated (I love my space heaters even in the middle of summer).  Otherwise all good.

Saturday Night Facial (Large).jpg

1. Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm

2. May Lindstrom Problem Solver

3. Pixi Glow Tonic (almost done with this bottle)

4. Caudalie Grape Water

5. UMA Deeply Clarifying Face oil

6. Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic+Retinol eye cream

7. Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil

My pups approve.

gave myself a bit of a facial tonight. skin is happy.

5/11/17 p.m.

CLINIQUE take the day off balm

JORDAN SAMUEL plié cleanser

PETER THOMAS ROTH pumpkin enzyme mask (was finishing up a deluxe sample. i like this stuff. while it's not my favorite peel/exfoliant, it's a sensory pleasure and is certainly effective; i'd consider repurchasing in the future)

PETER THOMAS ROTH bio repair rose stem cell mask. my HG for soothing hydration that also tones and plumps, left on for 2 hours

AVEDA botanical kinetics spritz

CLINIQUE moisture surge hydrating concentrate serum

KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream.

REN vita mineral omega oil

PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell bio repair cream

I love the PTR Bio Repair Rose Stem Cell mask!! HG status for me! 🙂

5/10/17 p.m.

PIXI x CAROLINE HIRONS double cleanse (both)

FIRST AID BEAUTY facial radiance pads

PIXI hydrating milky mist

CLINIQUE moisture surge hydrating concentrate serum

KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream

CLARINS blue orchid oil

PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell bio repair cream

first time using the clinique serum. first impression is two thumbs up !

Part two - Incorporating upcoming Cult Beauty X CH box products.

Sunday night PM skincare - 05/07/17

Age - 42

Skin - oily

Condition - good

20170507_PM (Large).jpg

1. Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing balm

2. Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peel - in the CB box.  This line of peel pads are my HG.  They can do no wrong.

3. Zelens Power D Treatment drops - in the CB box.  I got my brows and upper lip threaded today, so thought a good time to slap on some skin nutrition.  So, I thought I had more product left, but I spilled some in the skincare storage box.  Warning - the Zelens treatment drops keep opening up, after you have shut them tight.  Keep them upright if possible, so you don't lose some.  Maybe I do need to repurchase sooner than I thought.

4. Uma Anti aging eye oil.

5. Sjal Nutra Intuitif hydration creme - this is a winter favourite for me.  But I can use it all year round (in the PM).  I wanted some extra comfort today...so slapped a little bit of this over the Zelens drops.

I haven't updated in a while so I figured I'd go through my Sunday routine. 

Skin: Normal with a slightly oily tzone (completely different than before, but I think the change in skincare caused some of this- and updates to my diet.) 

Sunday Skincare: 

Cleanse: Tata Harper Refreshing Cleanser

Mask: May Lindstrom Problem Solver & Honey Mud equally mixed with a little water

Shiseido Retinol Eye Mask

Treat: Uma Total Rejuvenation Night Oil

Moisturize: Mahalo The Balm 

Seal: Fresh Rose Spray

Lip Balm: Bite BB for Lips: Natural

Spoiler
The Tata Harper Refreshing Cleanser is my favorite cleanser for AM or when I have not worn makeup that day. My skin bordered on dry for a while and cleansers would make it tight. There is no tightness with this one at all. It is gentle and does a nice job cleansing my skin. 

The May Lindstrom Mask cocktail is my favorite mask combo. The Honey Mud gives me enough moisture to help ensure I don't get dried out. Problem Solver really ensures my skin is clear all week. 

I've been trialing Uma Oils for a couple of weeks. I wanted to see if I could find a lighter oil than May Lindstrom's The Youth Dew. Turns out, Total Rejuvenation isn't it. It is a heavier oil and you only need maybe 2 drops. When I use it I'm completely moisturized. So much so, I have to use a lighter balm afterwards. 

Mahalo Balm is a light balm to me. I typically use May Lindstrom The Blue Cocoon. I like to use this one when I use a heavier oil. There is a bit of a tint to this one. Your skin can end up slightly orange. It fads by the morning for me. I wouldn't try this under makeup. 

Fresh Rose Water has been a long time fav for a rose spray. This is probably my last bottle because I found Rose Water on Amazon and I plan to just put that in a bottle going forward, saving myself about $25 per bottle. We'll see how that works.

It makes me sad that Bite discontinued their BB for lips. I am glad I bought a ton of it. I have a couple of back ups. I've gone through 2 thus far. It makes my lips feel amazing. 

Sunday skincare.jpg

Sunday Facial.jpg

Hi guys!

So I decided to structure my routine this Sunday to showcase the products that are in the upcoming Cult Beauty x Caroline Box.  

More details here:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hauls/Beauty-Gift-Bag-Enthusiasts-Information-Photos-and/td-p/235800...

Also in spoiler:

Spoiler
1. Pixi Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse - this is the only product I have not yet tried.  But it is a no brainer on my "well worth trying" products.  

2. Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peel pads - these are my one true love.  I use the extra strength version more frequently these days, but the original ones are the gold standard.  I will use the pads in my PM routine today.

3. Indie Lee CoQ toner - used below. 

4. Zelens Vitamin D drops - will use these in my PM routine today.  I am getting my brows/mustache threaded today....will be a good time to use this.

5. January labs Moisture balancing lotion - used below.

6. Tata Harper Restorative eye cream - This is my HG eye cream.  I use it during the day mostly, but it can be used AM and PM.   I have often recommended it here.  I didn't restock after my last empty because I had a small pile of other "good" creams to use up.  But it is time for me to get this back...

AM skincare - 05/07/17

Age - 42

Skin type - oily (and often dehydrated)

Condition - doing well

20170507_AM (Large).jpg

1. Ren Evercalm cleansing milk

2. Pixi Glow Tonic

3. Indie Lee CoQ toner - I like this, but it isn't necessary in my routine.  If you are using lighter moisturising products, or have used a stronger acid - this can be quite nice.  It takes the edge off the acid, and can be a nice base layer for another hydrating product.

4. January Labs Balancing lotion - It has been a while since I used this.  I believe I first tried it when it was much cooler, I was a bit meh.  But I like it much better today.  It is light and non greasy.  I think oily skins will quite like this.  If your skin is dry, I would combine it with an oil or layer it with an oily serum (like Zelens Vit D - see spoiler).  

Random note - Although my skin is oily, I incorporate a little oil (even just 2 drops) in my AM and PM routine almost daily.  

5. Farmacy Eye Dew - this is a nice eye cream.  It is "good", but not "great" on me.  My favourite is the Tata Harper Restorative Eye cream which I have repurchased many times.  It is also in the Cult Box.  I didn't repurchase after I ran out the last time because I wanted to get through some of my other eye products that were piling up.

@greenchilli Thanks for this helpful post! I wonder if you'll buy the cult beauty box x CH? Do you think it's worth it? 

@lauriebos

I think the Cult Box is entirely worth it - IF you will find these products useful in your routine. The box contains some of my HG products, and others I quite like. 

I am not sure yet if I plan to get it, for 2 reasons.

1.  My Zelens Vit D bottle still has a lot of product in it, and I don't go through it quickly.  It is very beneficial for stressed out skin, but if you have normal healthy skin (and have a pretty robust skincare regimen)  - you may not find you need such a spendy product daily.  Hence I go through it slowly.  So I'm not sure I want a full bottle as a back up...it will be a while before I get to it.

2. The Indie Lee toner - I have a lot of product still left.  This product is actually the most "take it or leave it" of the box.  It is nice and all, but not necessary in my routine (I have other hydrating spritzes that I love).  

In this box the discount is good, and I won't be wasting any of the products, but I might have to store a couple for a while.  Dunno.

Totally agree with @greenchilli comments @lauriebos but wanted to add that the vit D drops are excellent paired with very active serums if you have more sensitive skin. I mix the D with the zelens intense defense antioxidant serum or retinol which my skin couldn't tolerate otherwise. I am just about to open my fourth bottle since it came out last year. 

Thanks @lipstick4soul I think it will help as I use retinols 1-2 times a week and get good results but more than that, my skin over react . I'll try it to see if it helps to upgrade a little more. This box is the best way to try it and see how I like it. 

@greenchilli Thanks a lot! I will probably try it as I do not have any of those products and I'm very curious about the Tata eye cream.

5/4/17 p.m.

skin condition: happy !

CLINIQUE ttdo balm

NUDE omega jelly cleanser

FAB facial radiance pad

VICHY aqualia thermal serum

KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream

REN vita mineral omega 3 optimal skin oil

PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell bio-repair precious cream

yeah, kinda the same ol' same ol', but i've been reinspired to just stick with what i know what works for me, keep each step very intentional and purposeful while not going overboard. the only variable here (ie, newish product) is the PTR rose cream, and so far, i'm loving it. (another variable in the routine, not seen here as i switch cleansers out, is the jordan samuel plié cleanser, which i'm also loving so far)

Anonymous Insider

PM

IMG_5397.JPG

Is it Tuesday or Friday?  I know this is a skincare thread, but the mind is the first to go people!

PM skincare - 05/02/17

Age - 42

Skin - Skin type oily, good condition.

20170502_PM (Large).jpg

1. Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm

2. Oskia Renaissance Resurfacing Mask

3. Caudalie Grape Water

4. UMA Total Rejuvenation Night Oil - massaged into damp skin.  This is an excellent oil!

5. Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic+Retinol eye cream

perfect

testing